24 months for a first and final written warning.

Associate
As per the title has anyone ever heard of a final written being given for this length of time ?

The reason for asking is the wife has just been given this, she has nothing else on her record and is deeply upset about this.
What makes it worse is two of them where accused of the same things but the other person got away with not much more than a verbal warning while she got this.

I don't wish to go into too much detail as this is ongoing but any input or advice would be appreciated.

Caporegime
Written is 12 month as is final but my senior manager is the only one to dish those out. I can only do up to written. I would appeal tbh but need to be careful of the severity of what she has been done for. If you can prove someone else has gotten less than her for the same thing she will get away with it. The amount of times I have done someone for something that a more lenient manager has given less means they get away with it if they can prove it.

Does she have any sort of union? Those guys can wriggle out of anything :p.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.
Neither have we seen this before but have a feeling this is personal as they provided no evidence no written statements or anything.

Associate
OP
No she is not in a union.
It is only a small company 6 people in total, everything was fine until the owners wife came on board and then the problems seem to have started.

Caporegime
Owners wife....

With all due respect, she's never going to win that battle.

If she gets unfairly dismissed she could take it to tribunal of course but i'm guessing you don't want it to come to that.

In such a small company I can only assume they were overheard slagging her off or something?

Associate
OP
I know but you have to try.
The wife has described her as intimidating and a bit of a bully who likes to shout a lot.

Caporegime
It is only a small company 6 people in total, everything was fine until the owners wife came on board and then the problems seem to have started.

That is a tricky one. The company I work for employs thousands so rules need to be followed and there are ways to deal with disciplinarys. A company with 6 people and the owners wife seems dodgy as is. Something like that would go down as corruption in our business alone (The owners wife being given a seniority role in big business without a fair interview).

I guess you could always take it to court but then your wife would have to leave after that anyway.

Caporegime
I think it is a bit different if not performance related... like you mention two people being accused of something and another getting away with it to some extent.

Commissario
Without hearing both sides of the argument from an impartial third party, nobody in here is able to say whether this is an acceptable decision or not.

If it were me, or my wife then I, or my wife would be looking for alternate employment straight away.

Caporegime
Its only a guideline that employers should give 12 months for final written warnings.

There are circumstances sometimes where employers, certainly at the other end of the scale, where they're taking a step back from dismissal and they may say at that point, "Well, look, rather than giving you a 12-month period here, we're going to extend it to 24 months". And then you look at the contract of employment and they won't have the power or the ability to do that. But ultimately, in those circumstances, an employee who has been given an extra life in terms of employment isn't really going to make a complaint about that.

Out of interest what does her contract of employment/handbook say about length of final written warnings?

But if i was your wife I would be looking at moving jobs ASAP. If she gets another job I would still consider taking my old employer to a tribunal if they have broken the rules.

Soldato

Ugg. That sounds like a horrible situation. I'd suggest she look for another job ASAP as I suspect things will go downhill from here. Best of luck!

Sgarrista
Commissario
Need more details to be honest. What was the supposed incident, what evidence do they have etc? Is it a good job? does it pay well? Did you wife have plans to leave?

Soldato

The owner's wife wants your wife gone. Best to look for another job and not deal with the hassle she's going to have over the next year until owner's wife finds an excuse to sack your wife.

Back
Top Bottom