• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Covid19 impacting upon GPU availability?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Curious about thoughts on if / when people believe that Covid19 will impact upon the availability (and thus prices) of GPUs.

I read that Samsung closed one factory a couple of weeks ago. I’ve no idea what that produces, but I understand that Nvidia might well source memory from Samsung.

Chances are that both AMD and Nvidia source from some of the already affected countries.

My personal view is that this could not only push up prices if stock availability starts drying up, but also possible delay launch of the new chipsets.
I haven't seen any genuine price changes recently.

Doom mongering or realistic?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Realistic - I was at OcUK at the weekend, and both Gibbo and fiveub were mentioning that it was affecting supply of everything from GPU's to Chairs.

not the overpriced chairs !? they will have to crank up the price even more now lol

Caporegime
Curious about thoughts on if / when people believe that Covid19 will impact upon the availability (and thus prices) of GPUs.

I read that Samsung closed one factory a couple of weeks ago. I’ve no idea what that produces, but I understand that Nvidia might well source memory from Samsung.

Chances are that both AMD and Nvidia source from some of the already affected countries.

My personal view is that this could not only push up prices if stock availability starts drying up, but also possible delay launch of the new chipsets.
I haven't seen any genuine price changes recently.

Doom mongering or realistic?

@Gibbo has already mentioned all his re-stock prices have increased and therefore the prices of GPU will be going up and I imagine it won't be by a small amount either. Expect to see 20-50% is my guess. If things get really bad you could see no supply at all. So they could be sold to the highest bidder.

I might stop gaming for 3 months and just sell my 2070 super for a profit if prices triple.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Re-supply has shot up massively, but saying that in hindsight I purchased vast amounts of stock sometime ago and thus generally were able to maintain prices but at same time we will generally follow market trends on price and from time to time do a really strong deal to make some noise, but in general for now prices are not bad but re-supply is certainly more expensive or zero availability.

Time will tell but we expect March and April to be very tough on supply as some factories are still totally shut down.
Even factories that have opened, component factories are either shut or not fully operational which basically has the effect of impacting production everywhere.

Associate
Even factories that have opened, component factories are either shut or not fully operational which basically has the effect of impacting production everywhere.

Gibbo, does this mean that you expect any new launches to be paper launches, or at best cardboard launches?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
to be fair, i'd rather we get this virus under control as best as possible than risk it just to have cheaper stuff! Pc components are the last thing I'm thinking about purchasing at the moment!

Caporegime
to be fair, i'd rather we get this virus under control as best as possible than risk it just to have cheaper stuff! Pc components are the last thing I'm thinking about purchasing at the moment!
It is all wholly out of proportion at the moment, relatively, the number of cases popping up around the world are tiny, for example, if these statistics were ranked along with all the other causes of death around the world each day then this wouldn't be even registering, something I don't feel the media wants to point out, it spoils a great story.

If it starts rocketing up that league table then I'd be starting to sweat for sure (hopefully,not literally! :D) but, at the moment, there's plenty other of known nasties out there already killing thousands+ globally each day that I think I'd rather they concentrated their resources on first.....

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It is all wholly out of proportion at the moment, relatively, the number of cases popping up around the world are tiny, for example, if these statistics were ranked along with all the other causes of death around the world each day then this wouldn't be even registering, something I don't feel the media wants to point out, it spoils a great story.

If it starts rocketing up that league table then I'd be starting to sweat for sure (hopefully,not literally! :D) but, at the moment, there's plenty other of known nasties out there already killing thousands+ globally each day that I think I'd rather they concentrated their resources on first.....

I'd say it's pretty serious having to lockdown entire cities, its possibly only a matter of time until the same happens elsewhere and even in the UK.

It's more to do with personal circumstances for me though too. I have both my Mom and Step Dad live with me who are both in their 70's and I'm a carer for my Mom outside of work. If they end up getting something like this Covid19 then I'd be very worried and if I end up with it and end up infecting them I'd never forgive myself. So I'm quite happy to put up with some inflated prices if it means we can get a handle on this virus

OcUK Staff
Gibbo, does this mean that you expect any new launches to be paper launches, or at best cardboard launches?

I’d expect stuff to be postponed by 2-3 months potentially, virus control out ranks product launches, shows, meetings, travelling right now.

AMD and Intel events were cancelled, Computex will no doubt be postponed or cancelled and even if it’s not I’ve made the decision I won’t attend as I’m simply unwilling to travel anywhere at the moment that may risk me getting quarantined or stranded somewhere, it’s not worth the risk.

I had a personal vacation planned with Ferrari and Ferrari for obvious reasons have cancelled due to outbreak in Italy and they have also cancelled everything except critical business trips.

So you can bet it will impact the entire industry especially those with factories in heavily impacted regions.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
jesus look at the price of that wow. related to this maybe? if so things are gonna get silly and it will be hold onto my cash time.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £248.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)
Lol. I got the non plus version for less than half the price a few months ago :D

Not sure what difference the plus version makes, but I bet it ain’t worth paying more tha double for.

Soldato
It's not just pc hardware

local furniture and clothing stores around me today announced they are expecting 2 to 3 month delay in stock orders, you've got Apple who just told its investors that it won't be able to meet iPhone demand for all of 2020. My local pc store just had 2 big stock orders get update to delayed for 2 months or allocation - where you can order what you want but nothing arrives or very few. Several small businesses are currently applying for government assistance as they have run low on cash flow particularly tourism and restaurants

we are in for a tough year. If you were going to build that PC I'd do it now otherwise you'll be paying a big premium for the little stock going around soon.

I'm currently awaiting parts for RMA and I hope it doesn't get delayed as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom