bet365 boss pays herself £265 MILLION

Soldato
Is it quite common to ban accounts?

I've seen common things enforced such as maximum stakes on certain sports where people have an affiliation...e.g. if they are a trainer of a horse for example. Typical 'pushbacks' scenarios such as card counting etc are very difficult to do online, and also easily caught so I can imagine it's possible, but to say it's common for a 'winning' streak is just baseless.

Not aware of anyone in this sector who bans players for getting on a winning streak, the usual run is to limit their bonuses but let them play knowing the odds eventually fall in the house's favour.

Plenty of people have been banned because of their winnings, it actually happened to me years ago. I remember watching a documentary about how bookies operate, there was one guy that was winning loads of golf and another on rugby - both had no issues when on a losing streak but as soon as they started getting into the black by thousands, the bookies closed their accounts after a 'business review'.

Associate
Plenty of people have been banned because of their winnings, it actually happened to me years ago. I remember watching a documentary about how bookies operate, there was one guy that was winning loads of golf and another on rugby - both had no issues when on a losing streak but as soon as they started getting into the black by thousands, the bookies closed their accounts after a 'business review'.

Unless they thought you were affiliated with the sport, or thought you were dark betting the events it doesn't make any sense for them to ban you.

Soldato
Unless they thought you were affiliated with the sport, or thought you were dark betting the events it doesn't make any sense for them to ban you.

Does it not? They don't like winners. All they want is people to lose. They don't care about 'responsible gambling' like you see on the TV, that's because they're forced to do so. Over time, the house SHOULD win but not always. Easy way for them to safeguard their money is boot out those that regularly do win and prey on those that are likely to keep racking up losses.

Associate
Does it not? They don't like winners. All they want is people to lose. They don't care about 'responsible gambling' like you see on the TV, that's because they're forced to do so. Over time, the house SHOULD win but not always. Easy way for them to safeguard their money is boot out those that regularly do win and prey on those that are likely to keep racking up losses.

You've said it yourself, over time the house should always win...so why would they stop you? Unless like I stated, they have suspicions you aren't just a 'punter' and have done things to give you an edge in some regards.

Soldato
You've said it yourself, over time the house should always win...so why would they stop you? Unless like I stated, they have suspicions you aren't just a 'punter' and have done things to give you an edge in some regards.

Let's just end it there. You have an opinion you won't budge from, so be it. I'm sure if you do a little digging around online you'll find plenty of examples of what I'm talking about.

Associate
Let's just end it there. You have an opinion you won't budge from, so be it. I'm sure if you do a little digging around online you'll find plenty of examples of what I'm talking about.

I don't necessarily disagree that it happens, but more the reasons why.

These things aren't reviewed by a person. At least where I work it's AI/ML driven flows that make them decisions, your 'winning' streak probably follows betting patterns very similar to people we flag to be in the know so to speak.

Caporegime

Of course it does, to them. It depends on the approach of the book some will value sharp players/handicappers for price discovery. Some are acting more like a market/intermediary and recognise that.

Most don’t though, most bookies don’t like winners* and will ban them or limit them to comically low limits (better PR than just banning) as they seem them as taking profits that should be theirs/don’t believe they need them as they’re not running an exchange but rather they're on the other side of all bets.

Exchanges have some of this dynamic too even - as unlike a proper regulated exchange in say finance sports betting exchanges are a bit more like the Wild West with liquidity provision and potentially more actively undertaken by the exchanges themselves - this provides obvious conflicts of interest. Profitable third party participants could face additional charges or be banned depending on their activities.

*by winners I mean people who have actually got an edge, not someone who has in the short term happened to be in profit/someone who has gotten lucky against the odds but who, if they carried on, would still be a loser or be placing -EC bets in the long run.

Caporegime

They generally wouldn’t if you’re not actually a winning player - random mug punters can win a few bets and be up in the short term, I wouldn’t consider them to be “winners”. Granted they could quit and never bet again but that’s a bit moot.

If you’re winning, in the long run, then you do have an edge. This doesn’t mean you’re an insider/affiliated with some sport etc... there are plenty more out there who are either interested in handicapping and more still who might simply compare prices/do a bit of “line shopping” to use a US term.

Soldato
José Mourinho, what an oderous individual ...he is doing tv 'The one' advertising for online gambling paddypower now ?
I suppose it's no worse than Rooney, with his (ex?)gambling problems sponsored by 39red

Soldato
Gambling Commission admits that it's toothless, with betting companies running rings around it in their quest for more £££'s

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ng-outgunned-by-online-betting-companies-nao?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51665132

Even major players like William Hill are turning a blind eye to money laundering, happy to line their pockets from drug cash and who knows what. It's clearly a cartel, laughing at the authorities.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ng-firm-mr-green-fined-for-systemic-failings?

Mr Green accepted a photograph of a laptop screen showing currency in dollars on an alleged cryptocurrency trading account as adequate source of funds proof.

The statement included a claim that the industry would “ban betting on credit cards”, a measure its chief executive Michael Dugher insisted betting firms “fully and publicly” supported.
However, responses to a consultation on the credit card ban by the Gambling Commission last year show that every online gambling company that submitted evidence opposed the measure.

Soldato
Even major players like William Hill are turning a blind eye to money laundering, happy to line their pockets from drug cash and who knows what. It's clearly a cartel, laughing at the authorities.

"Mr Green said the failings took place before William Hill bought the company and had “since been addressed by the introduction of new processes”."

So looks like William Hill sorted the problem rather than turn a blind eye as you claim.

Soldato
Gambling Commission admits that it's toothless, with betting companies running rings around it in their quest for more £££'s

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ng-outgunned-by-online-betting-companies-nao?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51665132

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ng-firm-mr-green-fined-for-systemic-failings?

Most betting sites dont even ask for this kind of info when initially placing bets.

They wait until you want to "cash out" before they even check your age, never mind anything else.

Back
Top Bottom