Other half not been paid from ex employer

dal

dal

Associate
Hi, so my misses was dissmissed from her job 3 weeks ago and as she was on monthly pay has had to wait for her wages. She has spoken to someone who still works there and his wages went in today. I had a idea they would mess her about from some of the other things Ive heard about them ( they seem like a right **** company to be honest ). She was only there a few weeks and never got a contract of employment but then again it seems like some of the others didnt have one either.
Anyway I get the feeling they will try and get away without paying her. She's tried ringing them but they are not picking up. I told her to give them until tomorrow afternoon to pay her or respond then we will have to go through some official proccess. I've not looked into it much at the moment but from what I gather ACAS is the way to go.
Has anyone been in a simular situation before, any advice.

Cheers

dal

dal

Associate
OP
No contract of employment ? As it was just 3 weeks do you have any evidence at all she worked there ? They could well just try and wriggle out of it saying "never heard of her guv!".
Well she has had a mileage payment from them so yes she's got some proof although it doesnt prove how much work she done for them.

Soldato
Not saying don't chase it up - however, no contract of employment - how do you know what she was supposed to be paid? 3 weeks work, depending on the value of those 3 weeks and the potential time/money/effort spent to recover it, I would consider just moving on with life.

Without any paperwork - could be a long/hard job to get anything.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Not saying don't chase it up - however, no contract of employment - how do you know what she was supposed to be paid? 3 weeks work, depending on the value of those 3 weeks and the potential time/money/effort spent to recover it, I would consider just moving on with life.

Without any paperwork - could be a long/hard job to get anything.
Well it's a gross amount of around £1100 so not just going to move on

Caporegime
Presumably she has some evidence of having worked there - like an offer letter/email etc.. or other records of e-mails/texts/phone calls etc..etc.

Regardless sounds like it could be one for the "small claims court" - then send round the bailiffs...

GlLeQam.jpg

(They had an episode where they dealt with this sort of scenario - business owner deliberately delayed paying out of spite but soon coughed up the owed wages when they turned up)

Caporegime

That might seem like a lot of money to you. But the lawyer you need to hire to fight the case will demand that for 2-3 days work.

It will be cheaper to just let it go but I'd certainly write a few letters threatening legal action and spend 10 mins on social media slating them.

Soldato

I ain't saying give up and move on - What I am saying is think about your time and effort involved in trying to prove what she is "owed" - you have nothing to back up what you are saying she's owed, and without proper legal representation, you are likely to struggle. Thus costing yourself more money and time.

Has tax been paid? NI? - remember all those would need to be paid from the £1100 so net is likely to be around £850.

With no contract of employment, nothing in writing to confirm the wages owed - you've got nothing to start with. It's your word against theirs.

Small Claims court/baliffs won't touch it - Unless there is evidence of a contract in place, and that contract stipulates the wages due, termination, probation period etc - they won't waste their time on it.

Also you say your missus was "dismissed" - exact how was she dismissed? Did they sack her? Breach of contract? Gross misconduct? Layed off? seasonal work?

Not trying to sound harsh but as @Psycho Sonny says - send a letter outlining your argument and what you believe is due....then hope for some kind of contact from them.

Soldato
There is evidence, they have paid her mileage into her bank so that it's proof she has worked for them .

not really - it's a single payment from another bank account - it's not evidence of employment/hours worked

Get a letter drafted requesting the payment and send it recorded delivery or personally hand it in.

It's still not clear how she was "dismissed" - this could be a reason for non-payment of some kind.

Soldato
I wasn't paid for 2 weeks after I left my last job, they'll make some random deductions and stuff then pay on the next run most likely, if they're legit..

Associate
The best course of action is to ;

1)Send them a letter detailing what you are owed demanding they pay with a view of threatening legal action.
2)Contact ACAS and go down the employment tribunal claim.

In the future ;

Always have a signed contract of employment
Gather evidence of hours worked (Rotas,Clocking in records, emails/texts from your employer confirming your shifts).

/End

Back
Top Bottom