Parquet Flooring 1960s

Associate
I’m in the process of basically gutting and redoing our (new to us) 1960s home.
In doing so we have lifted the carpets downstairs (brown) and found what appears to be a fitted teak parquet floor. It is attached directly to the concrete slab with what appears to be very thin black sticky mastic or bitumen.

Im hoping to be laying a new laminated wood floor this weekend and pulling up the parquet but wondered if anyone knows of easy ways for disposal. Seen it does sell on eBay but only in small lots. I have around 40m2 of the stuff. It’s all small finger type in 5 finger sections.

I tried a local reclamation yard but he wasn’t interested. If it’s in fashion I may sell it. If it’s not would it be best to take to local waste or can it be burnt? I hate wasting something that can be used by someone else.

anyone have any idea what the black adhesive would be? I need to check the slab once it’s all up but current plan is a dpm/underlay to go direct on slab on top of adhesive and then the laminate on top. I’m hoping to avoid have to get the black goop off as had a quick go scraping it and it didn’t shift easily.

Soldato
It's probably bitumen
Or special adhesive
Personally I don't understand why you
Would choose to replace solid
Wood parquet with laminate
But that's just my personal choice
Obviously
But yes you could burn it
Especially if got a stove
Parquet is usually at least an inch thick
Or more and dense
It takes a fair bit to burn it

Associate
OP
It’s a personal preference really. I cant stand the look of it. Hate the pattern, colour and finish. Glued directly to slab it is also quite cold. It’s small finger flooring so it’s only about 9mm thick so nothing substantial. I would prefer a real solid replacement floor but the laminate choice is purely cost. Have whole house to do and whilst this needs doing it’s not high up my list for major expenditure.

no stove in the house but have chimnea for bbqs in summer. Concerned about fumes/smoke from the adhesive stuck to back of some bits though if I burn it.

Soldato
It’s a personal preference really. I cant stand the look of it. Hate the pattern, colour and finish. Glued directly to slab it is also quite cold. It’s small finger flooring so it’s only about 9mm thick so nothing substantial. I would prefer a real solid replacement floor but the laminate choice is purely cost. Have whole house to do and whilst this needs doing it’s not high up my list for major expenditure.

no stove in the house but have chimnea for bbqs in summer. Concerned about fumes/smoke from the adhesive stuck to back of some bits though if I burn it.
Years ago a friend of mine bought
3000 pieces of parquet
And paid me to remove that black
Stuff
And the varnish so from personal
Experience that stuff is ******* hard
To get off
Yes probably will smell /fumes if
Burn it with the black stuff on it

Soldato
leave it the effort involved in removing it to lay laminate is crazy, you can usually sand and refinish it and then buy some cool big rugs which you will likely want with that much laminate anyway. If you are set on removing it then it will be a hard slog with scrappers, don't burn it the fumes will be horrible list it on ebay or facebook and someone will come and take it away I'm sure.

Soldato
I'd suggest removing it if you really don't like it, offer it up to local gumtree or something, however no takers just skip it.
I guess by doing laminate you'll be putting a underlay down which should provide a thermal barrier between the concrete and new flooring.

Soldato
Yeah don't burn it in anything indoors, it would harm a chimney with the traces of adhesive and whatever varnishes have been used on it.

Personally i'd get it refinished and stained to your taste, just seems a bit crazy to rip out real wood to put down fake plastic wood like in the 60's when everyone ripped out fireplaces.

Associate
Replace solid teak parquet flooring with plastic fake wood....

google pictures of it restored and lightened before committing to removal - if cost is an issue then the quickest and cheapest way is to do this

also getting all the bitumen off the concrete with our damaging the surface will take you a long long time

Soldato
Does sound bonkers to consider lifting it, let alone cleaning up the pieces. That bitumen is nasty stuff, brittle if cold and gooey if hot.

Can't you just lay insulation and floor over it? It should be a good solid base.

Soldato
Years ago a mate phoned me and said bring your trailer I have some wood for your log burner - it turned out to be maple and Oak parquet flooring - needless to say it was laid down in my new porch and hall - stick your new flooring this stuff was beautiful. - If you don't want it put a advert in somewhere and offer it for free but they must get it up but i am sure you could sell it.

Associate
OP
After lifting some more bits today it appears the bitumen/adhesive is only about <1mm think across the whole floor and was used purely as an adhesive. The floor is also in a very good condition so should be able to go straight over the top. Planning to place a DPM sheet across the whole floor and then lay the underlay and new flooring.

Old flooring is going to go bagged on ebay/gumtree for a cheapish price as just want shot of it. Won't be burning it. The wood itself some in 80 finger "tiles" which were glued down with the black bitumen paint.

I have some local repairs to do for <10mm deep faults but nothing major.

Biggest problem seems to be that the slab has cracked and lifted around 1 of the radiators so got a plumber coming to have a look. May have to have the pipe replaced/moved if it has failed and water has caused the cracking. Will see what the pro says before I go further.

Associate
OP
... surprised no one mentioned asbestos in the bitumen yet ... have you had it checked. ?
eg. https://community.screwfix.com/threads/parquet-flooring.167314/

Not had it checked but read the same things which is one of the reasons I want to avoid disturbing it. Current plan is now to just leave it in place and seal it in with a plastic membrane. The floor we want is not forever and we hope to have something better fitted in a few years so if it can last that long then I'll let the pros deal with it.

Associate
OP
Ahh - I was thinking it was herringbone parquet flooring like the Victorians did. I have twigged what squares mean - rubbish

Herringbone I would have found more interesting but probably still have replaced. This is it currently. I just don't like it.
y4mV1Bbi7mIuUBgJpLb9BXR9wPO52Dezf-vGeKzQ-UPqKP0ZTzPHEfKX_RZtFeFoma21AoygTN5WEaBAF42la-DhJTRWWzAWD_JwyWOCfFFAr29Gyu8Nj6kb9dc1iGjvMktP7G6pAwbFmvc0KqFBUnnSOLctzox9TgSCVcbavO6b9Df7_A7M8KPAx0M7wJU41txGOpVZVAIN-y3cuZnIraf5w

Associate
OP
Did say it was horrible. Had it been nice herringbone or a designed pattern then maybe it would have stayed. This just feels like 1960s/1970s early laminate lol.

spent today painting the walls and new lights are up. You can’t see the original 5 bulb brass chandelier which was in that room. Now a new modern Philips Hue ceiling light in its place. Slowly getting there and the floor will be last step once it’s all here and I have the time.

the “parquet” is going on eBay as job lot. It’s sell or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t it’s going to the skip in a few weeks.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I’ve got the same in my house on the ground floor (of what is left of the original house :p), horrible looking stuff, reminds me of my old school hall. I was wondering why anyone was saying to keep it as to me "parquet" means what you have
Ahh - I was thinking it was herringbone parquet flooring like the Victorians did. I have twigged what squares mean - rubbish

Back
Top Bottom