Premier League Hall of Fame

Caporegime
You really can't think of anyone who might have won more? Like his teammate Giggs for instance who played in the same team every season Neville did plus some more before and after him? ;)

The reason to avoid fan vote isn't so much unconscious individual bias in my opinion. It's fan groups mobilising themselves via forums to deliberately bias a vote. Such as what happened with the stand at the Etihad nearly being called the 'Bell End'.
Maybe read my first post where I suggest Giggs as the first player to be inducted.

Soldato
Maybe read my first post where I suggest Giggs as the first player to be inducted.

That just makes it weirder that you think Neville's "Must be the best trophy haul in premier league history."

Given this forums insistence on making it difficult to connect members posts together (since we all have the same avatar), I'm not going to apologise for not linking your two completely contradictory posts as being made by the same person. :D

Caporegime
That just makes it weirder that you think Neville's "Must be the best trophy haul in premier league history."

Given this forums insistence on making it difficult to connect members posts together (since we all have the same avatar), I'm not going to apologise for not linking your two completely contradictory posts as being made by the same person. :D
I see your point, I did word my post poorly. I wasn’t asking for your apology, just saying that I fully recognise how great Giggs was.

Soldato
BTW, all those not rating Irwin are just proving the 'recency bias' mentioned by someone earlier in the thread.

Not really, some people have mentioned players like le Tissier and Cantona, so you're going back ~25 years for those!

Maybe eventually he could be inducted, but i'd say there are a lot of players who've made much bigger impacts on the league than him.

Caporegime
Not really, some people have mentioned players like le Tissier and Cantona, so you're going back ~25 years for those!

Maybe eventually he could be inducted, but i'd say there are a lot of players who've made much bigger impacts on the league than him.

Only Ashley Cole I would say has been a better left back. He is easily in the top 3 of premier League era.

Soldato
I'm not saying he wasn't a very good player. He certainly was.

But you've said it yourself, you don't even believe he was the best left back in the PL. Given there are 11 positions on the pitch, to be elected i'd argue you have to be regarded as the very best, not forgetting it's always going to be harder for a defender/goalkeeper to make the list.

It's why i said above that i'd prefer them to open with at least 10 players to try and give a better spread.

Man of Honour
fan vote is a problem, there is a huge recency bias

Agreed and also a bias towards players who played a lot at clubs with the most fans. Someone like Shearer who never played in Manchester, Liverpool or London is probably at a natural disadvantage in a fan vote. Even more so for foreigners or players who didn't get to star in international tournaments (Shearer would inadvertently get some kudos from playing for England, Euro96 etc, even though it is supposed to be based on Premier League).

My first two picks would be Shearer and Giggs. Top goalscorer and legend who delivered over many years. Don't see how anyone could justify putting the likes of Cantona ahead of them, he played what 5 seasons in the PL, only once in his entire career did he get 15 league goals (I'm not saying goalscoring is all that matters), and launched an attack on a fan. Legend of MU yes; inaugural inductee to PL HoF, definitely not.

edit: re-reading that I can see that the first two inductees aren't voted for by fans, but the shortlist for future ones is. So hopefully Shearer get in the first tranche.

Back
Top Bottom