Baldur's Gate 3

Associate
Pretty sure in the video swen (larian dude) says that they were asked by wizards of the coast to use the dnd 5 rule set which as is dnd is turn based not rtc with pause. so everyone saying that its larian's fault that its turn based should be asking questions of wizards instead!
I don't think that really has too much to do with it, the older games also had their combat mechanics based on pen & paper rules which had combat flow in a turn-based initiative order.

The D&D 5e rules would likely just be getting used in the background to run calculations and generate things like stats, probabilities of success & damage, so that sort of stuff should work in a similar fashion for both a real-time or turn-based game.
With how much the new game resembles Divinity: Original Sin, it just feels a little bit like Larian were being slightly lazy and decided to use the combat system that they already developed with some variation to adapt it from their rule set to the D&D 5e rule set.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty sure in the video swen (larian dude) says that they were asked by wizards of the coast to use the dnd 5 rule set which as is dnd is turn based not rtc with pause. so everyone saying that its larian's fault that its turn based should be asking questions of wizards instead!

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were based on Dungeons and Dragons second edition rules, they adapted them to real time with pause. Saying "DnD is turn based" is meaningless given all pen and paper role playing games are turn based, Baldurs Gate as a computer game series was not turn based until Larian came along.

Larian are obsessed with TB combat, they've always been pretty open about the fact.

Associate
I wonder if they're too far along to implement both styles? Haven't played it yet but hasn't pillars 2 done this? Albeit the other way around.
Only worry with that non-combat turn based ability it'd be a bit of a mess design wise.

I think people just wanted a beautiful, well told story in the original style. If they can deliver that and their dos style they should be able to keep everyone happy.

Man of Honour
I wonder if they're too far along to implement both styles? Haven't played it yet but hasn't pillars 2 done this? Albeit the other way around.
Only worry with that non-combat turn based ability it'd be a bit of a mess design wise.

I think people just wanted a beautiful, well told story in the original style. If they can deliver that and their dos style they should be able to keep everyone happy.

Probably too late to implement both styles, as you point out with so many abilites based on turns it would take a pretty hefty rewrite of things to allow the abilities to work both in turns and in realtime. On the plus side, I still think it will be a superb game, which will look beautiful, have many great moments, deep gameplay and a good story. Its a must buy for me and I can look past it being turn based rather than RTWP. I'm already pretty hyped for it and to be quite honest I'm now looking forward to BG3 more than I am looking forward to Cyberpunk. Plus D:OS2 was absolutely awesome in co-op, so I'm pretty excited to run BG3 in co-op in the DOS engine too.

Associate
I feel it would have been better off being named Baldur's Gate: Something Something like Dark Alliance was (or Descent into Avernus). I don't think the game is going to be bad, I think it'll be good for what it is but it's not going to be like BG1 or BG2. If we throw out what makes Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate, then surely this is BG4 because Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus would be BG3?

Soldato
I'm over the moon and genuinely hugely relieved that it's going to be turn-based; and I'm a die hard Baldur's Gate fan who bought each on their day one release dates.

Associate
Probably too late to implement both styles, as you point out with so many abilites based on turns it would take a pretty hefty rewrite of things to allow the abilities to work both in turns and in realtime. On the plus side, I still think it will be a superb game, which will look beautiful, have many great moments, deep gameplay and a good story. Its a must buy for me and I can look past it being turn based rather than RTWP. I'm already pretty hyped for it and to be quite honest I'm now looking forward to BG3 more than I am looking forward to Cyberpunk. Plus D:OS2 was absolutely awesome in co-op, so I'm pretty excited to run BG3 in co-op in the DOS engine too.
Looking forward to playing this in co-op as well, also hoping they implement the Game Master mode that they added to D:OS2 as it could make this game a really good alternative to some of the virtual tabletops for people who play D&D with friends online.

Associate
Looking forward to playing this in co-op as well, also hoping they implement the Game Master mode that they added to D:OS2 as it could make this game a really good alternative to some of the virtual tabletops for people who play D&D with friends online.
That's a good shout. I think Neverwinter Nights used to have a feature like this too, but i can't really remember as my only real memories of NWN was the game crashing.

Man of Honour

Yeah, the GM mode in DOS is extremely well done, very versatile, can make some really good stuff with it.

Associate
That's a good shout. I think Neverwinter Nights used to have a feature like this too, but i can't really remember as my only real memories of NWN was the game crashing.
Yeah, NWN had a pretty decent set of tools for creating maps and stories that could be played by other people... spent many hours back in the day producing mini campaigns in those tools.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I must be one of the few who thought the Divinity series was hugely overrated, Pillars is by far the better game in gameplay, Story and atmosphere (even if its still in the chasing gods to become a god mould) Boring easy, plot writing, I want HERO`s and Adventurer's not wannabe god children and the like.

ISO RPG in the Conan universe please :)

Associate
I must be one of the few who thought the Divinity series was hugely overrated, Pillars is by far the better game in gameplay, Story and atmosphere (even if its still in the chasing gods to become a god mould) Boring easy, plot writing, I want HERO`s and Adventurer's not wannabe god children and the like.

I liked Pillars - though I don't think I've finished it..... - and it's far closer to what I'd call a Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale game. Heck, even some of the music

Associate

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire was easily my game of the year when it came out, definitely preferred it over the D:OS games as I felt like Pillars was a much more serious story.
I was a bit saddened when I learnt that their team weren't the ones making this game, I still think it'll be a decent game and that I'll enjoy it but part of me feels like Obsidian would have been a better fit.

Back
Top Bottom