***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Squats - bar path isn't always straight, but not the end of the world. I'd like to see a bigger belly of air. Yea, rep 3 was terrible, my bum shot back because I brought the weight too far forward

Deadlifts - no major issues. Head should be more inline with torso, you look up. Don't let it curve your back as you come back down. Either drop or keep it strict on the way down. I've watched in slo mo and I don't think my back is actually curving till the plates hit the floor but because it's happening quite quickly it looks like it's all happening at the same time.

Bench needs work. Keep your arse on the bench, your losing stability as you unrack. Lower the weight, your elbows are flaring out ridiculously. Can't quite see the bar path from that position. You push the bar forward with your shoulders as you re-rack - I probably do this too, but not ideal. Bench is the most recent thing I've been really trying to work on and I'm trying to remember a million things, flaring elbows I forgot about. I promise my unrack isn't normally as bad, pins are too far away. I'll try and get another vid on Monday with a better unrack. I keep my bum on the bench for the reps but didn't for the unrack as I was trying to get some extra length to be able to unrack it. On Monday I'll try and do it again with everything above in mind :p

I hate Pendlay rows, but plenty of people love them. I'll do T bar row variations, rows off the rack etc. Then again, I also love silly heavy weighted shrugs :p

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I appreciate you taking the time! I've added some notes.

Soldato
At least you ask for feedback, I wish most people in my gym would!

I don't really understand this attitude and I mean in life generally. If you're not doing something correctly, why bother?

I've got a friend who I was trying to give a few friendly pointers to when squatting (he's got about 8kg on me and squats a max of 80kg) and he just got annoyed that I had the gall to try and help. It's very strange to me.

When I started stronglifts I would ask my training partner who only had a few month's gym experience to keep an eye on my form and tell me what he thought I was doing wrong. It helped me massively.

Man of Honour
I've got a friend who I was trying to give a few friendly pointers to when squatting (he's got about 8kg on me and squats a max of 80kg) and he just got annoyed that I had the gall to try and help. It's very strange to me.

Happened in my gym too. The guy had a massive go at him. I respect the people who come over and say 'hey, your lifting big and often and don't seem injured, I got injured recently, do you have any tips?' and then we'll have a long conversation about it.

One of my friends noted my squat depth was off by an inch or two and I found this massively helpful going forward. My knees have also been great since I've noted myself a tiny bit of inward travel at high weight.

Man of Honour
@ShortWarning : keep your chest up with your rows because you're not keeping your back flat (note the curve between your shoulders).

Otherwise nice to see somebody doing Pendlays well.

As @CaptainRAVE implies, however, Pendlays are quite specific so you could always swap them out for T-bar, single arm dumbell or snatch grip RDLs... Another good variation is the chest supported/seal row, but that is refinement for the sake of refinement.

But don't do narrow grip shrugs. ;)

Soldato
I wasn't planning on training over the weekend (I don't normally) but my friend invited me.

Ended up going for 1RM deadlifts (as that's what he was doing). I managed 150kg (at just under 70kg BW). Lot's of shaking and probably slight form break down. I went for a 160kg but couldn't even lift it an inch off of the ground.

Also managed a 50kg strict OHP (which I couldn't do a month ago) and a 60kg dip press which I was surprised about.

I know these are rookie numbers but I'm still pretty happy with it. :)

Man of Honour
I wasn't planning on training over the weekend (I don't normally) but my friend invited me.

Ended up going for 1RM deadlifts (as that's what he was doing). I managed 150kg (at just under 70kg BW). Lot's of shaking and probably slight form break down. I went for a 160kg but couldn't even lift it an inch off of the ground.

Also managed a 50kg strict OHP (which I couldn't do a month ago) and a 60kg dip press which I was surprised about.

Nice one

Funnily enough I had success with those 2 lifts over the weekend too. I'm still not squatting until I've had me knees looked at and making better progress now on other lifts I guess as a consequence. I am doing OHP more often than I was and that has helped me build it. Managed 50kg for reps and then did 52.5 for one rep to see if I could. It went up OK so going to try for reps later.

Man of Honour

It's all relative! Seriously good lifts for your weight - I weigh 15-20kg more than you and can't squat or DL like you. :cool:

Man of Honour
Well that was a grim session. I should be happy with my best ever low bar squats, but the reps after fell apart. Underfuelled and my head was spinning. I’ll try again next week. The random pain in the front of my neck was unexpected warming up.

Soldato
It's all relative! Seriously good lifts for your weight - I weigh 15-20kg more than you and can't squat or DL like you. :cool:

Thanks, man!

My back is seriously sore after the 1rm deadlifts on Saturday. Majorly struggled with squats last night. I'm not even sure I'll be able to complete my normal deadlifts tongght. We'll see!

I'm tempted by the RENPHO body fat scale.

Bench needs work. Keep your arse on the bench, your losing stability as you unrack. Lower the weight, your elbows are flaring out ridiculously. Can't quite see the bar path from that position. You push the bar forward with your shoulders as you re-rack - I probably do this too, but not ideal.

I've updated my bench with a better unrack (I think). Any pointers?

The bar is thicker than I'm used to and with my dainty little hands I couldn't stack it properly over my wrist.

Consigliere

Finally - someone who is the same bodyweight as me! :p

This helps a lot...i managed to hit 3 reps at 100kg at the end of 4x6 80kg on the deadlift so i know what to aim for.

OHP i am on 20kg with a PB of 25kg so looks like i need to push that more.

Dip press...when you say 60kg, is that when you use the assisted dip machine?

Soldato
Little guys represent! :p

It's just a push press (my mate called it a dip press). Essentially start where you would with a standard over head press, squat ever so slightly then back up to give you some explosion at the beginning of the lift.

Man of Honour
Thanks, man!

My back is seriously sore after the 1rm deadlifts on Saturday. Majorly struggled with squats last night. I'm not even sure I'll be able to complete my normal deadlifts tongght. We'll see!

I've updated my bench with a better unrack (I think). Any pointers?

The bar is thicker than I'm used to and with my dainty little hands I couldn't stack it properly over my wrist.

If you went for a 1RM deadlift on Saturday and then doing squats on Monday may not be enough time to recover, especially if you are going for low bar.

I'm still annoyed at myself over my squat session yesterday, but it was just one of those days. Next week I'll probably clear the session easily. I'd usually repeat the whole cycle, but I am just going to reattempt that particular week.

Bench looks decent. Strong bar path.

Last edited:
Associate
Managed 90kg bench and 140kg squat today. Really happy with the bench as it's easily my worst, just don't feel leg drive. Slightly annoyed I didn't think about getting them recorded.

This was the end of block 2 (2 months ish) of Reiyushin's beginner program. I've managed to stay consistent, no colds, no niggling injuries; feels good. I did do front squats for block 1 but didn't get on well with them and I high bar squat anyway so switched them to normal squats in block 2.

For perspective.
Start of Block 1 I set 100kg for squat and deadlift with both being conservative; 65kg bench which was fairly accurate.
Start of Block 2 140kg DL, 120kg squat and 80kg bench.

Commissario
Little guys represent! :p

It's just a push press (my mate called it a dip press). Essentially start where you would with a standard over head press, squat ever so slightly then back up to give you some explosion at the beginning of the lift.
64kg over here, can I be part of team lightweight?!

Soldato
64kg over here, can I be part of team lightweight?!

The more the merrier!

I was expecting to have a terrible session yesterday due to my body being horribly fatigued from the weekend but everything seemed really easy. 120kg deadlifts felt like nothing. 42.5kg OHP (I stuck on 45kg with poor form before) went up nice and easy as well. Hopefully it'll continue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom