Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Press release this morning says it's all still going ahead:

Australian Grand Prix Corporation CEO Andrew Westacott has issued the following statement regarding the Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2020, to be held at the Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit on 12-15 March.

“We are all systems go and gearing up for the 25th Formula 1® race in Melbourne next week,” Westacott said. “The finishing touches are being put on the circuit, Formula 1® freight and personnel are arriving in the coming days and we’re looking forward to opening the gates to the public on Thursday 12 March.

“The health and safety of everyone at the Formula 1® Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2020 is paramount. The Australian Grand Prix Corporation has robust health, safety and emergency management arrangements in place at each event and we are working collaboratively with health agencies and related government and emergency services organisations in addressing this matter.

“We continue to closely monitor the situation in the lead-up to the Grand Prix and are taking guidance from subject matter experts, including Victorian and National Chief Health Officers and the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee. At this stage there is no indication of further travel bans, nor is there any indication that Formula 1® and the teams will not be arriving as usual.

“Formula 1® has again confirmed overnight that the Australian Grand Prix is going ahead and we’re looking forward to welcoming them and the teams to Melbourne.”

https://www.grandprix.com.au/fan-zone/news/all-systems-go-formula-1-rolex-australian-grand-prix-2020

Caporegime
What’s the bet Honda engineers, Alpha Tauri and Ferrari staff all get temp scanned coming into the circuit or even on arrival at the airport?

If I were Ferrari, Honda and Alpha Tauri I’d be sending all non-essential staff away from the team bases and to Australia now and asking them to self isolate as much as possible. If even one of them catches it then it puts the whole team arrival and entry in jeopardy.

Soldato
A lot can and will happen, especially in Italy, in the week before they need to leave for Australia. Hell, it's even kicking off in the UK now, and it'll be more apparent in a week - F1 could be impacted massively, lots of races possibly cancelled.

Soldato
If the Aus GP doesn't take place I'm not sure when the first round will be!

Bahrain, possible I guess, depending on the next few weeks. Vietnam can't see that happening at all. Chinas already gone. Then we're into May and the European rounds who knows where we'll be by then.

Soldato
"Vietnam has updated its restrictions on access to its territory for nationals from the countries most severely affected by the coronavirus epidemic, namely China, South Korea, Italy and Iran. Vietnam’s National Tourism Board has stated that a 14-day quarantine (incubation period of the virus) will be imposed on all nationals of the affected countries upon entry:"

"“All travellers entering Vietnam from China, South Korea, Italy and Iran must make medical declarations and undergo a 14-day medical quarantine before entering the country. ”

https://thejudge13.com/2020/03/03/ferrari-alpha-tauri-refused-permission-to-race

Not looking good.

At this rate F1 could go bust.

Caporegime
"Vietnam has updated its restrictions on access to its territory for nationals from the countries most severely affected by the coronavirus epidemic, namely China, South Korea, Italy and Iran. Vietnam’s National Tourism Board has stated that a 14-day quarantine (incubation period of the virus) will be imposed on all nationals of the affected countries upon entry:"

"“All travellers entering Vietnam from China, South Korea, Italy and Iran must make medical declarations and undergo a 14-day medical quarantine before entering the country. ”

https://thejudge13.com/2020/03/03/ferrari-alpha-tauri-refused-permission-to-race

Not looking good.

At this rate F1 could go bust.

if the Italian teams don’t send staff back to Italy after Bahrain they should be OK I think.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Not just the Italian teams, there's Pirelli as well. Ok, the tyres are made in Turkey, but a lot of the personnel aren't in Turkey.

I can certainly see them running some events without a crowd there.

Soldato
They could go full e Sports for this season. After all, that's where most under 25s probably watch Verstappen and Norris.

Only they don't pay for the subscription. Or buy cars. Or Rolexes. Their parents do.
That's half of F1's problem in the UK right there. Sky Sports F1 in particular is like an old mans smoking club. There's no exclusivity or anything, just a bunch of doddery old men who don't really do or say much. The only saviours are Karun Chandock and Ted Kravitz. Even Brundle is a shadow of his former self.

Johnny Herbert especially is an abomination of a pundit. Considering his vast experience across a multitude of motorsport disciplines he provides absolutely nothing in the way of in depth knowledge or insight, instead resorting to trying to be a clown and putting in the odd cheap shot. And don't get me started on his commentary in F2 races where he doesn't even know half the names (Jack Russell anyone?). Fancy cutting Davide Valsecchi's commentary duties (one of the most fun and exciting commentators for years) only to get Herbert in!

Don't get me wrong, I grew up watching 1980s and 90s F1 and watching the likes of Hill, Brundle and Herbert, but the English-language side of F1 can provide far more than what we've got now.

I can certainly see them running some events without a crowd there.
I bet there will still be random shots of the (empty) grandstands just as the action peaks!

Caporegime
The joint statement from seven teams on Ferrari's dubious deal with the FIA is pretty explosive:

We, the undersigned teams, were surprised and shocked by the FIA’s statement of Friday 28 February regarding the conclusion of its investigation into the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit.

An international sporting regulator has the responsibility to act with the highest standards of governance, integrity and transparency.

After months of investigations that were undertaken by the FIA only following queries raised by other teams, we strongly object to the FIA reaching a confidential settlement agreement with Ferrari to conclude this matter.

Therefore, we hereby state publicly our shared commitment to pursue full and proper disclosure in this matter, to ensure that our sport treats all competitors fairly and equally. We do so on behalf of the fans, the participants and the stakeholders of Formula One.

In addition, we reserve our rights to seek legal redress, within the FIA’s due process and before the competent courts.​

The FIA have properly stuffed this up.

Soldato
Tricky to say the least, going to have to be a pretty optimistic move! Barriers feel very close to the action also a la Melbourne/Montreal.

Going to be all about qualifying and pit stop timing, Mercedes DAS tyre management marginal gains should play huge dividends here.

Where was the halo in Max's lap? Photoshopped out? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom