• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
Nice to know thanks, I never heard about that.

Can you confirm if that is for all of the 120hz sets or just the new models. Mine is this 2018 model https://www.whathifi.com/samsung-qe55q8dn/review I got it in the sale last year when the new models came out for £1100.

it looks like 2018 models only go up to 1440p 120hz. Not a limitation of a hdmi ports but perhaps a limitation of the CPUs/processor. The 2019 model do 4K 120hz with chroma subsampling and 2020 models will do 4K 120hz HDR using full rgb

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
it looks like 2018 models only go up to 1440p 120hz. Not a limitation of a hdmi ports but perhaps a limitation of the CPUs/processor. The 2019 model do 4K 120hz with chroma subsampling and 2020 models will do 4K 120hz HDR using full rgb
That has not been confirmed yet. We will not know for sure until the new cards are out.

Soldato
That has not been confirmed yet. We will not know for sure until the new cards are out.

Why would we need new cards? Try to re-read my post. Applying chroma subsampling on a 4K 120hz image creates an output that fits inside hdmi 2.0 bandwidth

if you still don't understand how this works watch this

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why would we need new cards? Try to re-read my post. Applying chroma subsampling on a 4K 120hz image creates an output that fits inside hdmi 2.0 bandwidth

if you still don't understand how this works watch this

Edit: My bad, I just noticed in the quote that it is a Samsung TV that is being mentioned. So to be fair reading your post without that information you can see why I would be saying what I did. So yeah I read your post just fine, just did not read what you was quoting :o:p;)

The reason for the confusion was some people have said that 2019 LG panels which have HDMI 2.1 may not be able to do 4K 120hz HDR using full rgb. Hence my post saying this has not been confirmed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Correct...but none of the current GPU's have it.

I've not tried 4k/120hz on my LG C9 as 420/8 bit looks ropey but 422/12bit/1440p @ 120hz works great.

Last edited:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Seems to have got a little OT

4k gaming on console doesn't need to be 4k rendered IMO. You're 10ft from the screen. 1600p would do it and we're getting VRR on these consoles so it's suddenly going to be quite attractive.

I put my PC in the lounge to play tomb raider (shadow) and it looked immense on 65 OLED. At 1600p this is. The colours and contrast were really good. With VRR that would be close as damn it to PC gaming for me.

I think I'll ditch my PC this generation. The quality of the screens people have in their lounge now swings it for me.

Wouldn't mind a keyboard and mouse tho :D

Soldato
https://www.t3.com/news/ps5-and-ps5...-year-to-outflank-xbox-series-x-says-new-leak

More news suggesting that like the Xbox there will be 2 versions of the Playstation 5 available at launch...

If there are two versions of each system it'll be interesting to see what kind of prices each model sells for and the difference between them. Especially if the difference is more than just different storage capacities and one actually has a more powerful CPU/GPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems to have got a little OT

4k gaming on console doesn't need to be 4k rendered IMO. You're 10ft from the screen. 1600p would do it and we're getting VRR on these consoles so it's suddenly going to be quite attractive.

I put my PC in the lounge to play tomb raider (shadow) and it looked immense on 65 OLED. At 1600p this is. The colours and contrast were really good. With VRR that would be close as damn it to PC gaming for me.

I think I'll ditch my PC this generation. The quality of the screens people have in their lounge now swings it for me.

Correct. I am happy to use resolution scalers in games that support it and where 4k ultra doesn't hold 60fps. Typically I'm found in my testing that I can't tell the difference between 85% of 4k and 100% of 4k when sitting on my couch. 85% of 4k is 1800p, so this is where I am happy for games to render at. Once it drops under 85%/1800p then I can start to notice a difference however I sit closer to my screen than you, I'm only 4 ft away. If I was sitting 10ft away I think I would not be able to tell the difference between 1440p and 4k

Permabanned
Correct. I am happy to use resolution scalers in games that support it and where 4k ultra doesn't hold 60fps. Typically I'm found in my testing that I can't tell the difference between 85% of 4k and 100% of 4k when sitting on my couch. 85% of 4k is 1800p, so this is where I am happy for games to render at. Once it drops under 85%/1800p then I can start to notice a difference however I sit closer to my screen than you, I'm only 4 ft away. If I was sitting 10ft away I think I would not be able to tell the difference between 1440p and 4k

Well you are promoting what we are saying then 1600p to 1800p will be the conclusion the developers also come too. Alongside VRR they will never stick to 4k 60hz which is what the title and a lot of people expect.

I am going to bail on you all and leave it with a prediction you can mock me for but here it is the first major exclusive game for it aka the headline grabber will not be a 4k 60hz game unlike what the marketing was promoting. It will be 1600p to 1800p and within a 45-60fps framerate range but there is no way with VRR they will stick to a solid 60fps.

Indeed do not be shocked to see 1800p 30fps Crysis style games that really push the graphical envelope like Raytracing effects

Ste

Ste

Soldato
That's absolutely what will happen. I would rather have 1600p with the effects turned up and the odd VRR managed dip into low frame rates.

The fact it's on an OLED in my lounge wins the day.

To compete on PC you now not only need a very expensive GPU you also need a very expensive screen. Standard VA and IPS are so compromised once you're used to a quality big TV with local dimming or OLED. I'm also not convinced that 32 inch 4k monitors are worth it when you have to sit so close.

PC gaming for me will take a back seat. But I know that the me from 10 years ago would scoff at this, so not saying PC gaming will die by any means :)

Associate
Nice to know thanks, I never heard about that.

Can you confirm if that is for all of the 120hz sets or just the new models. Mine is this 2018 model https://www.whathifi.com/samsung-qe55q8dn/review I got it in the sale last year when the new models came out for £1100.

i have the same or very similar set (fn) i found enabling game mode makes it feel so much more responsive in games, but video content would feel odd, sped up somehow. easyest way to switch is to say "game mode" to the smart remote

Soldato
i have the same or very similar set (fn) i found enabling game mode makes it feel so much more responsive in games, but video content would feel odd, sped up somehow. easyest way to switch is to say "game mode" to the smart remote

Another thing to note with the samsungs is when playing 1440 120hz change the name of the input from pc to something else if not colours are washed out.

Soldato

No need to ditch the PC, Just build a gaming HTPC to keep under the TV ;)

Soldato
No need to ditch the PC, Just build a gaming HTPC to keep under the TV ;)

Agreed. One only needs a rx580 to compete with current consoles. Once new cards are released perhaps the 5700XT will become the new rx580 for a few hundred £ at most.

IMO it’s good to have the best of both worlds. Monitor for fps gaming. And large oled/QLED screen for rpg styled controller games.

Even comparing between PC, X1X and ps4 pro. The difference is very noticeable to me on my OLED. Sure the consoles do a good job. But the PC is a far cleaner, sharper image and with true 4k with smooth 60hz+. The freedom of settings and customisations on pc means I could never fully give it up.

Soldato
Agreed. One only needs a rx580 to compete with current consoles. Once new cards are released perhaps the 5700XT will become the new rx580 for a few hundred £ at most.

IMO it’s good to have the best of both worlds. Monitor for fps gaming. And large oled/QLED screen for rpg styled controller games.

Even comparing between PC, X1X and ps4 pro. The difference is very noticeable to me on my OLED. Sure the consoles do a good job. But the PC is a far cleaner, sharper image and with true 4k with smooth 60hz+. The freedom of settings and customisations on pc means I could never fully give it up.
At moment my HTPC has my old GTX 780ti in it with a 2500k CPU
But as soon I buy a new GPU (2080ti or 3080ti) for my gaming PC my old GTX 1080 will then go into my HTPC ;)
And I may upgrade the CPU to an AMD one

Soldato
Microsoft could totally demolish this tension if any game bought from them digitally could be played on either Xbox and PC at no extra cost.

Last edited:
Associate
Microsoft could totally demolish this tension if any game bought from them digitally could be played on either Xbox and PC at no extra cost.

Yes, but they'll want to sell the console, which is why we so very rarely see cross-play titles. Selling consoles is the prime motivation for exclusives after all.

Caporegime
Yes, but they'll want to sell the console, which is why we so very rarely see cross-play titles. Selling consoles is the prime motivation for exclusives after all.
Given the current cost of (comparable) PC hardware, all they have to do is not set the price at £1500, and they'll sell the console no problem :p

Back
Top Bottom