Mountain Biking

Soldato
Bike Park Wales was foggy this weekend!

IMG-20200125-143802-1.jpg

IMG-20200125-143808-1.jpg

Soldato
Gents

What do we all use for cleaning our MTB bikes post rides, I've seen a MUC-Off brushes in Halfords but wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendations before hand, also lubrication once cleaned

Thanks

Soldato
I take a battery pressure washer with me that’s about as powerful as an average hosepipe, as soon as the ride is over I wash off the mud and just leave it as is, then I look after the drivetrain when I get home.

Soldato
It's time to buy a new hardtail. I've done 3000 miles on my Voodoo Bizango that I bought in October 2016 for £400 :eek: I feel like I've had my moneys worth and deserve an upgrade!

The question is budget. My max is £2000 but if I don't need to spend that I'd rather spend a bit less and spend some on kit (could do with new shoes, spare shorts etc too) and save a few pennies towards the inevitable new road bike in the near future.

I want something cross country oriented. I have a full suss for trail centres, big mountain rides like Snowdon etc. The hardtail will be used for longer rides and multi day bikepacking mostly. I don't want anything with "aggressive" geometry or big travel. I need to be able to ride it all day comfortably like I can on my current Bizango

I like the look of Canyon but not sure about ordering without being able to at least sit on one first.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mounta...hmenfarbe=BK/WH&dwvar_2424_pv_rahmengroesse=M

I did also come across the new carbon Bizango which looks like pretty unbelievable spec for a grand. Bit heavier and forks not as good though? Have to admit I have a soft spot for them after some of the rides I've done on mine!

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...o-carbon-mountain-bike---s-m-l-xl-209438.html

I think ultimately most big brands will do a bike that meets my needs in my budget but anything in particular I should be on the look out for?

Caporegime
It's time to buy a new hardtail. I've done 3000 miles on my Voodoo Bizango that I bought in October 2016 for £400 :eek: I feel like I've had my moneys worth and deserve an upgrade!

The question is budget. My max is £2000 but if I don't need to spend that I'd rather spend a bit less and spend some on kit (could do with new shoes, spare shorts etc too) and save a few pennies towards the inevitable new road bike in the near future.

I want something cross country oriented. I have a full suss for trail centres, big mountain rides like Snowdon etc. The hardtail will be used for longer rides and multi day bikepacking mostly. I don't want anything with "aggressive" geometry or big travel. I need to be able to ride it all day comfortably like I can on my current Bizango

I like the look of Canyon but not sure about ordering without being able to at least sit on one first.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountain-bikes/cross-country-bikes/exceed/exceed-cf-sl-5.0/2424.html?dwvar_2424_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK/WH&dwvar_2424_pv_rahmengroesse=M

I did also come across the new carbon Bizango which looks like pretty unbelievable spec for a grand. Bit heavier and forks not as good though? Have to admit I have a soft spot for them after some of the rides I've done on mine!

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...o-carbon-mountain-bike---s-m-l-xl-209438.html

I think ultimately most big brands will do a bike that meets my needs in my budget but anything in particular I should be on the look out for?

Thought about a gravel bike, and adding more versatility?

I've just got one, and I'll probably get rid of my hardtail now and just keep my full susupension bike. You also won't need a road bike either then....

Soldato
Thought about a gravel bike, and adding more versatility?

I've just got one, and I'll probably get rid of my hardtail now and just keep my full susupension bike. You also won't need a road bike either then....
I have been considering it but a lot of the stuff I want to do on the hardtail I don't think would be as good on a gravel bike... Routes like the lakeland 200 etc. I'm not sure a gravel bike adds versatility in this instance. More like compromises to meet somewhere in the middle of road/mtb needs. I can understand getting one instead of a straight up road bike though

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Canyon Exceed after speaking to someone I know who has one (too small for me to bother trying it though) and given it won't have very wide tyres on it should cover the "gravel" side of things quite well and I will probably get a road/gravel bike later in the next year too

Caporegime
I have been considering it but a lot of the stuff I want to do on the hardtail I don't think would be as good on a gravel bike... Routes like the lakeland 200 etc. I'm not sure a gravel bike adds versatility in this instance. More like compromises to meet somewhere in the middle of road/mtb needs. I can understand getting one instead of a straight up road bike though

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Canyon Exceed after speaking to someone I know who has one (too small for me to bother trying it though) and given it won't have very wide tyres on it should cover the "gravel" side of things quite well and I will probably get a road/gravel bike later in the next year too

Yeah fair enough, that lakeland 200 looks pretty awesome.

I wouldn't be phased by the pressfit, IMO. Some good long term reviews on the grail without any creaking issues.

Plus you can always replace it with a PF30 threaded bottom bracket if it does become bothersome.

Soldato
I've got my eyes on the new Transition Scout to replace my Nomad 2. Looks lovely, don't know why but nothing SC do now other than the 5010 appeals, don't like the look of the bikes anymore, and the price is now the wrong side of 3k.

Soldato
Creaky never stay perfect for long IME.
Have you have experience with a press fit BB's yourself or just read about creaking from other users?
I've had a press it BB on my DH bike now for other a year without any creaks or issues at all. I was weary of getting a frame with a press fit BB after reading about creaking and other issues from but mines been trouble free.
I do wonder if a lot of the issues you read online is just user error, poorly fitted etc.

Soldato
New whip on the local loop

UPqXH5Xl.jpg

Already had Strava gold medals on pretty much the whole of Llandegla except the main downhill sections and all my local climbs :D

Got some big plans with this thing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom