Dealing with mice..

Soldato
Haha sorry! I was surprised at how well it worked in the video! He has quite a lot of humane traps on his channel

He releases any native species (he's not allowed to release any non-native species). Anything that is killed in a trap gets given to the local wildlife to eat.

Soldato
He releases any native species (he's not allowed to release any non-native species). Anything that is killed in a trap gets given to the local wildlife to eat.

Yeah I've been subscribed to his channel for a few years. No idea how it came up on my recommended videos one time but often has interesting traps. Both live capture and kill traps. He caught some big rodent recently and cooked it.

Soldato
Yeah I've been subscribed to his channel for a few years. No idea how it came up on my recommended videos one time but often has interesting traps. Both live capture and kill traps. He caught some big rodent recently and cooked it.

The nutra! Non-native species that is like a smaller capybara, introduced from South America, then all escaped when the fur market crashed. He said it was tasty. He has a weirdly hypnotic channel.

Soldato
The nutra! Non-native species that is like a smaller capybara, introduced from South America, then all escaped when the fur market crashed. He said it was tasty. He has a weirdly hypnotic channel.
That's the one! His daughter seemed to enjoy it as well. I know what you mean it's a channel I could watch for ages I like seeing the traps people send in and he tries out or watching him test out the live capture mice on the mice he captured/bought.
"Give it a little flip"

Unrelated to mousetraps and the like another two channels I like are The Exotics Lair and The Dark Den. Bizarre as I have a crippling and, quite frankly, pathetic irrational fear of spiders and insects in general. But it's made me fascinated with Tarantulas. Both are very easy to watch

Soldato
One year I stopped counting at 12 in the garage. 1 so far this year. I’ve had to put one out of it’s misery from a trap - quick and easy with 4lb hammer to the head.

bizzarly they also like 4-in-1 lawn food - the minerals and iron I think.

I have heard some scratching in the roof - one I suspect is a bird (pecking noise!) the other is more of a scrabbling at dawn/dusk. Not heard it since I went up there so I suspect that is a bird too
We did have one mouse die up there, it’s difficult for them to get there and it died from attempting to eat the insulation I think!

I had to pull the body of a large dead rat out of the pond before.

we have plenty of sheds etc that are homes to mice.

Putting traps down in winter is good - it mops them up as they look for wary food.

Soldato
So I put an unbaited trap and wouldn’t you know - a half eaten mouse..

so given we have more noises time to get medieval and order a load of traps. Pack of 12 and then set them up stairs.

Our roof is shared so I think they must be running along the guttering.

Soldato
So I put an unbaited trap and wouldn’t you know - a half eaten mouse..
What ate half of it? :eek:

I head some scratching a few weeks ago so started tidying and laying traps. No luck in that room, but I've now got scratching a floor up, have seen one run around a corner, and they've nibbled into my bag of poison.

I've caught one in the original room after a week or so but there's definitely at least one more. My house gets mice every few years as it's old and holey, usually I nip them in the bud but this time I feel like I'm being outsmarted!

Soldato
OP
Well needlessly to say I had to resort to poison in the end. Managed to catch 2 with traps but at least one other was way too smart for your bog standard trap and annoyed the hell out of me each night scratching.

After a week of laying the baittrap no more noise! Really didn't want to resort to poison but hey ho :rolleyes:

Soldato
Well needlessly to say I had to resort to poison in the end. Managed to catch 2 with traps but at least one other was way too smart for your bog standard trap and annoyed the hell out of me each night scratching.

After a week of laying the baittrap no more noise! Really didn't want to resort to poison but hey ho :rolleyes:
Enjoy the grace period before the smell... I think it's 3 weeks dead then 3 weeks of smelly. I've lived it a few times, quite quick to recognise that distinctive smell...

Soldato
I had a mice problem in my garage this winter, they tried to nest in my fishing tackle bag :(. I ended up using humane traps off amazon baiting with fruit and nut trail mix, i caught a total of 6 mice and have not any any more for over a month. Maybe just try changing what your baiting the traps with?

I had this, foolishly left an open bag of groundbait in fishing box :( I never saw one, just their sign, no idea how they got in, but after removing the food and cleaning everything they didn't come back.

Soldato
We have them in the loft, mostly in winter, we have snapper traps set with a cheese biscuit which works well . A big problem is if they start chewing the electric wires which happened to us, it blew the lighting fuse to one part of the house. I managed to find the dead mouse with the cable still in his mouth! I noticed an unused phone extension line chewed all along it as well.

Realising they could start a fire I then had no choice but to resort to poison bait granules, that seems to have worked as non have been in the traps for weeks now, they are probably dead among all the stuff in the loft.
There are videos on the net of mice walking up outside walls, squeezing into the tiny 15mm holes in airbricks and then they crawl up inside the wall cavity into the roof space, wall insulation does not stop them either.

Soldato
We had mice when I moved into this house, there were just floorboards and no skirting downstairs so it was really easy for them to get around. Watching tv in the evening we would see the places they came out from and routes they walked. So we put a load of sticky traps down, I know they are quite grim but nothing else seemed to work. Caught about 8 in the end, I would fold the pad up take them out the back garden and donk it with a brick so death was quick.

Now we have flooring and skirts we don't have mice anymore, well not where we can see anyway! Plus we have a patterdale terrier pup now so if he sees them he will be on the case :)

Back
Top Bottom