• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I think with Covid 19 we're looking at a smidge over 2K for the 3080ti, probably £2250-2400. Then in the Autumn they'll drop back to £1750.

Anybody who tries to profit from Coronavirus can catch it for all I care.

if the 3080ti is 2400 then I’m never buying green again.

Soldato

No card should ever be over £1000 anyways. It’s looking like I can’t afford PC gaming anymore it’s too much money. It’s a rich man’s game. Think I’m going to PS5

Soldato
It gets better for Nvidia

another new GPu has been spotted, this one has 124 cus at 1.1ghz and 32gb vram

that is 7936 cores!! This brings the output to 35 Teraflops

Man of Honour

Personally I don't care what they price the top end card - for all I care they can make something with 128GB VRAM and price it at £10K as long as there are cards below that which are actually high end parts with configurations to match and more reasonable prices and not as they've done of late - pushing out what are really mid-range parts and charging high end prices for.

Soldato

At those speeds its only 17.4 Tflops unless i am missing something. It would have to be running 2.2ghz to reach just under 35 tflops or are people just assuming what the final clocks speeds will be eventually.

There's quite a bit going on with these benchmarks, the reported specs, and what that means for the potential performance. For one, their measurement of FP32 performance is based on an assumption Nvidia may be doubling its floating points units in the next generation of GPUs, which would have the effect of doubling its performance in teraflops.

Just read that so now i get it.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I just ran geekbench 5 open cl compute myself. my overclocked 2080ti scored 131k points compared to the 220k this new hpc gpu does.

but what I find interesting is the result webpage that popped up said my maximum frequency is 1.5ghz, which is wrong since my card easily hits 2.1ghz.

So that tells me the 1.1ghz we see for these new cards is most likely incorrect, geekbench is not accurately reporting GPU clock speeds

Man of Honour

These rumours are unlikely to have anything to do with gaming cards.

With the amount of silicon required to do the above the asking price would make the RTX Titan look like a bargain basement give away.

Next rumour please.:D

Soldato

No need to be a downer :(

The v100 and Titan RTX score almost identical in the same compute benchmark, so perhaps the actual gaming version won't be that different from these obvious Tesla cards that are popping up.

I just tested my 2080ti, I get 131k in the geekbench compute benchmark, compared to the 140k of the v100.

I know it's not really relevant to gaming, im still hopeful if Nvidia can make these cards they can make a mean gaming card too.

Oh and all these cards are 7nm by the way - its impossible to fit the crazy cores counts we're seeing on 12nm so they are all 7nm.

Caporegime

With the amount of silicon required to do the above the asking price would make the RTX Titan look like a bargain basement give away.

Next rumour please.:D

While it is likely the HPC part I perhaps wouldn't; be so permissive. Nvidia sold Volta as an expensive consumer card, and big Turing is not much smaller than the Volta HPC part.

7nm+ is quite mature now, and the EUV + variant has higher yields and lower costs than the regular 7nm process. So i don;t think it is impossible that we see the HPC part at over 800mm2 again, and then the Ampere Titan/3080ti at well over 700-750mm^2 , although i am sure they would prefer under 600

Soldato
The way things seem to be going, I'm considering passing on the 3 series of Nvidia cards (I have a Gsync monitor so tied) and waiting a couple of more years for the 4 series.

MY 1070 @ 2000Mhz copes pretty well @ 3440x1440P with most modern games.

Cyberpunk 2077 might make me change my mind though.

Mobster
Soldato
Why is it nVidia's fault if suppliers and e-tailers price gouge ? nVidia will set the MSRP, the 'S' in MSRP is the important part. The rest is up to suppliers and the e-tailers. If they think they can get more they will gouge the **** out of you and throw in 'it's cause of the $ to £, or manufacturing issues'. You pay it, they will mark it up. Guess what would happen if no-one buys ;)

Mobster
Soldato
The way things seem to be going, I'm considering passing on the 3 series of Nvidia cards (I have a Gsync monitor so tied) and waiting a couple of more years for the 4 series.

MY 1070 @ 2000Mhz copes pretty well @ 3440x1440P with most modern games.

Cyberpunk 2077 might make me change my mind though.

False. You're not tied to any monitor regardless of what GPU manufacturer you own.

Back
Top Bottom