Looks like it's over for FlyBe

Soldato
Quite a shame, the government should really have stepped up and nationalised them or something, regional air is just as important to many areas of this country as buses/trains are to others. The government were far too slow in offering assistance and cutting taxes (passenger duty should never have been charged on regional flights in the first place).

Caporegime
Can't just go about saving every bad business, there needs to be a real lesson to learn, and that wont happen if the government steps in every time.

That said, the government definitely needed to save the Steel industry, it's strategic infrastructure...

Associate
Balls. Girlfriend booked flights last week back to NI in July.

Real pain since flying from Southampton is 5 minutes from work and can be in Belfast within 1.5 hours all in. If no other airline takes over I guess flying from london is the next option.

Soldato
That's Southampton airport practically useless now then :/

Can normally hear the flights taking off from my house, thought it was rather quiet this evening.

It seems nuts why our local airport was so reliant on one single airline company!

Years since I used it, back when IIRC Flybe did Southampton-Liverpool flights ~15 years ago, the check-in period was possibly longer than the flight itself. Stressful for my better half, but very convienient to visit family in Wirral and then drive back with the old family car. Gutted the flights stopped.

Associate
Years since I used it, back when IIRC Flybe did Southampton-Liverpool flights ~15 years ago, the check-in period was possibly longer than the flight itself.

I've only used it the last 3 years when going back to NI (other half is Irish) and it's always been great for me.

It's more like a bus stop than an airport, straight through everything and on the plane.

Southampton airport are doing a fairly large expansion at the moment - I wonder how this is going to effect that.

Associate
how do you land in mid air?
Think you have to fire up the giant treadmill :D

In all seriousness, I am genuinely saddened by their demise. Used them on and off for years for the BHX-EDI routes. As someone else said, I have/had a soft spot for them. The flight crews were always fantastic when I was travelling with young children.

Man of Honour
I've only used it the last 3 years when going back to NI (other half is Irish) and it's always been great for me.

It's more like a bus stop than an airport, straight through everything and on the plane.

Southampton airport are doing a fairly large expansion at the moment - I wonder how this is going to effect that.
Southampton airport’s runway extension was partly for providing resilience in this exact situation. If it was accessible to other single aisle jet carriers like EZY and RYR, they could at least step in and pick up some of the high load factor routes.

Southampton is my favourite airport. Like you say, park up and walk in 30 mins before your flight, breeze through security, and pretty much step straight onto the plane. No charade of women with painted faces forcing perfume and Toblerone upon you. If only all airports could be like that.

Soldato
Shame. Used to use them every week for BHX -> Belfast City. Less frequently recently, BHX -> AMS once a month. People were always nice, but service almost always late.

Man of Honour
Real bad news for Southampton Airport. I worked in Belfast for 10 months and would fly to and from Southampton weekly as it was close by. If the extended runway at Southampton doesnt get finalised its hard to see what the future is for the airport if some other carrier doesnt step in.

Soldato
Shame, only used them once from Birmingham to Dusseldorf. It was a nice flight.

That's another travel app deleted off my phone.

Ryanair still handing there!

Soldato
I live right behind Southampton airport, right under the flight path. The last I saw on oughtthe news was that they had the funds to last to the end of the month so I thought it was suspiciously quiet this morning!

I does make me wonder what position it puts the airport itself in.

Associate
Balls. Girlfriend booked flights last week back to NI in July.

Real pain since flying from Southampton is 5 minutes from work and can be in Belfast within 1.5 hours all in. If no other airline takes over I guess flying from london is the next option.

I think now it's just EasyJet from Stanstead or Luton to Belfast International.

Back
Top Bottom