Doctor Who

Permabanned
The last three episodes were great I thought. It's the most I've enjoyed Who in ages and I was gripped for the whole thing. Was it perfect? No but I'm on board with the writing and the Doctor so "who" cares.

Soldato
Well Nerdrotic certainly is overly critical of Who and Picard and other stuff. I've never seen anything positive. Don't know why he bothers watching each week if he thinks it's that bad. Just don't watch it.

Steve, really.

People arent watching Who, I'm sure you have picked up on that by now. What you fail to realise is Gary was a massive Who fan who like MANY people view the franchise as completely ruined but still don't want to give up in the hope it might actually improve. You take issue with Gary because you don't agree with him. Well, pretty much the rest of the world does. fair enough, he goes to the nth often but that's what critics do - they are critical. you just dont like it, and the very fact you say you've never seen him say anything positive speaks volumes because he often does, just not about the sinking ships you refuse to admit have been destroyed. That really does say a lot about you.

If Gary chooses to stop watching then that's a massive fan walking away from a franchise he's grown up with. It's a big thing. 'Drinker, who arguable wasn't such a big fan to begin with, has walked away. After his last review he said he's done with it. Honestly, I'm not so sure that's such a good thing (though i don't blame him!) as we need critics like these guys to enable us to build a balanced opinion on these shows next to the paid and obviously biased reviews you'll find elsewhere online and in media. What we don't need is every show having it's own little isolated echo chamber, where everybody who participates loves the show and everything is all roses and blue skies and lush green grass. *PUKE*. I'd rather people call a spade, a spade and be honest. That earns way more respect from me.

And while we're on the subject Steve, i want to remind you of what you said back in Janauary When we tried to tell you the viewing figures were falling through the floor:
It's seriously not failing. Yes viewing figures are decreasing but it's happening all across the board. Viewers habits are changing and that reflected in the way that people watch and access shows.

The share of TV viewers for that day is a better judge of how a show is doing now. Also the AI rating of Doctor Who is still in the 80s where it's been for a LONG time.

https://comicbookhype.com/cosmicboo...r-600k-viewers-avoid-season-finale-in-droves/

Sunday’s episode of Doctor Who, “The Timeless Children,” saw 3.78 million viewers tune in, but what is especially troublesome for the BBC is the fact that the shows preceding Doctor Who and following both had a higher amount of viewers all in the same range.

Prior to Doctor Who saw Countryfile with 4.44 million viewers, and following Doctor Who saw Antiques Roadshow with 4.41 million.

Likewise, the remaining shows for the night all saw a similar amount of viewers (to Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow, NOT Doctor who - JM): Last Tango in Halifax had 4.17 million viewers, ITV’s McDonald and Dodds had 4.38 million viewers, and the 10pm BBC News also had 4.48 million.

So we see over 600k viewers turn off Doctor Who.

And that's where the BBC's once top earning export now sits. Below Antiques Roadshow. Chibs has ruined it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Again with the viewer figures. That clearly isn't an issue for the beeb and it's not areal problem either. When doctor Who is still the 8th most popular show of the day and still has 22% viewer share then that clearly show people are still watching, and that overall people watching tv has fallen.

Soldato
Again with the viewer figures. That clearly isn't an issue for the beeb and it's not areal problem either.

It's clearly not an issue that a big budget BBC sci-fi is being watched less than Antiques Roadshow? you are really sure about that?

When doctor Who is still the 8th most popular show of the day and still has 22% viewer share then that clearly show people are still watching, and that overall people watching tv has fallen.

7th of the day, a Sunday,but 49th of the week. Paints a different picture, doesn't it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Steve, really.

People arent watching Who, I'm sure you have picked up on that by now. What you fail to realise is Gary was a massive Who fan who like MANY people view the franchise as completely ruined but still don't want to give up in the hope it might actually improve. You take issue with Gary because you don't agree with him. Well, pretty much the rest of the world does. fair enough, he goes to the nth often but that's what critics do - they are critical. you just dont like it, and the very fact you say you've never seen him say anything positive speaks volumes because he often does, just not about the sinking ships you refuse to admit have been destroyed. That really does say a lot about you.

If Gary chooses to stop watching then that's a massive fan walking away from a franchise he's grown up with. It's a big thing. 'Drinker, who arguable wasn't such a big fan to begin with, has walked away. After his last review he said he's done with it. Honestly, I'm not so sure that's such a good thing (though i don't blame him!) as we need critics like these guys to enable us to build a balanced opinion on these shows next to the paid and obviously biased reviews you'll find elsewhere online and in media. What we don't need is every show having it's own little isolated echo chamber, where everybody who participates loves the show and everything is all roses and blue skies and lush green grass. *PUKE*. I'd rather people call a spade, a spade and be honest. That earns way more respect from me.

D'you mind if I just take a moment to appreciate the irony of you saying that, given what you said to me in the STD thread ;)

JRS you are both the most negative (by far) and the most frequent poster in this thread. It's just. So. Dull.

Soldato
You can say that but it isn't ironic or even true. You were the top poster in the original discovery thread, often picking on things nobody cared about and really did have nothing postive to say. You made twice as many posts in that thread as I ever have in this thread, probably 5 times as many in the same time frame considering my 68 posts are over the course of 14 years and the majority of mine aren't actually negative...

Not really comparable, but if it makes you feel better than that's great :)

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
You can say that but it isn't ironic or even true. You were the top poster in the original discovery thread, often picking on things nobody cared about and really did have nothing postive to say.

So, would you agree that I was someone who at the time could be said to "view the franchise as completely ruined but still [didn't] want to give up in the hope it might actually improve"? ;) Please know that I wasn't attacking you with that post, by the way. Or even commenting on the rest of your posting in this thread. I just thought it was funny that on the one hand you were defending people ragging on a TV show and decrying echo chambers, but complaining about my ragging on a TV show :p

Also, I'd dispute that my picking on plot holes, continuity mistakes and lousy acting was stuff that "nobody cared about". Or that I never had anything positive to say (VFX team made space look really pretty from day 1, and the show did improve some at times in season 2 before the catastrophic finale). But hey, I'll let it slide.

Soldato
So, would you agree that I was someone who at the time could be said to "view the franchise as completely ruined but still [didn't] want to give up in the hope it might actually improve"?
No because your level of nitpickery extended waay beyond anything else I've seen.

Also, I'd dispute that my picking on plot holes, continuity mistakes and lousy acting was stuff that "nobody cared about"

Fine, "stuff only you cared about". Like ships having the wrong number of decks, as just one of many examples. But no, this isn't a disco thread and I'm not retreading old ground again. After all, just this reply alone I'm sure will be spun as another negative reply in a doctor who thread when of course it isn't that at all, it's me correcting mistakes and half truths. You tried to be clever by insinuating my number of posts and level of negativity in the Who thread was comparable to your own in the Disco thread. It's not even in the same league. That's the end of that really.

Back to doctor who ...

Commissario
OP
As someone who has made my views very well known and has only watched one scene of the latest series, is it worth catching up with the last two episodes?

They are probably the best episodes of the season, and I enjoyed them. With regards to the "lore" I think it's been integrated as well as it could be, although still not sure how I feel about it.

I managed about twenty minutes of the first one (the penultimate of the series) and switched off. It's still utter garbage.

Back
Top Bottom