Need Opinions on mid 2000's Audi A3

Associate
Found the magic of my 1L Citroen Saxo wearing off (lol) and have been looking into the mid 2000's Audi A3's as they go for around £1000-£2000 for the sportback models and have even seen some S lines going for that low,

What are your guys opinions on them?

Soldato
I suppose it depends what you want from a car.

No doubt at that budget there are better cars around, and you're probably scraping the bottom of the barrel where things are likely to go wrong and need fixing just for the sake of an Audi badge. Looking on AT very quickly most seem to be around 140k miles.

For example a lowish mileage 2008 Focus
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003037974608?make=FORD&price-to=2000&radius=1500&postcode=wn73et&sort=price-desc&model=FOCUS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Associate
OP
I suppose it depends what you want from a car.

No doubt at that budget there are better cars around, and you're probably scraping the bottom of the barrel where things are likely to go wrong and need fixing just for the sake of an Audi badge. Looking on AT very quickly most seem to be around 140k miles.

For example a lowish mileage 2008 Focus
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003037974608?make=FORD&price-to=2000&radius=1500&postcode=wn73et&sort=price-desc&model=FOCUS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

I like the Aesthetics of the A3, want a few more thrill than the my current car provides, there are some nice leather interior examples on AT

Man of Honour
Why bother? Any badge prestige has long since vanished on a 15 year old 1500 quid hatchback and when you strip that away what does it offer that a much newer car doesn't?

A 1500 quid A3 doesn't provide 'thrill'.

Soldato
They've got to be one of the most dull and generic cars on the road, they're not very reliable and not that cheap to fix when they do go wrong and they're pretty uninspiring to drive.

There's really no reason at all to buy one at that kind of budget, there are far far better cars for the money.

Associate
OP
Why bother? Any badge prestige has long since vanished on a 15 year old 1500 quid hatchback and when you strip that away what does it offer that a much newer car doesn't?

A 1500 quid A3 doesn't provide 'thrill'.
I guess Thrill is subjective haha im sure it would be slightly more engaging to drive than a 1L hatchback from '03

Associate
OP
They've got to be one of the most dull and generic cars on the road, they're not very reliable and not that cheap to fix when they do go wrong and they're pretty uninspiring to drive.

There's really no reason at all to buy one at that kind of budget, there are far far better cars for the money.

What would you suggest for around 1500-2000 ish?

Soldato
They are as dull as ditchwater. The Honda Civic as suggested above will be better in every single way aside from perhaps perceived interior quality.

Soldato
I have - it was good fun

It might be fun for 5 minutes on a twisty road but to drive every day through a rainy town centre it must be one of the worst cars in the world. I don’t blame the OP for wanting to change: I think petrolheads forget how terrible old, small cars are as daily drivers due to the novelty / nostalgia factor.

Caporegime
It might be fun for 5 minutes on a twisty road but to drive every day through a rainy town centre it must be one of the worst cars in the world. I don’t blame the OP for wanting to change: I think petrolheads forget how terrible old, small cars are as daily drivers due to the novelty / nostalgia factor.
The thing is the OP is specifically asking for a thrill. An early 2000s Saxo, a car renowned for its great handling, is going to provider a much greater thrill than a base spec, mid 2000s A3.

If the OP actually wants a better/more comfortable/more reliable commuting tool then there are still better options out there.

Soldato
Old cars are great if you buy the right one. The A3 isn't exactly a collectable classic though, it's a generic hatchback.

Back
Top Bottom