Annoying websites that do not scroll properly

Soldato
I am sure you all know the sort of thing I mean.

Instead of scrolling smoothly, they scroll down for a bit and then jump. often in the middle of reading something and in a manner that makes it hard to go back to where you were. :(

(MSN and other news sites seem to be particularly prone to doing this)

Why are they designed to do this?

Soldato
They're not designed to do that.
Most of the time it's caused by adverts or images loading slow.
Modern web design will load different parts of the page asynchronously to give the impression that pages are loading faster. Then you start reading the content (because the text has loaded quickly) and an advert or image loads above it and pushes it down the page messing with your scrolling.
Some sites will only load content from further down the page once you actually scroll down to it, so you get things loading in long after the main page has first loaded.

Soldato
OP
They're not designed to do that.
Most of the time it's caused by adverts or images loading slow.
Modern web design will load different parts of the page asynchronously to give the impression that pages are loading faster. Then you start reading the content (because the text has loaded quickly) and an advert or image loads above it and pushes it down the page messing with your scrolling.
Some sites will only load content from further down the page once you actually scroll down to it, so you get things loading in long after the main page has first loaded.

Even happens with an adblocker (Set to aggressive) in place.

Any way of stopping it altogether? Or is it just one of those things...

Soldato
No way of stopping it.
Adverts were just one example of something that can cause it - and even with an adblocker, the site will sometimes set a specific dimension of screen size for the advert when it loads so even if you dont see the advert you still get the empty space where it should be and still get the shifting of other content when that happens.

It can also happen with images and css files (and many other things). These are part of the website you're trying to view and served from the same domain so it's not really possible to block them.

Soldato
What they need to do is come up with a new open web standard that stops crappy videos from auto playing and/or popping back up and auto playing in the corner if you scroll past.

Man of Honour
Yeah inline content that is either slow loading or triggered to load after you've either read a certain amount of an article or read a certain amount of articles. These sites generally aren't designed for the convenience of or imparting information to the viewer but to make money and amongst some of the worst designed sites on the internet :( my local news site will often heavily stall out the tab/browser on lower end devices due to how poorly the site is designed.

Commissario
What they need to do is come up with a new open web standard that stops crappy videos from auto playing and/or popping back up and auto playing in the corner if you scroll past.
You're spending too much time on the Daily Mail site. One of my users keeps complaining about exactly the same thing and I tell them what I've just told you ;)

Soldato
I hate those sites where the banner stays at the top of the screen when you scroll down. Means you can see sod all of the site.

Soldato
Yeah inline content that is either slow loading or triggered to load after you've either read a certain amount of an article or read a certain amount of articles. These sites generally aren't designed for the convenience of or imparting information to the viewer but to make money and amongst some of the worst designed sites on the internet :( my local news site will often heavily stall out the tab/browser on lower end devices due to how poorly the site is designed.

Many local news sites (Trinity Mirror Group) nearly all the articles have a video at the top with a sole purpose of showing video ads. Even if the video relating to the article turns out to be just some stitched together photos.

Soldato
The Daily Fail is awful too, randomly swipes over to another page sometimes.

(I like reading the comments for a laugh)

Back
Top Bottom