My New Car

Soldato
BMW have now come back with a repair estimate of 13-14k! Lets see what the warranty company say.

Soooo you're in for a decent payout I guessing? The car must be worth about, what, £4k now, so the repair will be at least triple what the car is worth. I'm guessing you paid about £23k for it back in 2010 and that is what you'll be expecting from the warranty company?

Edit: just looked back at your posts and saw that you in fact did pay £23k! I'm a real life Glass's Guide! :cool:

Soldato
OP
I think I’m in uncharted territory, so I don’t really know what the outcome will be. It’s not like gap insurance so no chance of a £23k payout unfortunately!

As far as I can tell I’m entitled to have it repaired up to £23k for each individual claim but if they make me an attractive cash offer I’d consider it.

Soldato
Not quite uncharted territory... a few years ago the engine went on my M5. Car was worth maybe 14k at the time and was under full BMW extended warranty. After the recovery, weeks of diagnosis and part replacement bingo, they finally put a new engine in. Total costs were in the region of 30k. They repaired it without blinking, and no cash offer was ever discussed - not to say they may not have been interested if I had raised it.

Soldato
OP
Not quite uncharted territory... a few years ago the engine went on my M5. Car was worth maybe 14k at the time and was under full BMW extended warranty. After the recovery, weeks of diagnosis and part replacement bingo, they finally put a new engine in. Total costs were in the region of 30k. They repaired it without blinking, and no cash offer was ever discussed - not to say they may not have been interested if I had raised it.

That's good to know. I've been struggling to find any examples of similar experiences.

Soldato
I think I’m in uncharted territory, so I don’t really know what the outcome will be. It’s not like gap insurance so no chance of a £23k payout unfortunately!

As far as I can tell I’m entitled to have it repaired up to £23k for each individual claim but if they make me an attractive cash offer I’d consider it.

I've just read into it a bit more. Due to the car's mileage, won't it be on the Driveline Warranty (over 100,000 miles this is the only warranty they offer). If so, £5000 is the upper claim limit.

Or did you buy the comprehensive warranty when the car was low mileage and have just paid monthly for the last 10 years??

Man of Honour
I've just read into it a bit more. Due to the car's mileage, won't it be on the Driveline Warranty (over 100,000 miles this is the only warranty they offer). If so, £5000 is the upper claim limit.

You can continue on a monthly comprehensive past 100k and the claim limit is the price paid for the car.

Soldato

Blimey!

What was it like once repaired? Did it feel much different than before it let go?

Soldato
OP

Or did you buy the comprehensive warranty when the car was low mileage and have just paid monthly for the last 10 years??

As Fox mentions, once the AUC warranty expired, I bought the comprehensive warranty and reverted to the monthly payment before it hit 60k, so got the top cover at the lower price.

Think I have Fox to thank for this recommendation as well!

On some approximate add ups, I've already had over £20ks worth of warranty work done on the car over the years.

Associate
As Fox mentions, once the AUC warranty expired, I bought the comprehensive warranty and reverted to the monthly payment before it hit 60k, so got the top cover at the lower price.

On some approximate add ups, I've already had over £20ks worth of warranty work done on the car over the years.
So you can have the warranty forever just as long as you keep up monthly payments? That seems like an extremely good deal. How much are the payments out of interest?

Soldato

£20k! What kind of warranty work have you had done? I’m intrigued to know now you’ve said that.

Soldato
OP
So you can have the warranty forever just as long as you keep up monthly payments? That seems like an extremely good deal. How much are the payments out of interest?

Yep. I think ~£54 a month now as it's gone up with insurance premium tax.

£20k! What kind of warranty work have you had done? I’m intrigued to know now you’ve said that.

Bear in mind this is at BMW retail prices. It's had all sorts done, off the top of my head... it's had two new intake manifolds plus various sundries, DSC hydro unit (part alone was £5k according to BMW), new intercooler and pipework, all new glow plugs and starter?, two new rear wheels, replacement damper, replacement fuel pipe in the rear arch which caused some other damage, some sort of comms unit, seat belt handover and rail, various rattles and bits and probably some other stuff!

Soldato
Is the claim limit per claim or in aggregate?

I have this extended warranty too, also paying £54~pm. I've not had nearly as much work done as you though!

I can't recall if the policy handbook said the claim limit was the 'value' of the car for each claim or in aggregate. Or if as you suggest above what you paid for the car.

I bought mine privately and we transfered the warranty.

nas

nas

Associate
Precisely - done this with my 2011 Mini JCW and 2012 325i

Soldato
OP
The warranty company are now picking through the service history so seems that they’re trying to wriggle out of it. I’ve got every invoice since I owned it though so I can even tell them when it had screen wash and tyres!

Soldato
The warranty company are now picking through the service history so seems that they’re trying to wriggle out of it. I’ve got every invoice since I owned it though so I can even tell them when it had screen wash and tyres!

:p they're going to hate you. I bet they're bargaining on finding something over the last 170,000 miles and 13 years which they can use to invalidate the claim.

"Sorry sir, we can't cover the replacement engine because we have found that in 2012 you used non BMW screenwash."

Back
Top Bottom