Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just convert CSV to OFX?
And those people are a niche. Most people will manage transactions/accounts/spending online as it's always up to date. I'm not surprised the FinTechs put little development effort into OFX etc.

Somehow i do not think its niche at all.
Monzo exports CSV or QIF... two very popular formats. You can even use the API if you want. My Monzo feeds directly into YNAB.

If you are using the new YNAB, I refuse to pay a monthly fee for a application that worked perfectly fine without before the company went full on money grab in the name of progress.... :)

Soldato
If you are using the new YNAB, I refuse to pay a monthly fee for a application that worked perfectly fine without before the company went full on money grab in the name of progress.... :)

So you're complaining that a modern bank isn't supported outdated software? Pretty sure old YNAB supports CSV too.

Soldato
OP
.... and it's done.

Just need to remember to update places such as PayPal, Audible, Amazon etc where my card details are saved.

/edit - Stuff like this makes me smile and think 'yup, this was the right thing to do'.

uY5HMr0.jpeg

I'll be moving from Natwest to Monzo full time once the mortgage has cleared and we are in the new house. I literally only get paid into my Natwest account everything else is set to Monzo. Our mortgage is due to come out of our Joint Monzo account. I have a few direct debits set up already. I love that it gives you a few days warning before it is due to come out.

Commissario
Well I’ve just started the switching process.
Two from here on the same day, how exciting :D. My completion date is the 12th so just over a week which is fine. I've chucked a few hundred quid over now and as per the above, updated places that use my card number to have the Monzo details. As far as I'm concerned, I'm effectively using the account as my main one from now.

Commissario
I changed PayPal to point towards my Monzo account earlier this week and I've just used it to buy an HDD through MM here. Unusually, the payment hasn't vanished immediately from my bank account. In fact, I don't even have notification of the transaction, even though it all appears to have gone through on the PayPal site.

PayPal balance was the primary method, bank account was secondary and the Mastercard the backup. I'd have thought this would be instant.

Man of Honour
I changed PayPal to point towards my Monzo account earlier this week and I've just used it to buy an HDD through MM here. Unusually, the payment hasn't vanished immediately from my bank account. In fact, I don't even have notification of the transaction, even though it all appears to have gone through on the PayPal site.

PayPal balance was the primary method, bank account was secondary and the Mastercard the backup. I'd have thought this would be instant.
It takes days for PP bank payments to show up in my experience with Starling, if you use the card payment it'll appear later in the day you paid.
The way PP deals with collecting payments is generally a bit **** from what I can see.

Commissario
I think I had my card as the preferred method of payment on my Nationwide account and it was instant. I really want PayPal balance first, card second and bank account as backup but I can't see how to specify the order on PayPal itself.

Soldato
Yea PP is crap how it works with payments but as said above, making payments with your card instead of bank account should show instantly. It does with Starling anyway. Anyting PayPal treats as a DD takes an age.

Associate
Anyone else find with Monzo it is sometimes impossible to set up a direct debit. I changed my car insurance to 1st Central and the online form refused to accept it. I have had it before with other direct debits.

Another problem for me is I receive a lot of cash and there is a limit of £1000 to be paid in every six months.

Soldato
Love my Starling account. I use it for everything as it's my main current account. Salary goes in and I have a bunch of direct debits on too. It's usually the only card I carry around with me. I've never had any issues with payments either. All transactions show up as an instant alert on my phone including eBay PayPal purchases. Even the sandwich van at work shows up an instant alert and their PDQ machine is wireless.

It will be even better once they release Internet banking access for Personal customers like what they have already done for Business customers.

Soldato
Welcome to full Monzo :D

When your direct debits appear in the scheduled tab you can select them and point them to a pot.
I wish Starling would do this - people have been asking for it since the beginning.

For the moment I'm happy with Nationwide as my main bank and Starling for spending money. Also Nationwide has graphs - Starling haven't pulled their thumb out and sorted out the useless Pulse yet!

Soldato
Been using Monzo as my main account for 6 months now. Do very little on my nationwide account of 11 years.

Can't believe all the main banks have been so slow to catch up. All their apps are terrible. Real time banking is the future.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
They've just all popped in so I've created a "Bills" pot with a nice associated picture and linked them all to the pot which is currently empty.

It's the future! Unfortunately some payments cannot be done, like Spotify and Netflix as those are just recurring card payments instead of direct debits.

Back
Top Bottom