What have you done to your car today?

Associate
When the z4m was having its inspection 2 plus mot in mid Feb I was told one of the exhaust brackets was rusty and it would fail its mot. I was told they would get the replacement part in and then test it. A week past waiting for the part to come in and I get a phone call saying its already done and ready to pick up (along with a bill for 1900 to cover service, mot, new battery, non warranty repairs and warranty excess to cover 1500 ex vat worth of repairs). All done and finished I thought.

Got a phone call today out the blue from them, it turns out that the exhaust bracket is part of the whole rear section and not a separate part. So they did something to get it though the mot. Then over the past couple of weeks have been speaking to BMW about what they could do as it's not covered by the warranty. Turns out BMW are going to cover the full cost of a complete new section before it does fail an mot in a year or two. Very kind of them I think.

Soldato
Replaced the alternator on the RAV. After 15 years and 125k, it decided it’s days of power generation were behind it and left me in the outside lane of 3 at rush hour with a flat battery. Fortunately I carry a spare battery/jump leads and was able to jump it/run long enough to get off the road and fit the spare battery.

Alternator replacement was an exercise in frustration. It’s located at the rear of the engine about a foot down behind the block, the Toyota process is to drop the full n/s shaft/ball joint and get at it from underneath. Yea, that wasn’t happening. 10 mins later and armed with little more than my ‘pocket’ 1/4” socket set and harsh language, the intercooler, brackets, loom and pipework have been removed/moved enough to allow access, all be it you have to work blind for most of the job... rather than risk dropping an alternator on your face.

Soldato
Gave the TVR some love today. Hadn't driven it in a couple of months - had been misfiring horribly and the weather has been crap.

New king lead, cleaned all the plugs and reseated all the ht leads and she started up beautifully... except the idle went from 900rpm up and up and up until I cut the engine at about 4000... Throttle cable not turning fully. So a bit of manipulation of the cable until something gave a little clunk and back to normal.

Hurrah! Time to drive it. At which point the batteries decided to die in the immobiliser fob :p.

New batteries and she finally got to stretch her legs :).

Soldato
Oil change and loosened tie rod nuts in prep for changing the rods next week.

Hit a point where I'm sick of the motor trade again so DIY time it is...

Soldato
Fitted a bluetooth battery monitor.

After the alternator failure I figured the battery will likely have taken a beating, rather than break out the multimeter or dealer level diagnostics kit, this seemed like a reasonable option. So far it’s been reasonably insightful, I can see cranking output, charge level and charging voltage. Having tested it by running the battery down slightly, push notifications also work and it’s surprisingly accurate (+/- 0.02) compared to the multimeter and only draws a claimed 1mA.

Soldato
Removed the alternator after it died a few weeks back, must have snapped ~4 rusted bolts on the undertray that im now gonna need to remove!...
Now to source one as this is beyond repair looking into it just how feasible it is.

Also sourced a gearbox so got that to do in the coming weeks, but may have to palm that job off.

Associate
Fitted a full Ramair intake, turbo elbow and turbo muffler delete.....

IMG-20200305-WA0002.jpg

And gave her a wash...

20200302-201941.jpg

Soldato
Fitted a bluetooth battery monitor.
Which one? d be interested to know how the battery on the mrs qashqai is doing...

Fitted a full Ramair intake, turbo elbow and turbo muffler delete....
Lovely job! Have you noticed much difference in sound or pickup? Been looking myself but not sure what to do (mk7 gti)

Removed the stickers from my new Golf GTI TCR. And washed it.

(Apologies for the rather large images)

wcnRUT6.jpg

eFfM6uJ.jpg

Thats gorgeous! Not seen any on the road. where are in the country?

Associate
Lovely job! Have you noticed much difference in sound or pickup? Been looking myself but not sure what to do (mk7 gti)

More intake noise, usually have it in Individual mode so I dont get the fake speaker intake noise. More turbo whistle and dump noise - but not obtrusive.

Turbo picks up a about 500k sooner as its getting more air in, first mod before it gets an APR Stage 1 map.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom