3900x Temps High? 2x 360mm Radiators

Soldato
Hi All,

I was talked out of using the 240mm all in one kit to cool a 2080ti and 3900x so went the complete opposite way and made a custom loop using:

2x EKWB LC Coolstream 360mm radiators
EKWB Velocity CPU heat exchanger
EKWB Classic GPU block and backplate
EKWB / Lian Li G1 Distribution plate

I've only had it installed around 2 hours and the GPU temps hit 55c max but the CPU temps are hitting the 70's. Am I doing something wrong? or is that 'normal'?

Soldato
hitting the 70s doing what?
my 3900x hits 70c if run prime95
sitting here with 5 browsers open 10+ tabs in each
its 42c
all my fans are at 1000rpm max
though got more radiator than you
but 2 x 360mm should be plenty

Soldato
What's the water temperature at that point?

If you don't have a specific reading, context will be good e.g. are the radiators very warm, has the GPU been under load a long time too, etc.

If your water is at 40-45° from a long gaming session and your CPU is under heavy load, then 70° might make sense.

If your GPU is at 56 I expect your water is 40-50°. So your CPU is 20-30° over water temperature as an estimate.

Is it overclocked? What is the core voltage? Is it fixed or variable?

Soldato
OP
I've just been running CPU-Z's stress test and CoreTemp reports temps of 86c. Seems very toasty to me. Is that what you'd expect?

Radiators are cool to the touch and when I cease 'testing' the CPU temperature returns to early 40's within 20 seconds.

Soldato
OP
Bit of an update... I had the water pump plugged into the AIO pump output on the motherboard. I've swapped and connected it to the Waterpump outlet and the pump seems to be running 'faster'. I thought it was running cooler but actually not.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think gaming ~borderlands 3
My gpu gets to 45c
Cpu about 62c
No manual overclocking just PBO
Though was a while ago I checked when first got the 3900x
So I might be couple of degrees out
On the cpu
But Prime95 small ffts it's 70c
As LuckyBenski said there are variables
Pump speed? Fan speed? Make of fans? As well as what he mentioned
Low 70s probably ok
Over 75

ah good to hear
heres an hour or so of runing borderlands 3 anyway for some sort of idea
3ijBl1W.png

Soldato
Actually I thought I had this sussed but not at all. Not sure how to check pump speed. It's been years since i was into modding PC's so bear with me!
is it a pwm pump?
or one with a speed dial on it?

3~30am so brain is bit slow
If you have it plugged into motherboard then it's going to be pwm
Either use bios or motherboard software to see the rpm for the header
You plugged it into
Can also alter rpm with those too
Not sure core temp is accurate with
A 3900x
Use hwinfo or ryzen master

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
what motherboard and case are you using? How do you have radiators and fans located and configured, in reference to position in case and push pull? To get the fan/pump speeds you will need to know which fan header you have each fan/pump connected to on motherboard and download HWinfo from https://www.hwinfo.com/download/. I have a very similar hardware to you so may be able to help each other out while I carry on testing to obtain optimal settings.

Associate
Mine can see 70 after a very long stress test session but during games, upper 50's.

My current setup is 1 360 and 1 280 rad but I have another 360 arriving tomorrow that I was planning of replacing the 280 with. I'd then mirror your setup.

Just on q, you have fully bleed the system?

Associate
Hi All,

I was talked out of using the 240mm all in one kit to cool a 2080ti and 3900x so went the complete opposite way and made a custom loop using:

2x EKWB LC Coolstream 360mm radiators
EKWB Velocity CPU heat exchanger
EKWB Classic GPU block and backplate
EKWB / Lian Li G1 Distribution plate

I've only had it installed around 2 hours and the GPU temps hit 55c max but the CPU temps are hitting the 70's. Am I doing something wrong? or is that 'normal'?

I don't think anything is wrong.

In case of 3900X, given that you can cool the chip with two of those 6C CCDs. SKUs with 8C CCDs (3700X, 3800X and 3950X) the best case is around 4.15GHz. The 3950X is expected to be thermally limited, as a whole. The biggest limit is the intensity (heat per area), secondly the voltage you can safely feed to the silicon. For example, the 9900K which has a reputation of being an inferno, has theoretical intensity of ~1.15W/mm² when operating at 5.0GHz (200W @ 174mm²). Meanwhile Matisse can easily reach intensity of > 1.5W/mm² (120W+ @ 74mm²).

Quote can be found in OP here.

I have R9 3900X (stock), RX Vega 64 (OC'd) on 2x360mm rad, this ZIP has ~24hrs stability testing for a profile does have Realbench/folding@home loading CPU/GPU examples in it.

Loop order: pump/res > GPU block > CPU block > top case rad > front case rad.

Loop makeup:

Bykski A-Ryzen-ThV2-X (TIM AS5)
EK FC-Radeon Vega (copper/plexi) (TIM TG Hydronaut)
EK XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM
EK ZMT 3/8" 5/8"
2x Magicool 360 G2 Slim
6x Arctic Cooling F12 PWM
Coolant is distilled water with ~20% mix of Mayhems XT1 clear concentrate

Associate
Have you got all the air out of your loop? That can make a difference. Take the lid of the res and rock your case.

Never had to do that on my loop TBH. The same loop has been in use since ~2017. Initially I had TR1950X & GTX 1080 plumbed to it, later RXV64, then changed to R9 3900X.

Internal image, all blocks bubble free, res, etc. No TIM spread issues, as contact areas had a spread of TIM by plastic card then block mounted.

Associate
Never had to do that on my loop TBH. The same loop has been in use since ~2017. Initially I had TR1950X & GTX 1080 plumbed to it, later RXV64, then changed to R9 3900X.

Internal image, all blocks bubble free, res, etc. No TIM spread issues, as contact areas had a spread of TIM by plastic card then block mounted.
I bet a little jiggle and you will hear air in your rads...

Soldato
The temps do sound a little high..

I have a 3900X / Titan Xp watercooled with
1 x Alphacool 280mm 30mm X-Flow Rad (4 x 140mm Corsair ML140 fans in push/pull)
1 x Alphacool 360mm 30mm Rad (3 x 140mm Corsair ML140 fans in push)
1 x EK 120ml Res / PWM D5 Combo
1 x EK Reference 1080ti Waterblock
1 x X470 Asus Strix Monoblock (CPU + VRM)
2 x Alphacool inline temperature sensors

I have a serial loop (i.e. Res->pump->TitanXp->CPU->280mm Rad->360Rad->Res)

I would say whilst gaming (Division 2)
CPU: 50-60
GPU: 45-55

Being able to see/control all fans/temps/pump etc is a real nicety, to do this (and for VFM reasons) I've got
- Corsair Commander Pro (with some splitters, this drives 8 x 140mm Fans (All ML140's) and the D5 Pump, with 4 temperature sensors (the inline water loop + case + ambient room)
- Aida64 + 7" IPS HDMI Secondary screen (using the 'remoteSensor' feature of AIDA)
bRCjnKH.jpg

Whilst many don't like Corsair, I've found the commander pro to be quite useful (I also have their HX1000i PSU and a lighting node pro for controlling the case RGB) it can control enough fans and even a D5 pump nicely, and settings profiles is a piece of cake, especially if you use the water temperature as the control input for the profiles. These work at the hardware level so once configured, you can exit their iCUE software, and as it's in hardware it works from boot!.
I generally have it silent enough (pump ~1500RPM, fans around 500RPM), whilst gaming these jump to 3500RPM/800-1000RPM which isn't too bad, audible but not annoying.

For setup/testing/stress testing, I have 'test' profiles that max out the pump and fans, this is useful for getting rid of air and helping whilst benchmarking.

Soldato
OP
The Pump is connected to the Water Pump outlet on the motherboard but although it's a PWM system I've only ever seen it at one speed (around 3000rpm). Fans are 5x 120mm (Lian Li x3 and NZXT x2). The reason there isn't 3 at the bottom is that you physically can't install a fan in the middle location without sacrificing the front USB sockets (the cable is a beast and obstructs the fan mounting area).

nnnlkyBh.jpg

Here's a wee video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsBjyoLoMl8

Soldato
Air pockets all over that loop, is it running in the photo?

Edit: derp, all explained in video.

Weird, maybe an airlock somewhere? There is some flow at least. How does the pump sound?

Back
Top Bottom