Google tracked a man's bike ride past a burgled home. This made him a suspect.

Soldato
There's more precedent for this sort of thing turning out well than badly.

Finger printing and DNA testing for example.

I'm sure the usual nuts will have talked about databases being held and our details being taken at birth.

Largely, the laws have kept up and allowed advances in technology to help the judicial system without becoming all Big Brother on us.
Indeed, at the end of the day, if you're not guilty then you have no valid reason not to cooperate with the police (who are there for the benefit of you and everyone else), the irrational idiots who waste time and cause trouble anyway because "but muh privacy" deserve whatever happens to them.

Caporegime
Pretty much sums it up.

It's like when people cry murder about their online activity being tracked by governments/ISPs/etc, when unless you're a criminal/terrorist/paedophile it's not an issue.
That's very, very naive.

Don't you remember not so long ago a couple lost their foster children because they voted UKIP?

Your data can and will be mis-used.

Man of Honour
Thank you.

Burglarised is not a word. It is a contraction of laziness and complication from across the Atlantic. Like using 'Americanised' when in fact the correct adjective is 'incorrect'.

I subscribe to another online Forum, where I innocently asked, “Why do we in U.K. say leftenant, while in U.S. they say lootenant, I said that I willingly accept leftenant, but did anyone know why there was a difference?”
I was inundated with posts urging me to eff off to America if I didn’t like leftenant.
All I’d asked was why there was a difference, not that I preferred one over the other.
Having said that, I prefer burgled over burglarised.

Soldato
Permabanned
Just came across this story (sure I've heard about it before) and it reminded me of your comment. It's a long article, but shocking and quite sad. Over 20 years this guy spent inside for a murder he didn't commit, and his dna wasnt even a match!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/u5IdEAokvl/idaho-falls-murder-of-angie-dodge

Could you imaging what it would be like for someone totally innocent but was framed and jailed for a long time. No doubt there’s been many more very scary to think that.

Caporegime
Astonishing, silly replies and no one cares about the deeply disturbing information of hyper state surveillance and tracking that can easily be abused and manipulated.

This is alarming but unsurprising turn of events.

Had Hitler has access to this technology his 'final solution' of prosecution of innocents and then death would have been horribly more efficient.

We need to make sure Hitler doesn't happen again, but every day it creeps closer, society forgets.
I was in another thread the other day on this topic
just how secure do you think peoples personal data is, there are sure companies out there collecting tons of data from different sources, collecting them all together and trying to combine everything right, then selling it on

you could probably go even further and use machine learning to track things you wouldn't think of that could identify an individual.

theres sure ways to track people through how their mouse movement is, typing habits etc and build a model for it that can identify different users.

your locations probably being tracked if you enable it by installing some app that logs what wifi networks you connect to and where they are, even if you never enable gps on your phone.

I wonder if self service tills harvest much information, most of them have a camera showing your face as you use it, which I guess is a feed the security guard can watch.

why don't they just map your face so they can track your spending habits even if you don't use a loyalty card.
oh wait, they probably already do.

Back
Top Bottom