3900x Temps High? 2x 360mm Radiators

Associate
It normally takes me a good two days to get all (if you can ever get every last bit) or air out of my loop. I find, run the pump at 100% for a morning. Turn off, plug the PSU adapter in, run the pump and tilt in any which way you can the case - bubbles soon come out. Repeat till no more.

Associate
The Pump is connected to the Water Pump outlet on the motherboard but although it's a PWM system I've only ever seen it at one speed (around 3000rpm).

On my ASUS Crosshair VII Hero Wifi, the UEFI by default will have AIO_PUMP/W_Pump header set to [Disabled] (it's shared control for both headers). So if I plugged my EK D5 pump's 4 pin fan connector cable into it will just stay at max RPM.

Soldato
Pump sounds normal to me, but that's not saying much! I've got the fill hole out and giving a good tilt / shake and I'm getting a few bubbles out. Will keep trying ...

There should be no air and all tubes completely 'full' of fluid..

I can't see how that Distro block is designed, looking in the Installation guide:
Gicl6U6.png
It suggests (in either config) you have to use one of each GPU ports (you've got nothing on the GPU outlet), and judging by how you almost have static fluid in the bottom radiator (or a huge airlock), I'd just double check things to ensure you don't have a dead headed space.

TO get as much air out, I normally put a fitting and tube on the fill port temporarily and have this coming out above the case so I can tilt it at 45 degrees in any angle and don't have to worry about getting fluid leaking out the fill port!

Regarding using the Water Pump or AIO header for the pump that should be fine, in my ASUS Bios if I disable teh AIO header it just maxes it out and sets the pump at maximum.. But as I said earlier, the Corsair Commander Pro or Aquaero products are a good shout for keeping more control/tabs on things.

Soldato
I've just been running CPU-Z's stress test and CoreTemp reports temps of 86c. Seems very toasty to me. Is that what you'd expect?

Radiators are cool to the touch and when I cease 'testing' the CPU temperature returns to early 40's within 20 seconds.

If cpu temps drop into early 40s then I’d say that’s your water temp is a couple of degrees below that.

Set your pump speeds in bios to ramp up with cpu temp. Mine sit around 1000rmp when just browsing the internet and then steadily ramps up with cpu temp when gaming. When your cpu hits 55c have the pump at 100%

Associate
Looks to me like the CPU block has very restricted flow. In my experience, this block comes with the 115* bracket, so it is possible you did something wrong when you fitted the AM4 bracket.

Soldato
OP
Looks to me like the CPU block has very restricted flow. In my experience, this block comes with the 115* bracket, so it is possible you did something wrong when you fitted the AM4 bracket.

Could you expand on that a bit? I've managed to get nearly all the air bubbles out of the system but temps remain the same (81c CPU under stress test in CPU-Z). I rotated the CPU block 90 degrees so the fittings lined up with the EK Distribution plate. There is a small metal object inside the waterblock and the block came with a spare (different one?). What do you mean by the 115* bracket?

Here's a pic of the current setup (I re-did the GPU to CPU line and also installed the 3rd fan under the bottom rad.

IDzSqnFh.jpg

Associate
Could you expand on that a bit? I've managed to get nearly all the air bubbles out of the system but temps remain the same (81c CPU under stress test in CPU-Z). I rotated the CPU block 90 degrees so the fittings lined up with the EK Distribution plate. There is a small metal object inside the waterblock and the block came with a spare (different one?). What do you mean by the 115* bracket?

Here's a pic of the current setup (I re-did the GPU to CPU line and also installed the 3rd fan under the bottom rad.
I was thinking about a different block that you have to switch out the bracket for Intel(LGA 1151, 1150 etc) with AMD's AM4. Nevermind.

It just looked to me like the water almost didn't move at all after the CPU block. Do you have a video of it the way it is now.

The tubing looks great, btw :)

Associate
I've managed to get nearly all the air bubbles out of the system but temps remain the same (81c CPU under stress test in CPU-Z).

Never ran CPU-Z stress mode before, here's a 3min run on my rig, stock 3900X with OC RAM, link. I open Ryzen Master at 2mins, so not correct averages, etc.

There is a small metal object inside the waterblock and the block came with a spare (different one?).

That's a jet plate. It's there to direct water to centre of fin area, create flow from there.

Soldato
Can we have another video
With it running now you altered things
And no pwm doesn't run full speed
All the time the idea is things
Speed up/slow down depending on
Temperature
And there's very little gained from say
2000rpm on the pump to 3000rpm
And nice to see/hear a fellow scot:)
Even if you are east coast lol

Soldato
OP
Regarding the flow, it's a funny one, because the return from Radiator 2 does not enter the reservoir at the top, but feeds into the bottom of the reservoir. Consequently, it's impossible to see any real 'flow'. I guess I could plumb in some sort of flow meter, but as it stands a video will show nothing (the fluid looks static but is clearly moving or I'd have a big problem).

Maybe I'm overthinking it and 81c in CPU-Z stress test is about right for an overclocked 3900x @ 4.1ghz.

Never ran CPU-Z stress mode before, here's a 3min run on my rig, stock 3900X with OC RAM, link. I open Ryzen Master at 2mins, so not correct averages, etc.

What is your cooling setup, pump speed and fan curves etc?

What does your CPU idle at?

Associate
Regarding the flow, it's a funny one, because the return from Radiator 2 does not enter the reservoir at the top, but feeds into the bottom of the reservoir. Consequently, it's impossible to see any real 'flow'. I guess I could plumb in some sort of flow meter, but as it stands a video will show nothing (the fluid looks static but is clearly moving or I'd have a big problem).

Maybe I'm overthinking it and 81c in CPU-Z stress test is about right for an overclocked 3900x @ 4.1ghz.

Mine at stock was averaging ~4.1GHz for that load.

What is your cooling setup, pump speed and fan curves etc?

See this post.

My fans/water pump have profiles based on water temperature, I have temperature probes in loop. Rad fans I use 4 in 1 cables, so they gain PWM from mobo header for profile and are powered by molex.

Chassis Fan 1 Q-Fan Control [PWM Mode]
Chassis Fan 1 Q-Fan Source [WATER_IN]
Chassis Fan 1 Smoothing Up/Down Time [0 sec]
Chassis Fan 1 Speed Low Limit [200 RPM]
Chassis Fan 1 Profile [Manual]
Chassis Fan 1 Upper Temperature [42]
Chassis Fan 1 Max. Duty Cycle (%) [100]
Chassis Fan 1 Middle Temperature [32]
Chassis Fan 1 Middle. Duty Cycle (%) [55]
Chassis Fan 1 Lower Temperature [22]
Chassis Fan 1 Min. Duty Cycle (%) [30]

Chassis Fan 3 Q-Fan Control [PWM Mode]
Chassis Fan 3 Q-Fan Source [WATER_IN]
Chassis Fan 3 Smoothing Up/Down Time [0 sec]
Chassis Fan 3 Speed Low Limit [200 RPM]
Chassis Fan 3 Profile [Manual]
Chassis Fan 3 Upper Temperature [42]
Chassis Fan 3 Max. Duty Cycle (%) [100]
Chassis Fan 3 Middle Temperature [32]
Chassis Fan 3 Middle. Duty Cycle (%) [55]
Chassis Fan 3 Lower Temperature [22]
Chassis Fan 3 Min. Duty Cycle (%) [30]

HAMP Fan Q-Fan Control [PWM Mode]
HAMP Fan Q-Fan Source [WATER_IN]
HAMP Fan Smoothing Up/Down Time [0 sec]
HAMP Fan Speed Low Limit [200 RPM]
HAMP Fan Profile [Manual]
HAMP Fan Upper Temperature [45]
HAMP Fan Max. Duty Cycle (%) [60]
HAMP Fan Middle Temperature [35]
HAMP Fan Middle. Duty Cycle (%) [50]
HAMP Fan Lower Temperature [22]
HAMP Fan Min. Duty Cycle (%) [40]

What does your CPU idle at?

See this screenie.

*** edit ***

CPU-Z Stress test ~40m run screenie.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I fixed it!

Same test now 20c lower temp (60 - 61c) with fans nearly silent! Finally!

The problem was the orientation of the waterblock in relation to the blade. When i rotated it and screwed the base plate back on I did so at a 90 degree angle, so the flow through the block must have been severely impeded. I drained the loop and removed the block. Cleaned up and comparted to pics I could find in the manual and hey presto. Happy with that.

Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciated.

Y8ZuBych.jpg

Soldato
I fixed it!

The problem was the orientation of the waterblock in relation to the blade. When i rotated it and screwed the base plate back on I did so at a 90 degree angle, so the flow through the block must have been severely impeded. I drained the loop and removed the block. Cleaned up and comparted to pics I could find in the manual and hey presto. Happy with that.

Y8ZuBych.jpg
Ah you had the jet plate the wrong way around

Associate
I fixed it!

Y8ZuBych.jpg

Nice to read you've solved issue :) . Yes, the jet plate opening needs to be perpendicular to fins on block. Then all the fins are getting water movement from centre to outer edges.

Back
Top Bottom