Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Maybe the bacteria in the filter got wiped out. Did you put anything anti-bacterial in the water or clean the filter with it?

The only thing I've changed is my RO supplier, I don't have my own unit.
RO water comes up at 2ppm, but 0 ammonia.

I tested the water test on monday before I did a water change. I thought the ammonia test came back as 0, but maybe I was wrong. So i'm not sure if the problem was there before or after the water change.

Caporegime
Want to try real.co2 in my aquarium so I was thinking of trying to DIY approach with citric acid, other than the bottle tops, pressure guage, needle valve and diffuser is there anything else i would need?

Soldato
Unfortunately I've had to give up on the tank

I wanted to upgrade my tank and switch to marine, but I'm not so sure anymore, confidence has taken 1 hell of a knock.

Shame you had to give up, I liked your tank.

One thing to note with marine is there's a lot more to go wrong, and honestly a small marine tank (under 120l) is so difficult to remain stable, I really wouldn't switch unless you're willing to go 200l or more. And an RO unit and auto top up is an absolute must.

Soldato
Want to try real.co2 in my aquarium so I was thinking of trying to DIY approach with citric acid, other than the bottle tops, pressure guage, needle valve and diffuser is there anything else i would need?

By the time you have bought all that you might as well go all in. it’s about £150 plus gas for a full setup.

You could try one of these kits: https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/aquario-neo-co2-50-3358-p.asp

That said, I have mentioned it a few times in this thread, you’ll get limited benefit from CO2 if you are still using the lights which came with an aquarium kit. You also need to make sure you are dosing enough fertiliser, which normally means dosing more than the bottle says.

I would avoid those DIY kits though, they have their own risks depending on which method you use and they don’t tend to put out consistent CO2. The latter can lead to algae.

Soldato
I use the diy setup of bicarb/citric acid and it works fine, add a timer solenoid to it for the control at night/day also if you can. It does make a difference to plants i find

Soldato
Shame you had to give up, I liked your tank.

One thing to note with marine is there's a lot more to go wrong, and honestly a small marine tank (under 120l) is so difficult to remain stable, I really wouldn't switch unless you're willing to go 200l or more. And an RO unit and auto top up is an absolute must.

Thanks, I used to have a 400l reef tank, but that was over 15 years ago.
Was hoping to you use this tank to get back into the hobby before upgrading.

I've been looking at the Aquaone Reefsys 180l or the 255l.

But this tank wipeout has put that on hold, I just want to find out why it all went so wrong.
Does anyone know a prefessional water testing company in the UK? I want to test this RO water I bought to see if it has anything nasty in it.

Soldato
Go for 255l, will give you more options fish wise. And no one ever says I wish I went smaller.

I recently got back into it after a 4 year break. Still had a lot of the original equipment, but ended up buying everything again. This hobby moves forward fast. After 15 years out, you have the wavemakers and leds to geek over.

Maybe get an icp test done?

Soldato
Ordered myself an ATI ICP test kit. Since they're meant to test RO was well.

No answers soon, but hopefully they'll find something wrong with the RO water I bought.

Soldato
Well i failed today.

Done a w/c and went to wipe inside skimmer
Body with tissue (as usual) but i dropped the ***** tissue and the skimmer ate it :(

M4R3q59.jpg

know what ill be doing the rest of the evening, stripped it down and its soaking in citric acid for a couple hours.

yL0phPG.jpg

Soldato
Swapped to a D-D titanium heater. The Allpondsolutions glass one I was using just couldn't hold 25c if the room was under 20c, even though it was about 100w more than the tank should need :/

Back
Top Bottom