travel insurance - should i bother?

Associate
Hi all - going to santorini in greece in august for our honeymoon, we hadn't booked cover (something we were going to do nearer the time) but obviously with concerns over Coronavirus its something we have been advised by a lot of people to get now.
Ive had a nosey around the web a bit and spoke to a few insurance providers and they have all advised me that in the event that the FCO issue a no travel warning to where you are staying (greece in my case) then it is up to the tour operator/travel agent (hays travel in my case) to provide a full refund for hotel and flights - does this sound about right?

Of course, ill probably still get cover as a just in case for sickness/hospital treatment etc, but with regards to coronavirus it doesn't seem like we would be covered anyway. Just thought I'd check here if anyone has been in my position or knows a bit of legal responsibility for travel agents etc.

Soldato
You should book travel insurance when you book your holiday, there's literally no reason not to do it. By doing this, you cover yourself against anything that happens before you go away for no extra cost.

You can get an annual policy for £20, it's madness that people travel without insurance when it's so cheap.

This doesn't help you now, but worthwhile for people to read.

Associate
OP
You should book travel insurance when you book your holiday, there's literally no reason not to do it. By doing this, you cover yourself against anything that happens before you go away for no extra cost.

You can get an annual policy for £20, it's madness that people travel without insurance when it's so cheap.

This doesn't help you now, but worthwhile for people to read.
i can still get cover for £23 for the trip, or 60 for a year. but we dont plan on any further trips in the next 12 months so I'll just go for the year.

You fail to realise it isn't that cheap if you have pre-existing conditions, however thankfully is still a reasonable price. Ill still be buying it. Ive just checked the policy wording and you aren't covered if the FCO advise against travel, but im unsure if they will pay out if when you buy it there is no restriction but it later goes to a no travel zone.

Back
Top Bottom