BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Can you get a mechanically sound E46 for under £3-4k, 2004+, under 80/100k miles? Not too fussy regarding particular trims/looks. My gf really wants one; she used to have and love an E39, but has been driving an inherited 1995 Punto for a couple of years so even an E46 will be an upgrade.

Soldato
Who wants a laugh?

I took my X5 into Sytner Sunningdale 3 weeks ago for a brake fluid service and also because I'd reported a knocking noise coming from the front offside. 3 weeks later and every single component of the front suspension changed as well as the steering rack and it turns out the noise was coming from a loose brake pad. The components excluding labour were in excess of £3000. Since collecting it there is a horrible springy metallic metal on metal noise coming from the front so it's going back.
To be fair to the service team they have been very communicative!

:rolleyes:

I don't get this - sometimes BMW are a pain in the arse to get something simple like a dodgy sensor, and they insist on you bringing it back 37 times as they try everything else in the world seemingly avoiding having to fit a £50 sensor, which is clearly going to be the cause of the issue, just in case the warranty company don't pay them. Then sometimes they splurge £3000 trying to fix a simple knock which turns out to be a brake pad.

Soldato
:rolleyes:

I don't get this - sometimes BMW are a pain in the arse to get something simple like a dodgy sensor, and they insist on you bringing it back 37 times as they try everything else in the world seemingly avoiding having to fit a £50 sensor, which is clearly going to be the cause of the issue, just in case the warranty company don't pay them. Then sometimes they splurge £3000 trying to fix a simple knock which turns out to be a brake pad.

Our X4 had a rattle in the dash that it went in for. 3 days later they asked me to come in to demonstrate, which I did by driving out of the dealership, onto the estate and back again which took all of 5mins. :rolleyes: They did fix it tbf, but how hard is it to take it for a spin??

Caporegime
Our X4 had a rattle in the dash that it went in for. 3 days later they asked me to come in to demonstrate, which I did by driving out of the dealership, onto the estate and back again which took all of 5mins. :rolleyes: They did fix it tbf, but how hard is it to take it for a spin??

I can top that. My 6 series with a high pitched hum. They couldn't find it in 3 visits. Why? The guy they kept giving it to was deaf.

Soldato
Can you get a mechanically sound E46 for under £3-4k, 2004+, under 80/100k miles? Not too fussy regarding particular trims/looks. My gf really wants one; she used to have and love an E39, but has been driving an inherited 1995 Punto for a couple of years so even an E46 will be an upgrade.

They're not as good as the E39 as an overall package, and at this age I doubt spending £3-4k on one would be prove sensible, they'll be riddled with little issues that you'll be forever chasing to fix.

I'd go for an E90/E92 instead. Or take your chances on an E39 with a year's MoT for a fraction of the price.

If she must have an E46 just make sure it's the Sport trim with xenons at the very least, they should retain a fair bit of value. A 330Ci with a manual transmission would be the pick of the bunch.

I'd forget mileage with these cars, the engines are strong and have proven the test of time over and over again the world over. Go on condition and recent works completed, especially the cooling system.

If they're shod with Contis/Goodyear/Michelin's then that probably speaks volumes.

The Clubsports might be in budget and will possibly retain most of their value, but it all depends on your appetite for that spoiler. I daresay I like it, but I can see why some take issue with it.

Associate
Hey all, had my 335i M Sport Highline for nearly 3 years now. Love it. Its a late 09 model n54 with the DCT gearbox, and the much better CIC I drive. Running full bolt on mods, with a custom tune through MHD. 455bhp and 500lbs/ft. Love it to bits.

Bought it on 52k, its now on 69k. Never let me down. Still running original Index 6 injectors. Been tuned since October 17. N54 gets a bad rep for reliable but ive not found that. All ive had to change is plugs and coils, that's it. Does 1/4 mile in 12.0 at 118mph ;)

88325806_10157898384959178_3344665731189964800_o.jpg

88442113_10157898372834178_1327186671610888192_o.jpg

Lovely car, how much boost are you running on your custom tune for 455bhp. I am assuming 93 octane fuel, are you running methanol injection or any ethanol blends aswell? N54 are great engines when they run right, but they can be such a pain in the ass when they don't.

Associate
Lovely car, how much boost are you running on your custom tune for 455bhp. I am assuming 93 octane fuel, are you running methanol injection or any ethanol blends aswell? N54 are great engines when they run right, but they can be such a pain in the ass when they don't.

Hey, thank you!. Fuel is 99ron V power here in UK. Boost is 18psi tapered down to about 13. Dimitri from BQtuning in the states road tuned it for me, very happy, he's a good tuner especially if you have the DCT. No meth just standard 99 petrol. Yeah there are problems but mine has been fine. Think the later ones are better than the 06/07.

Soldato
Thats impressive, must be around 50% more power than stock. Sounds like you will be doing one hell of a reliability test for bmw. If the engines capable of it, why doesnt the M3/4 use the same engine, is it just due to the bad rep it has?

Caporegime
The M3 and M4 use evolution of the N52 which became N55 and finally the S55.

The older M of that era wanted the high revs of normally aspirated. Remember a S65 V8 will remap you 450hp too

Associate
Thats impressive, must be around 50% more power than stock. Sounds like you will be doing one hell of a reliability test for bmw. If the engines capable of it, why doesnt the M3/4 use the same engine, is it just due to the bad rep it has?

Yeah, stock is meant to be 300hp and 300 lbs/ft. There probably more of them tuned than standard now. Its a solid engine. Plenty of 600bhp+ ones in the states on big single turbos.

The M3 and M4 use evolution of the N52 which became N55 and finally the S55.

The older M of that era wanted the high revs of normally aspirated. Remember a S65 V8 will remap you 450hp too

The m3 also has 1 Litre more and 2 more cylinders, but yeah with a map and a decat they can hit 450hp. The m3 and m4 have never used the n55. They have been S55 only. The m2 first used the N55.

Soldato
Yeah, stock is meant to be 300hp and 300 lbs/ft. There probably more of them tuned than standard now. Its a solid engine. Plenty of 600bhp+ ones in the states on big single turbos.

The m3 also has 1 Litre more and 2 more cylinders, but yeah with a map and a decat they can hit 450hp. The m3 and m4 have never used the n55. They have been S55 only. The m2 first used the N55.
Sorry I meant the F series Ms. I don't think you can getuchore out of an e92 M3 due to it being NA. So easy to get more power from a turbo:p.

Soldato
Dropped a mini egg down the side of the seat of our G02 X4 and tried finding it after the journey. Couldn't find it anywhere but can hear it rolling around. I've noticed there is a hole with what looks like a braided cable coming up and out, and I fear it has rolled into this hole. Seems a really poor place to have a hole in the floor? No idea how I'm going to fish it out, or prevent it happening again..? Or if it's worth a complaint to the dealership?

Soldato
Dropped a mini egg down the side of the seat of our G02 X4 and tried finding it after the journey. Couldn't find it anywhere but can hear it rolling around. I've noticed there is a hole with what looks like a braided cable coming up and out, and I fear it has rolled into this hole. Seems a really poor place to have a hole in the floor? No idea how I'm going to fish it out, or prevent it happening again..? Or if it's worth a complaint to the dealership?
Are you actually being serious about a complaint to the dealership because you dropped a mini egg in your car and it got lost? Is this your first car?

Soldato

yeah totally worth a complaint *lol*

Soldato
Are you actually being serious about a complaint to the dealership because you dropped a mini egg in your car and it got lost? Is this your first car?

Does sound ridiculous, but it's literally a hole under the seat that small objects can easily fall into and rattle around. That's what the complaint is, it looks like there should be some sort of seal around it but it's just foam and carpet. :confused:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Does sound ridiculous, but it's literally a hole under the seat that small objects can easily fall into and rattle around. That's what the complaint is, it looks like there should be some sort of seal around it but it's just foam and carpet. :confused:
Complain about rattle.
Dealer replaces all of the car under warranty.
Drive around with brand new components.
Profit?????

Back
Top Bottom