New crysis game?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Moving some image quality settings behind a paywall won't make them pay more attention to PC hardware (so higher IQ), as it would be an extra barrier on top of the price of the hardware and the price of the game for the consumer. Ergo, even a smaller install base. But I could totally see some of the big boys out there selling some Vulkan/DX12, 4k textures, resolutions and RT "DLC". So don't give them ideas. :)

You need to have a gameplay build around that "next Crysis" concept, from AI, physics, graphics, animations, etc. Going that way you'll end up with a very different game compared to the consoles versions. Speaking of which, that 12tf of power would have been nice if they used that for 1080p@30fps games, but for 4k60fps and judging by how 2080ti (13.45tf) is handling things now...
I was not thinking about consoles. I was talking about a game like Crysis which was designed for the PC. I can't see how disabling two higher graphical options would be an issue. They managed it on Crysis. I am not asking for anything new here?

Soldato
I was not thinking about consoles. I was talking about a game like Crysis which was designed for the PC. I can't see how disabling two higher graphical options would be an issue. They managed it on Crysis. I am not asking for anything new here?

Well, it would need to be a PC exclusive title and also mainly a single player experience - in MP the graphics don't really matter as gamers would tune the settings for high visibility and frame rate.

Then you'd need a developer with talented people capable of delivering a "next gen" experience, with enough resources, time and the will to do so. Plus, of course, a kind of game that would benefit from the higher settings, or the, let's call it, "Crysis treatment". Can't say I know of such a game or such a studio. Or... maybe will be SQ42/SC, we'll see, but doubtful.

PS: Most importantly, no one wants his game to known as a poor performer, even though is worth it in terms of visual quality.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well, it would need to be a PC exclusive title and also mainly a single player experience - in MP the graphics don't really matter as gamers would tune the settings for high visibility and frame rate.

Then you'd need a developer with talented people capable of delivering a "next gen" experience, with enough resources, time and the will to do so. Plus, of course, a kind of game that would benefit from the higher settings, or the, let's call it, "Crysis treatment". Can't say I know of such a game or such a studio. Or... maybe will be SQ42/SC, we'll see, but doubtful.

PS: Most importantly, no one wants his game to known as a poor performer, even though is worth it in terms of visual quality.
Dude, you are overthinking. My post was not a business plan or something.

As I said AMD or Nvidia should sponsor such a game. As for which developers and platform, I thought it was clear based on what I said that it would be Crytek and PC like the original Crysis :)

Soldato
Dude, you are overthinking. My post was not a business plan or something.

As I said AMD or Nvidia should sponsor such a game. As for which developers and platform, I thought it was clear based on what I said that it would be Crytek and PC like the original Crysis :)

Those two already have their tools for the game developers and also dealings with them, but only that is obviously not enough. Why? Because they can't make better assets and for sure won't invest a lot of resources (if it's not needed), to heavily modify the engines so you can actually see meaningful improvements when going up in settings. nVIDIA doesn't really need the PR (they are doing what is required for RT and that's about it), while AMD doesn't have the money and manpower for that...

But, take it the other way, how many Crysis like games (even with less than stellar graphics), have come out since then?

Like it or hate it, only SQ42/SC may be the next Crysis, at least in terms if technical development.

Sadly, the games only move as far and as fast as consoles move from generation to generation.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Those two already have their tools for the game developers and also dealings with them, but only that is obviously not enough. Why? Because they can't make better assets and for sure won't invest a lot of resources (if it's not needed), to heavily modify the engines so you can actually see meaningful improvements when going up in settings. nVIDIA doesn't really need the PR (they are doing what is required for RT and that's about it), while AMD doesn't have the money and manpower for that...

But, take it the other way, how many Crysis like games (even with less than stellar graphics), have come out since then?

Like it or hate it, only SQ42/SC may be the next Crysis, at least in terms if technical development.

Sadly, the games only move as far and as fast as consoles move from generation to generation.
Do you work in the industry by any chance? You took my what if scenario and went deep into why it would not happen :p

Soldato
Do you work in the industry by any chance? You took my what if scenario and went deep into why it would not happen :p

No, but is only logical. If it would have been easy, then already we would have had a lot of games with major differences compared to their consoles versions and while some do offer high resolution textures, other improvements are not that significant as it would need to be for it/them to be a next Crysis. Just dialing settings to 11 won't help, it will mean just over use of some setting that kills performance without giving much back - like tessellation in general (Crysis 2), overuse of AA and tessellation in Hairworks (TW3) and so on. Even "simple" stuff like a low lvl api (DX12 and Vulkan), which would enable a lot of lower specs PC to potentially get better performance, is ignored or implemented badly. Should I even mention the sound and how much is ignored?!

Think of all the presentation of new games at events such as E3 and the downgrade that follows. All of them should run ok(ish) on higher end PCs. Why not release it like that if it would be easy to have all the assets, all the game at such high level of quality. :) Sure, Microsoft and Sony would not be happy to have their toys in a bad light, but for sure that can't be the case with every game that went through this - cough The Witcher 3 cough

Latest game on Cry Engine that I've played, Kingdom Come Deliverance, they say that Ultra settings are for "next generation of hardware", but in all honesty, there isn't much difference between medium and ultra even while standing still and actively looking for it, while during gameplay, that kinda goes away... anyway. The difference in performance however, between ultra shaders and shadows vs. medium is quite significant - btw, they've also downgraded the global illumination from the Alpha/Beta.
What Ultra should have been is at least the level of global illumination from the prelaunch version, better physics (cut down trees, tall grass that moves real time with the wind and whatever passes through it - similar to Crysis 3, but there the grass was moving at a lower fps), proper volumetric clouds, fog (both to be affected by wind), buildings that could be destroyed or catch fire, etc. None of that happened. Just that performance went down while not gaining much in return. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No, but is only logical. If it would have been easy, then already we would have had a lot of games with major differences compared to their consoles versions and while some do offer high resolution textures, other improvements are not that significant as it would need to be for it/them to be a next Crysis. Just dialing settings to 11 won't help, it will mean just over use of some setting that kills performance without giving much back - like tessellation in general (Crysis 2), overuse of AA and tessellation in Hairworks (TW3) and so on. Even "simple" stuff like a low lvl api (DX12 and Vulkan), which would enable a lot of lower specs PC to potentially get better performance, is ignored or implemented badly. Should I even mention the sound and how much is ignored?!

Think of all the presentation of new games at events such as E3 and the downgrade that follows. All of them should run ok(ish) on higher end PCs. Why not release it like that if it would be easy to have all the assets, all the game at such high level of quality. :) Sure, Microsoft and Sony would not be happy to have their toys in a bad light, but for sure that can't be the case with every game that went through this - cough The Witcher 3 cough

Latest game on Cry Engine that I've played, Kingdom Come Deliverance, they say that Ultra settings are for "next generation of hardware", but in all honesty, there isn't much difference between medium and ultra even while standing still and actively looking for it, while during gameplay, that kinda goes away... anyway. The difference in performance however, between ultra shaders and shadows vs. medium is quite significant - btw, they've also downgraded the global illumination from the Alpha/Beta.
What Ultra should have been is at least the level of global illumination from the prelaunch version, better physics (cut down trees, tall grass that moves real time with the wind and whatever passes through it - similar to Crysis 3, but there the grass was moving at a lower fps), proper volumetric clouds, fog (both to be affected by wind), buildings that could be destroyed or catch fire, etc. None of that happened. Just that performance went down while not gaining much in return. :)
But again you are missing the point. I never said it would be easy. All I said is I would like to see a new Crysis game (like the original). Something that would take graphics to the next level like the original did. The idea to lock the higher settings was only mentioned to stop noobs who do not understand things and would cry all over the web. You keep mentioning consoles for some reason however :p

Soldato
No, but is only logical. If it would have been easy, then already we would have had a lot of games with major differences compared to their consoles .
I dunno .... I can see slight differences ;) (yes i am joking....) - for reference that is the computer (speccy) vs megadrive version)
OutRun.png

20130517-210346.jpg

Soldato
But again you are missing the point. I never said it would be easy. All I said is I would like to see a new Crysis game (like the original). Something that would take graphics to the next level like the original did. The idea to lock the higher settings was only mentioned to stop noobs who do not understand things and would cry all over the web. You keep mentioning consoles for some reason however :p

I know, but everything is just business. There's no point to waste resources by locking stuff away unless you do that for money - DLC style. Imagine RT being locked away in Metro or Control for an extra 5-10 pounds or to be conditioned to finish the game once - meaning you can never truly enjoy that game as it was meant to be from the first run. Not all games are that good to be finished more than once (at times if that is once too many), and not all gamers have the will and time to go through it twice. :)

With that said, proper high res textures (Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was great!), some low level API, proper controls and display support (including Surround/Eyefinity), some peripherals (Track IR, joysticks/Hotas/Wheels), I think is the best we can hope. By the way, I keep mentioning the consoles because in general them are the ones setting the trend, pushing things forward. Except Star Citizen/SQ42, is there any other game that actually goes beyond what's normally the ... norm? :) ArmA 3 is broken after all these years and it looks like Bohemia won't bother to fix their engine.

So yeah, I'm afraid is all wishful thinking! But I do like to dream myself! :p

PS: Back in the Crysis days AMD demoed this with the AI being accelerated on the GPU - https://youtu.be/FUtzOqgsLyE?t=408 . Sadly no one bother with it further and all we get are a few NPC here in there. We could simulated a small town on the cards these days... On card of graphics, one for the physics and one for AI. Multi GPU, but with a different approach. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I know, but everything is just business. There's no point to waste resources by locking stuff away unless you do that for money - DLC style. Imagine RT being locked away in Metro or Control for an extra 5-10 pounds or to be conditioned to finish the game once - meaning you can never truly enjoy that game as it was meant to be from the first run. Not all games are that good to be finished more than once (at times if that is once too many), and not all gamers have the will and time to go through it twice. :)

With that said, proper high res textures (Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was great!), some low level API, proper controls and display support (including Surround/Eyefinity), some peripherals (Track IR, joysticks/Hotas/Wheels), I think is the best we can hope. By the way, I keep mentioning the consoles because in general them are the ones setting the trend, pushing things forward. Except Star Citizen/SQ42, is there any other game that actually goes beyond what's normally the ... norm? :) ArmA 3 is broken after all these years and it looks like Bohemia won't bother to fix their engine.

So yeah, I'm afraid is all wishful thinking! But I do like to dream myself! :p

PS: Back in the Crysis days AMD demoed this with the AI being accelerated on the GPU - https://youtu.be/FUtzOqgsLyE?t=408 . Sadly no one bother with it further and all we get are a few NPC here in there. We could simulated a small town on the cards these days... On card of graphics, one for the physics and one for AI. Multi GPU, but with a different approach. :)
Damned you Calin. Let a man dream! :p:D

You obviously make good points. By the way, I get the feeling the new consoles will be able to run SQ42. That game has taken so long to develop that by the time it is out it won’t be graphically that special. But I admit from the last time I remember looking they have developed some very nice tech :)

Caporegime
Damned you Calin. Let a man dream! :p:D

You obviously make good points. By the way, I get the feeling the new consoles will be able to run SQ42. That game has taken so long to develop that by the time it is out it won’t be graphically that special. But I admit from the last time I remember looking they have developed some very nice tech :)

Dunno like.... it looks pretty good graphically.

Best viewed in 4K.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Dunno like.... it looks pretty good graphically.

Best viewed in 4K.

It does and I bet you it will get ported to next gen consoles at some point. If it ever does get released that is :p

It just does not seem as ahead of its time like it used to when things were being shown all those years ago is what I am saying really. Back then it was said consoles could never run it, which was true at the time. But I bet the new consoles will be able to due to having an nvme drive, much better cpu and obviously a better gpu.

What I like about this game is it is designed for PC first. Wish more games did this and then got nerfed and ported to consoles.

Caporegime
It actually makes sense, next gen consoles could run it comfortably.
------------------------------

As for a New Crysis game.... Crytek are very much alive and kicking, they just released Hunt Showdown to console, their engine is getting major quarterly updates, currently on 5.6, i use it, its a good engine.... Road Map It's getting Hardware Ray Tracing in 5.7.

I don't know what they are currently working on but something is in the works and there have been subtle hints of a Crysis revive, don't count it out....

Soldato
OP
It actually makes sense, next gen consoles could run it comfortably.
------------------------------

As for a New Crysis game.... Crytek are very much alive and kicking, they just released Hunt Showdown to console, their engine is getting major quarterly updates, currently on 5.6, i use it, its a good engine.... Road Map It's getting Hardware Ray Tracing in 5.7.

I don't know what they are currently working on but something is in the works and there have been subtle hints of a Crysis revive, don't count it out....

I’d be happy with crysis 1 remake with the new engine would be really good .

Back
Top Bottom