what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Caporegime
I take them offshore in a back pack for using for gaming in my cabin at night or listening to music.
I'm just looking to protect them during transport to and from offshore with the thought of the baggage handlers throwing bags about in the back of helicopters.

I'd get a cheap set to take offshore with me like hyper x clouds in that case or if pure headphones needed something around £50.

I'm sure if you go on ebay though you will find cases but I'd again use the original box for your purpose.

Soldato
I'd get a cheap set to take offshore with me like hyper x clouds in that case or if pure headphones needed something around £50.

I'm sure if you go on ebay though you will find cases but I'd again use the original box for your purpose.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of taking a full box with me. I'm only allowed so much.
I did manage to get hold of a pair of SHP9500 for £35 and looking to start using them so will maybe just pick up a cheap harder case on the internet for a little protection.

Soldato
Not so much a new pair, more of a pair reborn.

One of the pads of my HiFiMan HE400i fell apart a few days ago and the other one followed when I inspected it. I looked at the cheapy (£16) replacement pads but they were all flat, not angled like the originals, so I was going to pull the trigger on a pair of Brainwavz angled pads but before I did I saw the Dekoni Sheepskin pads for the HiFiMan HE series, with the installation ring already fitted. So £55 later, though next day delivery was free, and they were on there way. I got them Saturday morning and after some head scratching, watching a video and then some pushing, prodding and twisting and my HE400i's were better than new.

I put them on, plugged them in and thought - ack, they sound weird. I had the same thought when I first listened to my HD650's, so I knew that brain burn in was a thing. As the minutes went by I just started grinning, I couldn't help it - they sounded insanely good, much better than they did originally. One area where the HE400i always came up short was in the lower bass, it rolled off a bit too soon, well not any more - these things now have a real grunt and slam low down. I was using them with a 6db bass boost using the JRiver parametric equalizer but now I'm running them with no EQ and they sound even better. £55 well spent :)

Soldato
I use a pair of JVC HARX700's with a Cambridge Audio DacMagic for music and gaming.

I was previously a bit of a headphone snob, but JVC completely won me over with their sound and price. I now have 3 pairs: small foldables for on the bus with my phone, a Bluetooth pair for my Firestick, and the HARX700's for music/gaming. They were all inexpensive and (to my ears) sound glorious.

The DacMagic has also been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Soldato
Just picked up a pair of Sony WH-1000XM2s due to no longer having a mobile with a 3.5mm jack. Really impressed so far, although with noise cancelling on they do lose a noticeable bit of top end detail and soundstage.

I'm not going to pretend they're in the same league as my IE 800s were, but they make a good account of themselves all the same and I've had a fair few pairs of decent wired cans that have sounded not so good as these.

I love the lack of cable to the extent that I might well just sell my Nighthawks, Black Cube clone and Mojo. I do have a spare Arcam DAC that's a bit too much of a basket case to sell on and a heavily modded valve headphone amp (needs new tubes), so could go back one day. I only use my cans for gaming, so my current setup is a bit wasted anyway.

Associate
Just bought some HyperX Orbit. Seems its basically an Audeze Mobius without Bluetooth. I'm usually an Open Backed headphone fan, but needs changed a little and wanted a multi purpose set for Gaming (on both consoles) and Music listening without loads of separate DAC/Amp/soundcard setups. Have to say these things sound incredible. Gaming and music superb (particularly in HiRes mode listening via Qobuz). Far exceeded my expectations (although I do have a humming mic issues on PS4 via USB). Waiting on a replacement mic from HyperX to see if that fixes it.

Associate
How do you find the virtual surround compared to the Creative Sound Blaster X7 or G6?

And is the humming issue on a 3.5mm lead into the controller?

Not had much time to compare the VSS yet - I have been tending to play PS4 games in stereo more via my G6 lately or using Atmos on Xbox. Will give them some more time later.

The humming is when connected via USB. Using the 3.5mm connection (standard cable or using my VModa BoomPro) to the controller I get no issues. Problem is audio is better via the USB connection (or at least volume levels are) so really want to use that option. Only way around it currently is Vmoda connected via PS4 controller and then USB to PS4.

Associate
Well today I would have owned DT1990 headphones - that's if the DPD delivery man actually knocked on the door or rang the doorbell. Instead I own a stealth-delivered card that says I'm Sorry We Missed You...

Soldato
I ordered a Sennheiser Game One headset after a bit of research. I was going to go down the route of 'proper' headphones and mod mic, which I expect would have got me better quality for the same price at maybe the extent of faffing with cables and fitting the mic.

I've been happy with my Sennheiser PC31 headset which got me through many hours of Battlefield 2.
If the Game One are similar to Sennheiser HD558 (apparently the use the same drivers) only with a mic attached i'll be happy for £126. A friend had some HD558 and they sounded great to me

I see a lot of people saying "2 channel headphone are rubbish for gaming, you need 7.1" Then I check some 7.1 headphones and it is software emulated 7.1 via USB to motherboard soundcard.
That to me will probably sounds spuds in comparison to 3.5mm > 6.35mm into a soundcard that cost £200 (Xonar Essense ST) This can do Dolby headphone and 7.1 virtual speaker along with gain settings for up to 600 ohms headphones. I have tried USB headphones and they all sounded dire in comparison to using the soundcard.

Not any of the big review sites for headphone even mention audio source, which I thought it a primary thing for achieving high quality audio. Not much point getting £1000 headphones or speakers then connecting them to onboard sound / cheapo DAC / cheap amplifier and playing a 128kbps audio track!

Soldato
So I went a bit mental in the past couple of days - bought the following:

Audeze LCD-2 Classic headphones
SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888 AMP
Topping D50s DAC

Really looking forward to it all arriving now!

Soldato
^^^ Nice, I love mine, between the DT1990 and HE400i my HD650's get zero use anymore

I've put Dekoni sheepskins on my HiFiMan HE400i and the difference in tuning is greatly to my liking - the sub-bass has really got a big boost which remains fast and not boomy while the rest of the FR is still pretty neutral

Soldato
They look brilliant. I was seriously tempted by the DT1990.

I have the AE-5 right now but found myself using my FiiO BTR5 mobile amp & dac wired instead as that sounded much better so knew I had to buy a replacement for that too.

Last edited:
Associate
I have very nice pair of Fidelio X2 woox version, is there anything worth upgrading to for gaming?

my setup D2X > O2 Amp >

Thanks

*Edit*

Just purchased a pair of K702's. hope I can drive them.. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Just purchased a pair of K702's. hope I can drive them.. :p
Would you be using these for gaming, music or both?
I have some Sennheiser games one and was thinking about the 702s and a Modmic.
How will you be driving them?

I’ve got a Xonar Essence ST, the chipset info for headphone says...

“High Fidelity Headphone Amplifier:
Texas Instruments 6120A2*1 (120dB SNR, 100dB THD+N @ Vcc±12V, RL=600Ω, f=1kHz)”

It has normal, high and extra high gain options when headphones are connected. I’ll check what the + db for each says in a bit.
Wouldn’t high / extra high gain produce lower audio quality which sort of negates buying high quality heaphones that are harder to drive (unless you spend maybe £500+ on a headphone amp too)

Associate
Would you be using these for gaming, music or both?
I have some Sennheiser games one and was thinking about the 702s and a Modmic.
How will you be driving them?

I’ve got a Xonar Essence ST, the chipset info for headphone says...

“High Fidelity Headphone Amplifier:
Texas Instruments 6120A2*1 (120dB SNR, 100dB THD+N @ Vcc±12V, RL=600Ω, f=1kHz)”

It has normal, high and extra high gain options when headphones are connected. I’ll check what the + db for each says in a bit.
Wouldn’t high / extra high gain produce lower audio quality which sort of negates buying high quality heaphones that are harder to drive (unless you spend maybe £500+ on a headphone amp too)

I have a Xonar D2X and an O2 Amp, I am hoping they will suffice.

I've got the K702 with an adapter and boompro mic. They are really good for gaming

I have a VModa Boom mic nots sure how they will work with my K702.

Excited for the arrival of these, they're half the price of what they used to be.

Back
Top Bottom