Getting plans of house

dal

dal

Associate
Hi, how could I get plans for my house, when I say plans what I really want is a layout of underground drainage / power cabcles, as I'm building a patio and it would be handy to know where there are any existing drains/ power cables before I start digging + I need to tap into some existing drain.

Cheers

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You'll need to go through the 3" of paperwork which you will have accumulated when you bought it. You might get lucky, my house has some very old hand drawn plans in the file, but things have changed a lot since they were drawn so they are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Public records for this information do not exist for private property.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Had a look at the paperwork i got with the house all it shows its the house boundaries, I'm sure there was was a piece of paperwork which showed a sewer main which was further down the garden but I can't find that now so I guess I will just have to to dig around carefully and see what i find.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Contact your water supplier regarding main sewer lines. They dont hold information regarding private ones, but Thames Water were able to provide me with main sewer details in the past, as obviously they maintain those :)

Soldato
Unlikely to be anything for pipes/cables for individual properties anywhere.

When I got my water meter installed the contractor came out and scanned around for pipes. I asked him to check the driveway and a couple of places I'm planning to do work in the garden for future reference

Associate
You need your utility search, if one was done. However, they're incredibly inaccurate so don't take them as gospel. The only thing I'd expect to possibly be under your patio/garden is drainage. However, you never know what people do and the search would not show peoples dodgy cables to the end of the garden, or similar.

A CAT scanner is what you really need for cables...https://www.allpipe.co.uk/catscan-s...MIu93dhKWO6AIVBcreCh0VSgoxEAQYASABEgIBZPD_BwE

No manholes?

Soldato
Unless you live on a new build estate then you'd be better doing some investigation work yourself...
It's not uncommon that services drawings will be entirely different to what is in the ground!

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Found and opened up a man hole cover, I've got a fair idea where the sewage pipes are running and they are about a meter below ground level so don't think they will get in my way.
There is also a couple of drains that are for rain water and not part of the sewage system. Is it possible to tell if they connect to a soakaway or a proper drainage system without digging the whole place up.

Associate
Most houses have the water mains coming around the back of the house, coming in at foundation level and up through the floor under the kitchen sink.

I wouldn't rely on any plan for locations of sewers and rain water drains, they're really only a rough guide and not usually acurate.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Found the water search for my house it shows that the surface water does drain into a sewer so with that in mind ill connect to the sewer also with the drain im installing. Ill just have to stuff around a bit to find them.

Back
Top Bottom