old laptop help

Associate
I have an old laptop and I have not used in years and wanted to see if I can put it to some use, specs compaq presario v5000 , Windows xp sp 2 home edition ,AMD Turion 64 mobile , 1.58ghz , 896 ram ,

My problem is when I connect to the internet in wire or wireless internet explorer shows " page cant be displayed " but when I type www.google .com in the address bar google comes up "
now I can search things like if I want to know the date or time as example it shows it but when I click to open a site it shows page cant display , funny enough bing search works www.msn.com worked ,

I know the laptop is old with low ram I have restored windows xp to factory and it still wont work , I cant update windows XP as it is not supported so i was wondering if anyone can help to get this laptop online even if it runs slow.

Man of Honour
The simple answer is, absolutely do not under any circumstances run XP. It is horribly insecure now, it has been unsupported for so long that it is a very bad idea to use it.

As for your specific issue, I'm going to guess it's either DNS related (set your DNS server address to be 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) or a browser version that is simply way too old to be happy with many of today's websites.

Associate
OP
The simple answer is, absolutely do not under any circumstances run XP. It is horribly insecure now, it has been unsupported for so long that it is a very bad idea to use it.

As for your specific issue, I'm going to guess it's either DNS related (set your DNS server address to be 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) or a browser version that is simply way too old to be happy with many of today's websites.
Would you advise me to update to windows 10? My worry is will everything work on the laptop will win 10 support everything on my laptop, I can upgrade the ram to 2gb max

I would not update to Windows 10 if I were you, that laptop would become so slow it would be unusable.

Essentially XP is pretty useless these days unless you just want to use it for retro gaming for example.

Back
Top Bottom