• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Oldest graphic card still be used for gaming?

Associate
OK, what are the oldest cards people are still using for gaming?

I have my gtx 1060 6gb oc, so not very old....

It'd be interesting to see what people are still using and say for medium gaming where games like Total Warhammer 2 is played, so not too intensive.

Associate
I've got a GTX 1060 in my laptop, paired with an i7 8750H. If I turn the graphics down to High with a splash of medium it runs totally fine. I am sure if I connected it to my 1440P G Sync monitor it would melt though!! :D

Soldato
Remove the bells and whistles which only add the last layer of polish to graphics, run at 1080p, and just about any decent card from the last decade will probably do the job.

I do all my gaming these days on a laptop with a weedy 960M chipset. It's absolutely fine for most things I've run recently... Metal Gear Solid V, Destiny 2, Doom 2016, Far Cry 5, and so on.

I paid £400 for a vanilla 1070 for my desktop during peak bitcoin fever. I think it's had about ten hours' use, just for VR. Worst upgrade ever. No, actually that would be the DDR2 RAM fever I got back in the Athlon days, when reading here managed to persuade me I was missing out on some miraculous overclocking sweet spot.

I wasn't. :)

I do fantasise about a huge, widescreen monitor and a bank of the latest cards to power it, but I don't do sim racing any more and rarely fire up a flight sim, so I don't run anything which would make the most of it even if I had the disposable cash. Which I definitely don't these days.

Soldato
I'm still running my ATi 5870 1GB which is able to cope reasonably well for what I use it for at 1080p

I briefly had an RX 480 8GB but couldn't justify it at the time so got rid.

I'm going to go for one of the new AMD offerings at some point when I have the disposable income, when that'll be is anyone's guess.

Caporegime
The one in my sig, a 980Ti, so not that lowly in terms of performance. However, I do quite a bit of recording so performance is king, thus often I'll lower some demanding settings so that the gameplay is smoother and responsive. I'm quite confident that the previous card I used, a 7970, would suffice for a majority of the games I run/record. That was a fantastic card - as is the current one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was still using my r9 290 up until a few weeks ago, I would have kept it longer as it ran all my games I play smoothly, but it was getting hot for some reason and I couldn't solve the problem.

Associate
My old 390X still powered through modern games pretty reasonably for an old card. Don't have to play everything on High / Ultra to have a great experience.

Back
Top Bottom