TV repair?

Soldato
Our venerable old Panasonic Plasma TV (TX-P42G10B) has just started with a noisy fan when I turned it on this evening.

It's only a low noise, but is going to be annoying.

Repairable do you think? Or time for a replacement? Funny, when I was a kid, the TV repairman seemed to be at our house every other week - but you don't really hear of them even existing these days.

Can't pretend I haven't been tempted by a 4k TV anyway in recent months. But to get one that's genuinely good seems to mean OLED, which seems to mean astonishing cost.

Soldato
OP
I've tried switching it off and giving the fans a baslt of air in a can. Threw out a decent amount of crud, but hasn't stopped the noise.

Good thought though, thanks. :)

Soldato
OP
I was about to ask for recommendations, you've beaten me to the punch. :D

That said, not sure I want to increase size by quite so much. I was thinking 55 inch probably. I will have a sneaky look at that recommendation though. Rude not to.

Soldato
I was about to ask for recommendations, you've beaten me to the punch. :D

That said, not sure I want to increase size by quite so much. I was thinking 55 inch probably. I will have a sneaky look at that recommendation though. Rude not to.

Never regret getting a bigger TV like the 65", getting a smaller one may lead to "wish I got that 65"" regret!

Soldato
OP
That is a very good question. I suspect going far past £1000 will start giving me palpitations and stern looks from the missus.

I'm looking at the LG 55C9 price and thinking I might just be able to swing that if I can get a good deal on it somewhere.

Soldato
I upgraded from pioneer Kuro plasma 50" to LG c9 and definitely worth it, brighter image more contrast, and that's with add too.

Went with 65".

Also don't forget borders watching 2:35 movie has big borders, about 6" lost in total height

Soldato
B9 is slightly cheaper, not quite as good but both should beat out your plasma easily, and if you treat the OLED like the plasma you shouldn't have issues with screen burn or similar.

I have the 65E9 which is from a few years ago, still going strong, but the new ones can only have improved on it.

I would only buy new though, don't buy 2nd hand or ex-display. I would only buy from somewhere like RS, John Lewis (who will price match), or dare I say it, Currys. They come with 5 year warranties so you want a decent store to work with.

Soldato
That is a very good question. I suspect going far past £1000 will start giving me palpitations and stern looks from the missus.

I'm looking at the LG 55C9 price and thinking I might just be able to swing that if I can get a good deal on it somewhere.

C9 55" is £1199 at Costco, with a 5 year warranty. If you're a member of course. The 65" is £1799 there. So £100-200 cheaper than the likes of Currys.

I have been eyeing up a 65" one since they were released. However, the picture on my old and trusty Panasonic GT30 (50") is still perfect / impressive. So I figure the longer I wait, the better a set I will end up with, ha ha.

Soldato
C9 55" is £1199 at Costco, with a 5 year warranty. If you're a member of course. The 65" is £1799 there. So £100-200 cheaper than the likes of Currys.

I have been eyeing up a 65" one since they were released. However, the picture on my old and trusty Panasonic GT30 (50") is still perfect / impressive. So I figure the longer I wait, the better a set I will end up with, ha ha.

I went from a 50" pioneer plasma to 65" LG c9 oled. Size incread worth it I found 2:35 movies too small. Much higher contrast and light output than the pioneer, it reminds me of my LCD. Maybe Kuro has got dimmer over time.

Soldato
OP
Well I succumbed to all the advice, and just got back from Costco (which was like armageddon by the way!) with an LG 55C9.

Just watching Avengers Endgame (as it happened to be on Sky) and it looks incredible - and I haven't even done any set-up yet.

Confirmed though that the stand is too low profile to have the Sonos Playbar just sat in front of the TV - it covers the bottom inch of the screen!

On my last TV, I attached the playbar via mounts to the VESA fittings and had it above the screen. But in that fitting the TV frame itself took a little of the weight, and there's no way that's happening with this - it's only about 3mm deep.

So - anyone got recommendations for a table top TV stand which will carry the TV with a Playbar slung beneath it?

I'm thinking something like this:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produ...&pf_rd_p=f20e70b1-67f9-48d1-8c78-ba616030b420

I already have arms to attach the bar itself to the mount.

Soldato
Well I succumbed to all the advice, and just got back from Costco (which was like armageddon by the way!) with an LG 55C9.

Just watching Avengers Endgame (as it happened to be on Sky) and it looks incredible - and I haven't even done any set-up yet.

Confirmed though that the stand is too low profile to have the Sonos Playbar just sat in front of the TV - it covers the bottom inch of the screen!

On my last TV, I attached the playbar via mounts to the VESA fittings and had it above the screen. But in that fitting the TV frame itself took a little of the weight, and there's no way that's happening with this - it's only about 3mm deep.

So - anyone got recommendations for a table top TV stand which will carry the TV with a Playbar slung beneath it?

I'm thinking something like this:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produ...&pf_rd_p=f20e70b1-67f9-48d1-8c78-ba616030b420

Use these setting

Picture Mode setttigs
Standard & HD settings
Technicolour Expert (User)
Aspect Ratio settings- original
Energy Saving - off
AI picture off
OLED Light - 40
Contrast -57
Brightness - 50
Sharpness -12
Colour 55
Tint - 0
Expert Controls
Dynamic Contrast - off
Super resolution - off
Colour gamut - auto
Gamma - 2.2
Peak brightnes -low
Noise reduction - off
Mpeg noise reduction - off
Smooth graduation - off
Black level - low
Real Cinema - on
Motion Eye care -off
Trumotion off
Aspect ratio - Original
Just Scan - on
Colour Tempeture - Warm2
For HDR use similar settings however HDR requires certain other HDR specific settings, ie Dynamic Tone Mapping and others to be specific for this mode.
Don't use vivid. Use Technolour, ISF (dark/light) or cinema

Back
Top Bottom