*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
How do you mean "eat for an average of your activity"?

Or do you mean, work out and assume i'd burn 3000 calories per week and so add ~400 calories per day to balance it out?

I guess that makes sense, as if i do a ~3hr run, Garmin suggests i'll burn ~2000 calories and it can be hard eating them all in one day!

Somewhere in between - use something like this - https://www.jamessmithacademy.com/calculator/ to set your calories based on your average activity levels, don't eat back what you "burn" as it's highly inaccurate

Soldato
Cheers will take a look, think the reason i went for this tactic is that on a regular day i'm very inactive, probably averaging around 2500 steps and then running tops that up, which can be anywhere from 3-6 runs/week.

So i always classed myself as sedentary as a worst case with the topping up where needed, although recently i've been much more consistent with running so might just up what i have on a daily basis.

On the plus side i'm back to 98.5kg. The 1kg i'd put on must've just been timing. Have decided that a weekly weigh is probably a little too infrequent so aiming for 2-3 a week.

For those of you with smart scales. Can they differentiate between people? I know the Garmin ones can and it'd be great to have it integrated into my Garmin app, but i'd rather not pay £100. I work in KG and my wife works in stones/lbs and it's a pain having to press the button on the back to change every time

Soldato
OP
For those of you with smart scales. Can they differentiate between people?

My Withings can (mind you, I think they're expensive too) but I think you would still need to switch between units on the scale. Of course, in each persons app, I assume you can set it to show in whatever you want?

So i always classed myself as sedentary as a worst case with the topping up where needed, although recently i've been much more consistent with running so might just up what i have on a daily basis.

I'm considering moving more that way myself as my steps can vary greatly from day to day. A day off wouldn't be far from 500. A weekday at work is about 3-4,000 and a weekend at work would be around 8,000. If I go for sedentary than add in an hour walking per 2-3,000 steps, I think I would have a better idea of what I burn each day. Activities then automatically get synced from Strava. Not that I change much what I eat based on calories burnt, but I do a little bit these days.

Soldato
Ah, think i was hoping that the scale would have presets built in to know what units each person used. I don't mind getting the Garmin ones if it makes my life easier.

Although i'm doing it purely to be lazy and not have to manually enter it into MFP! There are some Eufy ones on Amazon for around £30, i'm just always weary of how well their app would integrate.

Don
Don't put too much weight into steps. If you can spare half an hour, it's better to go for a brisk walk for those 30 minutes and forget about the 10,000 steps thing.

A brisk walk will achieve around 3200 steps. It's very difficult to get to 10k steps unless you develop a routine where everything comes naturally anyway.

My best streak for consecutive 10k a day was 105 days, then I was ill. It's sometimes hard to pull off but it's definitely benefited me, if I was more strict with eating then I should be way better off.

Caporegime
There was a programme on BBC Two which showed the group of people that did 30 minutes brisk walk each day had better health markers than those who did 10,000 steps each day. That's what I meant. :)

Caporegime
Yeah, I was wondering how much you have to lose before you get loose skin. Maybe 10, 20kg isn't a problem. I'm just wondering what weight I need to get down to before my moobs disappear! :D

Back
Top Bottom