Is hdr10 worth it?

Caporegime
HDR10 on a non-OLED screen, I'm not too sure of.

Run of the mil HDR on a monitor is a joke. A pittance which looks rubbish and the SDR version is better and more accurate to what was meant to be represented. On edge-lit TVs, I also think its very redundant and prefer the SDR version most of the time.

High-end FALDs do HDR10 justice in bright scenes but I find they REALLY struggle in dark scenes to control the backlight to preserve deep blacks and bright specular highlight detail whilst not showing faults (banding, halo effect).

HDR10 on an OLED is worth it.

Reference:
CRG9 'HDR' monitor
Panasonic 902B FALD TV
LG OLED C9 TV

There are a lot of screens coming out at the moment with 1152 zone FALD and are HDR10 rated as they go up to 1600nits so should be as good as non OLED screens get tbh

The benq is just hdr10 compatible, has no FALD, no zones, nothing. Its a decent screen at 2000:1 contrast but only goes to 300nits.

So not a proper HDR screen at all., Remember when cheap TVs came out which were "HDR ready"? This is the monitor equivalent. ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
There are a lot of screens coming out at the moment with 1152 zone FALD and are HDR10 rated as they go up to 1600nits so should be as good as non OLED screens get tbh

The benq is just hdr10 compatible, has no FALD, no zones, nothing. Its a decent screen at 2000:1 contrast but only goes to 300nits.

So not a proper HDR screen at all., Remember when cheap TVs came out which were "HDR ready"? This is the monitor equivalent. ;)

Ugh, probably not in the next 3 months right?

Caporegime
OP
They are also £3500+ according to an Acer rep ($3500).

That is disgusting

Ill go for the benq.

Someone needs to make an oled screen in the 30-40 range with the quality of TV.

Wish could just get a TV, but far to big and I do a lot of productivity work

Soldato
That is disgusting

Ill go for the benq.

Someone needs to make an oled screen in the 30-40 range with the quality of TV.

Wish could just get a TV, but far to big and I do a lot of productivity work
Actually it's $3599 according to this Anandtech article: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1530...onitor-w1152zone-mini-led-fald-gsync-ultimate

Hopefully, this price is not final and will come down, but I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could get an OLED TV but 48" is still too big for me.

Caporegime
OP
Actually it's $3599 according to this Anandtech article: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1530...onitor-w1152zone-mini-led-fald-gsync-ultimate

Hopefully, this price is not final and will come down, but I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could get an OLED TV but 48" is still too big for me.

At least knowing the ballpark figure makes it an easy decision

Ill probably go for 2 monitors in that case.
A 4k standard aspect for photography and 3d deaign
An uwa for entertainment

Probably gonna go for 2 benqs

Associate
Generally speaking No ! its not really a massive difference just brighter colours ...
Going to have to seriously disagree with this. I've had an HDR monitor for a while (Philips 32" 4K, can't remember the stupid letter-soup model number) and I find HDR to be a revelation. The extended colour gamut gives a vibrancy and realism that I've never seen an SDR screen get anywhere close to. Even with just a few local dimming zones, HDR can be amazing if the manufacturer chooses a panel that can make good work of the wider gamut.

Caporegime
Gamut has no real connection to HDR.
Monitors capable to AdobeRGB gamut have been around for long time.

This which is why a great screen with a wide gamut and high contrast and max brightness will look miles better than some screen which might have hdr400 or hdr600 ratings. Was same with TV's. I had a superb 720p screen and it was a long time before I saw any 1080p screens which looked better than mine.

Soldato
I have the Asus PG43UQ monitor which can do HDR 1000 and it looks bloody lovely with the games i have that support it on the PC. I do think some developers implement it better than others though.

Soldato
LG C9 here. I don't really have a preference of HDR on or HDR off. It depends on the game, some look washed out some look alright but generally HDR off is more saturated looking which can suit cartoony games more.

Associate
I have the X35, but the FALD is just annoying. Halos, halos, halos. Watching a show with subtitles(I'm in Norway) is just bad. Everytime a line comes up up, there's a halo around the subtitles. It also has a lot of ghosting, but that's another story. It's not as annoying in games as it is when you read text, especially light text on dark background.

I'm returning it for an AW3420DW, which I have now and am happy with.

Caporegime
OP
Just an update

Decided to go with the benq EX3501R
But accepting the hdr is not worth it

The monitors that are much better are much much more expensive. And not worth it.
Feel it's better to get a uwa VA and a 4k ips at 500 each than a 1k monitor trying to do both

Was going to buy EX3501R today but prices are quite bit more expensive (especially on ocuk) . Might be supply issues from virus or whatever.

So purchase is on hold. Not paying inflated prices.

Soldato
I have the X35, but the FALD is just annoying. Halos, halos, halos. Watching a show with subtitles(I'm in Norway) is just bad. Everytime a line comes up up, there's a halo around the subtitles. It also has a lot of ghosting, but that's another story. It's not as annoying in games as it is when you read text, especially light text on dark background.
Indeed display makers should be aiming to scrap whole LCD and replace it with proper CRT beating tech, instead of just repolishing and renaming that same old turd.
All the money wasted to that would have certainly gone long way to produce real mature flat display tech.

Actually they were demoing LCD in every image quality aspect atomizing SED in 2006.
But then patent trolls and economic downturn killed its development and after economy rose, OLED became all the hype with its weakness of organic part.
Hopefully true quantum dot LEDs could replace that weak organic part in few years, because they shouldn't need total overhaul of manufacturing process.
Micro-LEDs with every pixel consisting from separate microscopic semiconductor LED, might take quite a few years to get high yields needed for reasonable prices.

Associate
I’ll hold my X34p until an oled around 40inches is out. There’s no reason for me to upgrade for a mild bump in PQ when I know what a true leap already looks like. Might be 2022 timeframe but that’s fine.

Back
Top Bottom