Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2020, Melbourne - Race 1/22

Rate the marble racing video

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
NxpwIRc.png
Melbourne
When was the track built?
The deal to host Formula 1 in Melbourne was done in 1993, with the decision taken to create a circuit using a mixture of the existing roads around the city’s Albert Park – mainly Aughtie Drive and Lakeside Drive if you fancy driving it yourself – with a little detour through the Lakeside Stadium’s car park.
When was its first Grand Prix?
Just four months after Adelaide held its last Australian Grand Prix at the end of 1995, the Formula 1 teams were back in Australia for Melbourne's first Grand Prix at the start of 1996. That race is most often remembered for Martin Brundle’s infamous Jordan crash at Turn 3 after he launched himself off the back of Johnny Herbert’s Sauber.
What’s the circuit like?
As a temporary facility, Albert Park can be quite bumpy, while the circuit at the start of the weekend is often slippery, rubbering in as the sessions progress. It’s also a circuit that requires a well-sorted chassis, with several spots on the track where the drivers require a reactive front end to allow them to chuck it into a corner – the main one being the rapid Turn 11-12 chicane. Melbourne is also one of the faster tracks on the calendar, with Lewis Hamilton’s 2019 pole lap set at an average of over 235km/h.
Why go?
Often found on lists of the world’s best cities, Melbourne is a blast all year round – and it only gets better when Formula 1 rolls into town. There are bars and restaurants aplenty, you’re right by the beach, while the race’s appearance at the start of Australia’s autumn means the temperatures should be peachy.
Where is the best place to watch?
If you want to get in a grandstand, opt for either the Waite stand overlooking Turn 12, or the Brabham Grandstand on the outside of Turn 2 to watch cars jostling for position through the first chicane. Alternatively, there are some nice general admission spots on the far side of the lake – go for either around Turns 9-10 or 11-12 if you fancy some F1 picnic feels.

TV Times
Sky:
07AlR2b.png
C4:
Saturday - 12pm Qualifying Highlights
Sunday - 2.10pm Race Highlights

Track Diagram & Information
nfHZltC.png

Weather Forecast
d3ZXtl6.png

2019 Race Highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ralian-grand-prix.3X4GdTrKKYRw8ZzL2X7svv.html

Practice 1
[to be added]

Practice 2
[to be added]

Practice 3
[to be added]

Qualifying
[to be added]

Race
[to be added]

Soldato
For those with Sky but without Sky Sports/F1 channel then the race is also live on Sky One, as well as a repeat starting afterwards at 8am. They did the same last year.

Qualifying (and of course practice) doesn't appear to be on Sky One.

Cheers for starting the threads again Shimmy.

Man of Honour
Its going to be interesting. Can't wait for Q3. I have a feeling Red Bull are going to be close to Mercedes on one lap pace, but Mercedes seem far ahead in race trim. Now certain things have come to light I think Ferrari will be hard pressed to win a race this season. I think there is also an engine reliability question at Mercedes. I'd love to see Hamilton get the 7th, but I want an entertaining fight along the way.

Soldato
Yay, F1 is back! :) Thanks for the thread, Shimmy

Its going to be interesting. Can't wait for Q3. I have a feeling Red Bull are going to be close to Mercedes on one lap pace, but Mercedes seem far ahead in race trim. Now certain things have come to light I think Ferrari will be hard pressed to win a race this season. I think there is also an engine reliability question at Mercedes. I'd love to see Hamilton get the 7th, but I want an entertaining fight along the way.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out if Merc really do have reliability issues. But yeah, I so want Lewis to match Schumacher and then go beyond that next year. I'm not asking for much. :D

Soldato
I read that someone of the team members from McLaren team have self isolated themselves in Australia....

Remind me why is this race still going ahead?

At least two members, possibly 3 from Haas have also been found to have it. Who knows how long they've had it and now who else in the team also has it, and they will be passing it on all down the pit lane, and in meetings etc.

Wait until one of the drivers gets it, will they stop the race then or just go on regardless?

Soldato
At least two members, possibly 3 from Haas have also been found to have it. Who knows how long they've had it and now who else in the team also has it, and they will be passing it on all down the pit lane, and in meetings etc.

Wait until one of the drivers gets it, will they stop the race then or just go on regardless?
its mental. how can this race go ahead?

Soldato
They have committed to it now, so they'll just end up with loads of cases within the teams and be forced to either continue with a reduced team size or cancel the next few.

Money before health. It's not like sporting events are actually important
They canceled the footy between arsenal and manchester city which was meant to be played tonight by the way so its inevitable other sporting events will follow suit.

Its more dangerous actually for f1 because they have over 100 thousand fans turning up from everywhere in the world and then when they get infected and fly back to there designated counties?

If you wanted to know how to spread this virus as quickly as possible, just host an internation event!!

Man of Honour

Just read that it's two Haas team members and one McLaren team member.

Being held in isolation at their hotel.

Soldato
No, they have symptoms which might indicate covid-19. They are also symptoms of far more common illnesses (eg a cold). Self isolation is a precaution until the test results come in.

However if the results do come back positive then it's hard to see the race going ahead. People's health, and those around them, is far more important than staging a race.

That said, while I think the global situation is largely over exaggerated, it was rather short-sighted to fly in thousands of people from the other side of the world for a race. That said, if the results are negative, they might as well just have the race anyway now - the on-track action is probably the safest part of the weekend. Just limit large gatherings where possible (including stopping spectators if necessary), face-to-face interviews and so on.

Back
Top Bottom