OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Ouch!

Our 20 month old is finalllllly walking! He started doing the odd step last night, then progressed more before bed, this morning he has done even better. I don't know why I'm so happy, I know how hard it is going to become now.
That's great. Maybe you're just relieved? Despite you knowing it's a silly concern (he'll walk eventually) I guess we worry that they might fall behind in life.

Congratulations baby Andy

Soldato
I know that, i'm just trying to soften the blow.

I have found overall the tough route works so much quicker.
Like for his dummy I just binned them all. Tantrum for a few minutes when I took the one he had off him, took a bit longer to get him to sleep the first couple of nights and that was it.

Same with food at the minute he refuses his meal on how he will get treats and snacks we just leave his meal nearby so he can see it and within an hour or so he points at it and eats the lot.

It's definitely not for everyone, the wife didn't like doing the first time but after seeing the results she's come round.

When he plays with a phone or such we can now just ask for it and he will hand it over, at first it was a case of taking it while at the same time saying phone please.

Soldato
What an exhausting last few days....5am Tuesday morning, the missus gets pains and we go to hospital, arriving at hospital they were about to send us home as she looked pretty good, only for them to do a quick examination and realise she was 6 cm dilated! We went straight through to a birthing suite and at 1708, baby Reuben was born.

I could barely get words out and sobbed myself silly at first! I didn't think I had such emotions, it was indescribable!

Got him home the next day and both mum and baby are doing great, mum coped amazing well during the birth on just gas and air and even remarked to me afterwards that it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be!!!

My life since has been a seemingly endless pursuit of sterilising things, and was secretly amazed at how OK I felt after 60+ hours straight of no sleep! There was no way I could sleep on the hospital ward in the chair! Ours was good as gold and barely whimpered but other babies were full on screaming!

Don
@robj20 Just read the thread, ups and downs emotionally, you and your other half did so well to stay strong throughout.

That's great. Maybe you're just relieved? Despite you knowing it's a silly concern (he'll walk eventually) I guess we worry that they might fall behind in life.

Congratulations baby Andy

Cheers :D and you're right, you see his mates at Nursery bumbling around and he isn't

Soldato
Ah I remember you just having had the twins. Relentless isn't it :D Glad you've survived it so far.

Don't read my reply above...ignore it
I still use the word relentless - you were the first person to use it to describe having twins - so thanks! It's so crazy, but absolutely brilliant. I wouldn't change it even if I could. They are my primary reason behind everything I do.

I've done a few days solo. Two months is gonna be tough, but I'm pretty stubborn. We shall see!

Soldato
OP
What an exhausting last few days....5am Tuesday morning, the missus gets pains and we go to hospital, arriving at hospital they were about to send us home as she looked pretty good, only for them to do a quick examination and realise she was 6 cm dilated! We went straight through to a birthing suite and at 1708, baby Reuben was born.

I could barely get words out and sobbed myself silly at first! I didn't think I had such emotions, it was indescribable!

Got him home the next day and both mum and baby are doing great, mum coped amazing well during the birth on just gas and air and even remarked to me afterwards that it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be!!!

My life since has been a seemingly endless pursuit of sterilising things, and was secretly amazed at how OK I felt after 60+ hours straight of no sleep! There was no way I could sleep on the hospital ward in the chair! Ours was good as gold and barely whimpered but other babies were full on screaming!
Congrats dude!

Soldato
Ours walked unaided today - been cruising around sofas and beds for a good couple of months, and would take a couple of steps before falling. But today my wife and I were looking at something on the floor and like some comedy sketch he just walked over to look at it too... and we all just stood there looking at it until I did a double take and realised he'd walked across the room.

Soldato
Has anyone got a switch lite for their kids? My daughters friend has one, so she wants one (which I'm not against) but just wanted people's opinions on it. Tbh I like the look of it so it will probably be an easy sell:D. Some of games look like they are taking the mick on pricing.

Don
Has anyone got a switch lite for their kids? My daughters friend has one, so she wants one (which I'm not against) but just wanted people's opinions on it. Tbh I like the look of it so it will probably be an easy sell:D. Some of games look like they are taking the mick on pricing.

How old are your kids? I'd say my 8 year old is responsible enough to not destroy one, not sure if the 5 year old lad would be. They struggle at times on the PS4 controller so I had to buy a smaller, 3rd party one, I'd be wanting to see if they can press all the buttons before buying them a Lite.

Soldato
OP
My daughter is doing some next level negotiation at the moment and I don't know how to handle it. Normally if she's being difficult I'll do something like

"if you don't go brush your teeth I'm going to take X away from you for a whole day"

And then if she doesn't comply I do that. Repeat etc.

Now if I do that she will stand up, take the thing I'm threatening to take away, no matter how dear to her, and throw it in the bin. Same with planned outings "I don't want to go anyway".

She'd rather burn everything she holds dear than have it taken away or give in to whatever small demand I'm making. Stubborn!

Soldato
My son is 3 and daughter is 6. They are both really good with the ps4 controllers (or they get shouted at:p). The switch would be just for her though, but then i'd feel bad for not getting my son anything. Size wise, they can both do games like nfs with a normal ps4 controller as i was worried that it would be too big but they have no issues with that.

Soldato
My daughter is doing some next level negotiation at the moment and I don't know how to handle it. Normally if she's being difficult I'll do something like

"if you don't go brush your teeth I'm going to take X away from you for a whole day"

And then if she doesn't comply I do that. Repeat etc.

Now if I do that she will stand up, take the thing I'm threatening to take away, no matter how dear to her, and throw it in the bin. Same with planned outings "I don't want to go anyway".

She'd rather burn everything she holds dear than have it taken away or give in to whatever small demand I'm making. Stubborn!
Sounds like she's called your bluff:D.

Soldato

We got our boys, 8 and 6, a Wii U - cheap as chips, loads of cheap games and like a switch lite lite!

Soldato
OP
Sounds like she's called your bluff:D.
I wish, that'd be an easy fix! It's more like she's committing super hard to her bluff. She knows I don't make idle threats so the only way to counter my consequences is to take control of the punishment by enacting it herself. I'm a bit stumped as to how to overcome it. I'm slightly impressed that she's decided victory is worth more than all of her possessions.

Soldato
Visited 3 nurseries yesterday and it was an easy choice which to send him to, he properly loved one of them and the staff were amazing.

Associate
Good news of the week - just found out we are in the very early stages of #2. #1 is now 21 months now.
Bad news of the week - the landlord has pretty much out of the blue decided they want their property back and we have till the end of may to find a new house. Not exactly great timing, but exciting regardless!

Back
Top Bottom