Petition about Android security updates

Permabanned
You've probably seen the recent news about Android security updates:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51751950
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/0...n-android-devices-at-risk-of-malware-threats/

I emailed my MP about this issue a few weeks back but haven't received a reply, so now it's petition time.

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300575

My petition:
Require phones to receive security updates for 5 years

Legislate that phones must recieve security updates for a minimum of 5 years after their UK release date.

Over 40% of Android users may no longer be receiving important security updates, potentially putting them at risk of malware, data loss and cyber attacks. Apple typically supports iPhones for around five years, and Microsoft will now continually update Windows 10 for the foreseeable future, having supported previous versions of Windows for up to a decade. People should not have to choose between using an insecure phone and replacing a perfectly good device.

Soldato
Phone companies also shouldn't be able to hold back updates. EE are awful for this and you can be waiting 3 months sometimes. My S9 was still on the January update before i got my shiny new S20 :)

Don
The only way this can work in practice is if every phone manufacturer uses stock android as it comes from Google

Why is that the only way it can work?

All it means is that manufacturers have to spend time ensuring that later Android releases work on older phones (in order to ensure they are running a platform that still receives security updates)

Of course this will require more developers/testing so likely any cost will get passed on to the end user, but how is that any worst than being "forced" to upgrade to a new phone every two years otherwise.

Soldato
The only way this can work in practice is if every phone manufacturer uses stock android as it comes from Google

so what was this new update feature which launched in android 9 all about? I forget the name, and looking online I think everyone else has to. Something else out of google which flopped.

Caporegime
It's funny all of these phone manufacturers will virtue signal about protecting the environment and yet they're more than happy to promote a throwaway culture through (effectively) forced obsolescence. I mean you have Apple hobbling their phones claiming it's to protect the battery to prod people into buying a new one.

Permabanned
OP
so what was this new update feature which launched in android 9 all about? I forget the name, and looking online I think everyone else has to. Something else out of google which flopped.
Project Treble? (Android 8)
Link: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/05/here-comes-treble-modular-base-for.html
tl/dr: Makes it easier for manufacturers to roll out Android updates by decoupling manufacturer-specific code from Android.

Which is great of course, projects like this have to happen to updates to be made easier, quicker, more often, and for longer time.

It seems that despite being able to roll out updates easier, they're still choosing to do it for only 2-3 years, which is why intervention is necessary.

Soldato
Project Treble? (Android 8)
Link: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/05/here-comes-treble-modular-base-for.html
tl/dr: Makes it easier for manufacturers to roll out Android updates by decoupling manufacturer-specific code from Android.

Which is great of course, projects like this have to happen to updates to be made easier, quicker, more often, and for longer time.

It seems that despite being able to roll out updates easier, they're still choosing to do it for only 2-3 years, which is why intervention is necessary.

That's it! your memory is better than mine :D

Soldato
I mean you have Apple hobbling their phones claiming it's to protect the battery to prod people into buying a new one.

For all of Apple's many failings, you can't criticize them for their lack of support. Buy a phone and get five years of updates. Or buy a Samsung at the same price and get 2 years of updates.

Soldato
For all of Apple's many failings, you can't criticize them for their lack of support. Buy a phone and get five years of updates. Or buy a Samsung at the same price and get 2 years of updates.
That's not really true though. Samsung are still supporting the S7 with quarterly security updates and that was released in 2016. The thing is, it's not clear cut with Samsung. The premium phones get the best support for the longest, but entry and midrange phones receive less.

But anyway, no. If you buy a Samsung for the price of an iPhone, you'll get at least 3 and probably 4 years of updates.

Soldato
But anyway, no. If you buy a Samsung for the price of an iPhone, you'll get at least 3 and probably 4 years of updates.

I meant OS updates. My Mam's iPhone 6S is currently on the latest version of iOS. My Note 10+ on the other hand, will see Android 11 (4-6 months after it's released) and probably nothing after that except security updates. So no new features, nothing.

Soldato
Yeah, it's related though because the easiest way to keep everyone secure will be to keep them on the latest version.

The easiest way is to separate the security updates from the OS updates as Google have done. If it was all baked in, we'd be waiting for vendors to validate and build each new version of Android for all of these handsets still in use just to get the latest security patches. Its not plausible, Android doesn't have a single hardware base to work with like Apple does.

Soldato
Updates that intentionally slow down your phone until it's unusable!

My Mam's iPhone 6S is five years old and it runs perfectly well. No judder, no nothing. It probably won't run PUBG, but in terms of using the OS, social media etc, it's perfectly fine. Have you got any personal experience of this 'slowing down until it's unusable'?

And Samsung phones are legendary for becoming slower with age.

Back
Top Bottom