LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Soldato
Associate
I will be getting the the new Playstation 5 when it comes out and this will be an ideal companion to it and also for my PC. By then HDMI 2.1 video cards will be out.

Associate
Can see them being more expensive as they were having production delays before Corona so supply will be limited.

https://www.oled-info.com/lgd-sees-...zhou-oled-tv-fab-mass-production-now-expected
Agree. Let's just hope that by the end of the year the pound gets stronger, production and supply is plentiful and coronavirus is no more.

With some luck it will be near £1k and clearly the best choice of screen 40"+, unless you can stretch to the bigger oled models!

Associate
Is there a reason OLED Tv's have to be 48 inches and above? Why has nobody produced a 32 - 42 range of models? I still think 48 is too big for a desktop monitor.

Caporegime
Is there a reason OLED Tv's have to be 48 inches and above? Why has nobody produced a 32 - 42 range of models? I still think 48 is too big for a desktop monitor.

Its all about making the individual OLEDs small enough. Only now have LG managed to make them small enough to produce a 4k 48" TV.(not saying others havent made smalled 4k OLED screens but it has to be at a viable cost and success rate)

Of course, there is nothing stopping LG (or others) using the 48" 4k panel to make lets say 40" 3440 × 1440 or 3840 × 1600 ultrawide OLED monitors. It would be dead easy.

Associate
Its all about making the individual OLEDs small enough. Only now have LG managed to make them small enough to produce a 4k 48" TV.(not saying others havent made smalled 4k OLED screens but it has to be at a viable cost and success rate)

Of course, there is nothing stopping LG (or others) using the 48" 4k panel to make lets say 40" 3440 × 1440 or 3840 × 1600 ultrawide OLED monitors. It would be dead easy.

Thanks for the reply, so based on that were looking at minimum a couple of years before we start seeing smaller OLED tv's/monitors?

Caporegime
Thanks for the reply, so based on that were looking at minimum a couple of years before we start seeing smaller OLED tv's/monitors?

I wuld assume so, at least. It seems to be very difficult (and expensive) to make them small enough to make lets say 32" 4k screens. If people didnt want 4k then you could have 32" OLED TVs today.

I am not sure there is the appetite either by the panel makers. They are struggling to make enough OLED panels now and are busy building new fabrication plants. Why invest time and money and then the cost to retool the plants in order to make 32" and 40" TVs? If they can keep making 55"+ (at least Lg is doing a 48") and selling enough of them then there is nothing in it for them.

The glimmer of hope is 8k luckily. At the moment the only 8k OLED is 88". It isnt available in any smaller sizes as LG can;t make the individual cells small enough yet. The competitors none OLED 8k tv's come as small as 55"such as Samsung Q950R. If LG want to compete with their OLED panels then they need to work on getting the pixels small enough that they can make a 55" OLED 8k screen.

Once they have done that then its easy to use the same panel with the same dpi to make 32" 4k screens. However, they would still be very expensive and perhaps people wouldnt buy them and I suspect LG would want to use all their 8k panels in 55" and 65" 8k TVs rather than 32" 4k screens.

Associate
I’m still waiting for the 77” to drop to £3.5k as the C8 did. I must admit it’s not looking likely though it’s been even cheaper in Europe.

Soldato
OP
I’m still waiting for the 77” to drop to £3.5k as the C8 did. I must admit it’s not looking likely though it’s been even cheaper in Europe.

Me too. Exactly the same position. I fear it won't even hit £4k.

I don't know which TV I'll get if the 77'' panel doesn't hit 4k as the 75'' LCD panels are lacking important features and still command decent price tags. Might just end up sitting tight and dealing with my tiny 65'' TV which looks smaller by the day.

Can't even upgrade projector as ideally I want Epson's successor to the 9400 which doesn't look likely to be released this year.

Associate
I've been watching this thread for some time and just purchased a 65" C9, and i'm so happy with it, i was initially torn between the Sammy Q90R and the C9 , but after seeing them side by side , playing the same 4k source (stupid shop mode off) the difference was night and day , the Q90's image looked noisy compared to the C9's and that sealed the deal for me. I'll add my own thoughts in the coming days as i've yet to play with any of the settings but even on the default eco mode its stunning .

Soldato
OP
I've been watching this thread for some time and just purchased a 65" C9, and i'm so happy with it, i was initially torn between the Sammy Q90R and the C9 , but after seeing them side by side , playing the same 4k source (stupid shop mode off) the difference was night and day , the Q90's image looked noisy compared to the C9's and that sealed the deal for me. I'll add my own thoughts in the coming days as i've yet to play with any of the settings but even on the default eco mode its stunning .

my LG OLED revolution continues.

I'm sure I'll become the number 1 assasination target of all monitor manufacturers soon

Associate
Buh bye traditional enthusiast monitor market when the incoming smaller-than-55" OLED TVs with Gsync arrive. With this thread having more pages than 99% of the rest of the monitor forum, I think we can see where this is going. Don't say I didn't warn them. Well, LG did 'heed my warning' I suppose, but I'll leave it here anyway 'cos they're still calling them TVs.

Edit: Okay, so this thread has more pages than ~90% of the rest of the forum rather than the original 99% exaggeration.

Now I just need a GPU at a decent price and with HDMI 2.2 without any chance of space invaders to power 4K 120Hz.

Last edited:
Associate

It's what they can economically produce on the multi-model glass (MMG) at the 8.5-generation Paju and Guangzhou plants that use Cannon MPAsp-H1003T lithographers.

32" 4K OLED panels using ink-jet printing are supposedly coming at some point from JOLED.

Back
Top Bottom