Pet insurance for cat.

Soldato
Hey guys,

I have a cat 11 years old, I suspect she may need some dental work soon and did have a rough quote from a vet recently at £600 if she needs extractions.

I don't have pet insurance for her, but was wondering is there some kind of insurance I can get to soften the blow of £600!

Anyone any experience with pet insurance? Having look, it appears to be more confusing than car insurance!

Soldato
OP
Yeh to be fair not really finding any insurance that will cover potential extractions, only dental accidents. Reason I was looking for insurance is nothing has actually been diagnosed yet, they just look a bit rough at the back so may just need a clean but was gonna prepare for the worst.

Soldato
You have already been to the vet and had the quote, therefore it is already on the cats file.

No insurance company will pay for this.

Soldato
OP
You have already been to the vet and had the quote, therefore it is already on the cats file.

No insurance company will pay for this.

Cheers mate, hadn't thought about that.

Anway , booked her in for next week to have the potential £600 extraction procedure and also just paid another annual fee of £240 for life time insurance cover, things we do for these furballs!

Soldato
LV I think were ok when we used them. Its best to insure and stay with the same provider before the age of 10. I think it was Sun life who offered a nice price initially then raised it horribly by many multiples on renewal and forced us to switch so the life time idea sounds more like it. Ironically I want to ask who was that with ?

Soldato
OP
Hi mate, yeh it was with Purely Pets, it was for £3000 vet fees, £160 excess+20% of any vet fees. It actually came to £202, just double checked.

I like the idea that they have a 24/7 vet line where I can call and ask for advice, they even do video calls if they need eyes on of my cat.

Yeh this is for lifetime insurance, so if she gets any illness then it will still be covered on next renewal.

Soldato
Everything on our Vets bill for our cats teeth to be done was itemized - Like 10 seconds for one tooth -6 seconds for another - every ball of cotton wool they used was listed - it was quite sad really - I would prefer a price and pay it.
Our cat insurance didn't cover teeth and if the cat was diagnosed with something it was covered for 12 months from that day. ronnie had a sore ear and vet just gave us something to put down it to clear it up - Then it got infected later on 14 months after first one so it wasn't covered anymore.
Pet insurance is a real minefield and to my mind Vets and insurance are the new second hand car dealers. They are just printing money.

Soldato
OP
Everything on our Vets bill for our cats teeth to be done was itemized - Like 10 seconds for one tooth -6 seconds for another - every ball of cotton wool they used was listed - it was quite sad really - I would prefer a price and pay it.
Our cat insurance didn't cover teeth and if the cat was diagnosed with something it was covered for 12 months from that day. ronnie had a sore ear and vet just gave us something to put down it to clear it up - Then it got infected later on 14 months after first one so it wasn't covered anymore.
Pet insurance is a real minefield and to my mind Vets and insurance are the new second hand car dealers. They are just printing money.

Gosh, sorry to hear that. It is a minefield and cases like yours kinda scare me which is why I opted for the life time option, forbid she does get ill come next year on renewal the illness will still be covered.

Can't type for toffee
Don
3 doesn't sound like much mate

I always recommend petplan for life, they did our dusty proud :) the for life part s the important part most policies wont cover existing conditions.
This includes conditions they've had before renewal!! Sneaky :grr:
Petplan do include dental and also I think 30% towards foods suggested by the vet
My mate picked up 2 strays from the shelter and had no clue about their history, turned out they both needed a fair amount of dental and one needed a number of exrtactions.
All covered by Petplan :)

Dusty much maxed her 7.5K out one year and then only a few months into the next year almost 4k gone!
The thing is if I hadn't had pet insurance then I know for a fact I'd have still paid the bills by whatever means.
We were paying ~26 a month to cover both our cats for life on 7.5k per year.
Other cat JD was in the vets for 2 and a bit days after an accident, that was the best part of 700 gone!

Soldato
OP
3 doesn't sound like much mate

I always recommend petplan for life, they did our dusty proud :) the for life part s the important part most policies wont cover existing conditions.
This includes conditions they've had before renewal!! Sneaky :grr:
Petplan do include dental and also I think 30% towards foods suggested by the vet
My mate picked up 2 strays from the shelter and had no clue about their history, turned out they both needed a fair amount of dental and one needed a number of exrtactions.
All covered by Petplan :)

Dusty much maxed her 7.5K out one year and then only a few months into the next year almost 4k gone!
The thing is if I hadn't had pet insurance then I know for a fact I'd have still paid the bills by whatever means.
We were paying ~26 a month to cover both our cats for life on 7.5k per year.
Other cat JD was in the vets for 2 and a bit days after an accident, that was the best part of 700 gone!

Damn really ? Do you know what plan your mate took to cover extractions? I did a quote with petplan for life and can only see cover for dental relating to accidents, which my purely pets one covers too. I did read that the petplan for life cover the dental for illness and accident but only if ..

12. The cost of dental treatment We will cover the treatment of a dental injury or illness if: • Your pet had a dental examination by a vet in the 12 months before the first clinical signs of the injury or illness were seen, and • Any treatment recommended as a result of the last dental examination was carried out within 3 months of the examination taking place.

Soldato
When we first got our puppy the vet strongly recommended taking on the lifetime cover, as if they pick up any prolonged illness, without it they'll only be covered for the remainder of that policy and then the following years policy it cannot be claimed on. We're paying about £32 a month for ours, i don't think the non-lifetime cover was that much cheaper tbh!

It seems a shame that they even offer non-lifetime cover, as i can understand it will appeal to people who may not be able to afford an all bells and whistles policy, but at the same time if their pet gets a serious illness, after that policy finishes, they'll be in serious financial hardship to cover the costs for any treatment.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Juts like I did mate think its PP Classic for life
Think the only thing I was told by one of the Petplan people was to ensure they check the teeth on checkups.
Dusty is sadly no longer with us but JD has 6 monthly health checks.

With me mates I think it was a case of they'd been given the all clear at the shelter and no concerns noted for the teeth that helped him

Soldato
OP
Juts like I did mate think its PP Classic for life
Think the only thing I was told by one of the Petplan people was to ensure they check the teeth on checkups.
Dusty is sadly no longer with us but JD has 6 monthly health checks.

With me mates I think it was a case of they'd been given the all clear at the shelter and no concerns noted for the teeth that helped him

Thanks mate, I've sent them an email to see if they have a plan that will help me with the cost of the dental extractions.

Your 6 monthly checks are they covered by your insurance?

Cheers mate, sorry to hear about Dusty!

Can't type for toffee
Don
Thanks mate, 2 years on shes still missed

The 6 monthly checks are just thru the vets as we joined their pet health club thing.
Gives us a discount on anything we buy (10/15% I think), all his boosters/wormers/fleat treatments na few standard appts a year for like nail clippign and the likes.
Think it costs about a tenner a month

Soldato
OP

The 6 monthly checks are just thru the vets as we joined their pet health club thing.
Gives us a discount on anything we buy (10/15% I think), all his boosters/wormers/fleat treatments na few standard appts a year for like nail clippign and the likes.

Ahh ok cool, think I will ask about that then, she will be getting her booster in Oct anyway so makes sense to just join their pet monthly thing.

Cheers mate!

Soldato
OP

Good shout mate, just called them (medivet) about their monthly plan and it is £20 a month but it has a 15% discount on dental procedures so gonna get that taken off the final dental bill. Thanks mate.

Can't type for toffee
Don
15% ah thats a canny discount :)
Was gonna say insurance and such will probably be a little higher due to age of your cat, missed that in the first post
JD's is rising a few quid every year as he gets older, doesnt really seem linked to the prior claims either which Im happy about

Back
Top Bottom