• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
If thats true, 40% might not be enough.

I agree.

The more I think about it from a value perspective, the more it concerns me. Assuming for the moment that the 3080 Ti is 40% faster than the 2080 Ti, I think that this would be 'enough' if the card cost £800 to £900 tops. However, we know that it won't because of the pricing structure that Nvidia have normalised over the last 18 months post-crypto boom, so it will be £1,000 to £1,200 in all likelihood. That muddys the water.

For me personally, it is almost enough and what might justify it is if the RTX is achievable without the FPS hit that the 2000 series suffers. However, the other question becomes this: what does the 3080 non-Ti deliver and for how much? If I can get 2080 Ti performance for £700 then the Ti version is hard to justify.

bru

bru

Soldato
Not liking the sound of this latest rumor personally, apart form the fact that 40% wouldn't be enough with what AMD are rumored to be bringing us, the whole thing just doesn't make enough sense and goes completely against all the other rumors that we have heard so far about Ampere.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
For me personally, it is almost enough and what might justify it is if the RTX is achievable without the FPS hit that the 2000 series suffers. However, the other question becomes this: what does the 3080 non-Ti deliver and for how much? If I can get 2080 Ti performance for £700 then the Ti version is hard to justify.

off that latest flying pig of a rumour and using their numbers the 3070 will be 95% the performance of a 2080ti. so maybe 450-500 ?

Soldato
disappointing if these latest rumors are true i hope amd spanks the monkey of nvidia this round (me hopes anyway ) i had high hopes for the ti version .
think ill be sticking to my 2080ti for the foreseeable future..

Associate
It almost certainly is on a Samsung node, and a cheap, mature non-EUV one is a good bet.

NVIDIA's ranking in number of lower node wafers consumed at TSMC is very low for this year and next, and with AMD spitting out way more CPUs these days, plus their PC / HPC GPUs, plus all the new custom console stuff, NVIDIA aren't in a great position to compete for those wafers.

I suspect Ampere will be much more competitively priced than Turing. Though I expect the HPC stuff will be on TSMC 7nm EUV.

Soldato
I’m curious what were people expecting? No way they were ever giving a 60% plus increase in performance was there? When does that ever happen? 40% over 2080ti gives us 120fps plus in 4K and I’ll be buying one. I can’t see AMD getting anywhere near that as we don’t even know if their latest card with match the 2080ti.

Soldato
12GB Vram for top end? That's just pathetic if true, and the 10 & 8 below that sickens me as well. I guess if they cut the price a lot, maybe they're decent. Right, Nvidia cutting prices. :D

Soldato
I’m curious what were people expecting? No way they were ever giving a 60% plus increase in performance was there? When does that ever happen? 40% over 2080ti gives us 120fps plus in 4K and I’ll be buying one. I can’t see AMD getting anywhere near that as we don’t even know if their latest card with match the 2080ti.
40% decent improvement, but it will likely end up like the current situation, 3070 will be best for the money and should do well for me being at 1440p. No chance paying over double that (£1000+) just for less than a 50% increase tho with the 3080Ti.

Soldato
oh hell no I hope not. This rumor stinks!

12gb vram? comon, im playing Cod Warzone now and its using 10.5gb of my 11gb VRAM at only 1440p!

Only 5300 cores? but HPC gets 8100, comon now Nvidia, give us more cores!!

Only 40% higher performance? Dammit I want to get locked 120fps @ 4k on my OLED, give it to me!

I'm stuck with Nvidia, all my screens only support Gsync, so what AMD does is irrelevant unfortunately

Permabanned
oh hell no I hope not. This rumor stinks!

12gb vram? comon, im playing Cod Warzone now and its using 10.5gb of my 11gb VRAM at only 1440p!

Only 5300 cores? but HPC gets 8100, comon now Nvidia, give us more cores!!

Only 40% higher performance? Dammit I want to get locked 120fps @ 4k on my OLED, give it to me!

I'm stuck with Nvidia, all my screens only support Gsync, so what AMD does is irrelevant unfortunately

Using or partially caching?

Soldato
Using or partially caching?

Don't know how to check, please advise

Not sure what you are expecting when even a 2080Ti can dip below 50fps in some games at 4k, from what i see from benchmarks.

With maxed out settings perhaps. Some games can be even worse than that. I don't mind using lower settings though - like using High instead of Ultra , but I fear with only 40% bump, even lowered settings it may not reach 120fps. I may have to settle for 100fps. (if the rumour is true)

Back
Top Bottom