Windows 10

Man of Honour
They've started to roll out 10 at work (after twice aborting attempts previously as it caused too many issues to put it into a production environment) - rather interesting setup - I don't know all the details but they've gone out of house for a company that has heavily customised builds, even a lot of the icons, etc. are completely different to anything I've seen before - looks more like server 2012 than 10, supposedly the image is completely locked down with regards to updates - I hope they aren't under-estimating how much MS have their grips in and/or licensing terms - though whoever produced it seems to know what they are doing.

Permabanned
They've started to roll out 10 at work (after twice aborting attempts previously as it caused too many issues to put it into a production environment) - rather interesting setup - I don't know all the details but they've gone out of house for a company that has heavily customised builds, even a lot of the icons, etc. are completely different to anything I've seen before - looks more like server 2012 than 10, supposedly the image is completely locked down with regards to updates - I hope they aren't under-estimating how much MS have their grips in and/or licensing terms - though whoever produced it seems to know what they are doing.

only just? Windows 10 has been out since July 2015, that’s 5 years.

How many workstations are you talking about here?

Man of Honour
only just? Windows 10 has been out since July 2015, that’s 5 years.

How many workstations are you talking about here?

Company wide over all devices it is being rolled out to just over 5000 installations I believe. They tried twice before but it wasn't even funny how badly broken/poorly suited Windows 10 was in this environment.

Permabanned
Company wide over all devices it is being rolled out to just over 5000 installations I believe. They tried twice before but it wasn't even funny how badly broken/poorly suited Windows 10 was in this environment.

That’s a lot of workstations. I understand now why it’s taken so long to roll it out.

Isn’t it amazing that how long Windows can be taken to roll out into production because of how bad the systems are.

I think it’s got worse over time and it’s taken longer for businesses to adopt.

That’s going to cost a fortune for Microsoft licensing.

Man of Honour
That’s a lot of workstations. I understand now why it’s taken so long to roll it out.

Isn’t it amazing that how long Windows can be taken to roll out into production because of how bad the systems are.

I think it’s got worse over time and it’s taken longer for businesses to adopt.

That’s going to cost a fortune for Microsoft licensing.

Several issues, albeit mostly ironed out now, were never an issue with past upgrades to 7, etc. IIRC the first time they aborted was due to Windows 10 throwing up modal dialogs for certain things like notifications inappropriately which is unacceptable on public facing and/or systems where a user is interactively controlling peripherals, etc.

I don't get the defence of 10 in wider usage beyond simple desktop tasks so many features have been implemented with a lack of vision and an unwillingness to changed them to improve the end user quality of life experience with a lot of dragging of feet and horrid special casing like the updates options now where rather than just hold their hands up and do the right thing we've got a mismatch of a dozen clunky ways to manage updates which is a total mess implementation wise and still less than ideal despite finally having the ability to differ them longer term (which is kind of missing the point anyhow as not all or even a majority complaining about automatic updates just want to disable them/put them off as long as possible but want better control on their own terms).

Permabanned
Several issues, albeit mostly ironed out now, were never an issue with past upgrades to 7, etc. IIRC the first time they aborted was due to Windows 10 throwing up modal dialogs for certain things like notifications inappropriately which is unacceptable on public facing and/or systems where a user is interactively controlling peripherals, etc.

I don't get the defence of 10 in wider usage beyond simple desktop tasks so many features have been implemented with a lack of vision and an unwillingness to changed them to improve the end user quality of life experience with a lot of dragging of feet and horrid special casing like the updates options now where rather than just hold their hands up and do the right thing we've got a mismatch of a dozen clunky ways to manage updates which is a total mess implementation wise and still less than ideal despite finally having the ability to differ them longer term (which is kind of missing the point anyhow as not all or even a majority complaining about automatic updates just want to disable them/put them off as long as possible but want better control on their own terms).

If companies used all their apps in the web they could save a fortune and would be far more stable using something like Ubuntu desktop. Very easy to integrate it into AD/Samba AD. Even more easier to image systems and get universal hardware working.

For me it would be how much a company would save in licence costs alone. Might need to spend a bit on training though but that could be done in house.

I’m getting tired of Microsoft now in their enterprise sectors. (Except 365)

Man of Honour
If companies used all their apps in the web they could save a fortune and would be far more stable using something like Ubuntu desktop. Very easy to integrate it into AD/Samba AD. Even more easier to image systems and get universal hardware working.

For me it would be how much a company would save in licence costs alone. Might need to spend a bit on training though but that could be done in house.

I’m getting tired of Microsoft now in their enterprise sectors. (Except 365)

We've moved a ton of stuff to 365 and/or cross-platform software so not sure why they went with 10 though there is still some bespoke legacy software that only runs on Windows but nothing so complex IMO it couldn't be easily either recompiled for *nix or rewritten.

EDIT: Though to be fair with a large company there is a whole process that has to be gone through when rolling out software to make sure procedures (i.e. compliance testing) and standards are adhered to, etc. - even if more often than not the quality of the software leaves a lot to be desired :(

Man of Honour
Have to say in general I'm getting more and more fed up with MS - using one of the latest versions of Visual Studio - got a bunch of red marks over half my code because I adjusted something in the main header file around 5 minutes ago and intellisense still hasn't caught up - never used to happen in VS 2013 - regularly get lots of slowdowns while stuff works away in the background, times when the IDE thinks it knows better than you after a change you've made and you have to let it play out until it has got over itself and numerous times when it seems to forget or screw up project settings, etc. like earlier I'd saved and closed the project in debug configuration and it reloaded in release and I didn't notice immediately which caused some confusion.

EDIT: Took it 12 minutes to catch up with the fact I added a ; to the end of a line in the header file...

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do some things i download go into the "temp" folder? In Firefox I have it set to "Downloads". I have downloaded several .rar files as mods for ETS2 and they go into the download folder. But a .PNG I downloaded goes into temp?

Associate
Man of Honour
Oh dear :/

Meanwhile over in the CPU forum they are kicking each other in the shins over vulnerabilities that are a fraction as concerning...

Please excuse me while I step outside and have a good laugh at those touting security and Windows 10 earlier in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom