Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
It was a stupid idea. In the corona thread I keep saying about it getting worse and worse, but saw the rally as a opportunity.

Glad I came to my senses

Soldato
The threat now is the contagion of the coming liquidity crisis. How many airlines, hospitality, tourism businesses have the cash reserves to weather a shutdown for several months? Do governments have the tools and will to prop them up?

Associate
It still appears that generally the markets are still invested for the long term with a bias of positions being long. Whether that is people buying at what they believe is the bottom or those looking to trade a bounce I have no idea.

Historically the lowest lows following such crashes like this are not seen for weeks or months after the event, although because of the rare and intricate situations the data isn't really there to concretely formulate any pattern.

Associate
Interestingly it looks like commodities are taking a hit right now...if money is leaving commodities and stocks are still dropping...where is it going?

People building cash reserves to jump in hard?

Caporegime
It still appears that generally the markets are still invested for the long term with a bias of positions being long. Whether that is people buying at what they believe is the bottom or those looking to trade a bounce I have no idea.

Historically the lowest lows following such crashes like this are not seen for weeks or months after the event, although because of the rare and intricate situations the data isn't really there to concretely formulate any pattern.

Depending on the severity, I expect those with lots of cash to make a killing when this is over

Lows like this come less than once a decade

Assuming it dips into the 4k range

Associate
Looking to put 5k into each of vanguards all world etf and the s&p 500 etf. I know trying to judge the market is futile, but it seems to be dropping so much each day.
Maybe I'll do 500 into each over the next week or so. Spread it out :D

Soldato
Looking to put 5k into each of vanguards all world etf and the s&p 500 etf. I know trying to judge the market is futile, but it seems to be dropping so much each day.

I've been doing 500 a month, tempting to increase that a bit if things keep going down (don't need the money back any time soon) - Picked non-overlapping funds though (no idea if that's a good strat or not!) Some in a FTSE 100 one and some in one I found which is Global excluding FTSE 100... (I guess I could have just gone for a lifestrategy type one that might do something similar but being new to it I fancied playing about myself)

Associate
The Vanguard VWRL fund looks to overlap a bit with S&P 500 so your portfolio would be biased to certain events and markets (especially USA fundamentals). With that said long term both are safe bets in my opinion.

I'm in the same boat of looking to jump in and perhaps the best advice is to cost-average in like uncle_rufus has alluded to and invest smaller amounts over a longer period. With that strategy you may not end up getting the absolute best price, but you'll be in the market and your average buyin price will be moving with it.

Caporegime
TSLA and SPCE are looking very juicy at the moment... I think now is a good time to buy as everything slumped even further due to trumps announcement. Of course it could still drop... but surely not so much further?

Soldato

Any further info on this ? I have a few k lying about I'd like to throw into the stock market, not done shares before so no idea where to start

Soldato
Any further info on this ? I have a few k lying about I'd like to throw into the stock market, not done shares before so no idea where to start

In brief...

Setup a trading account somewhere that offer Stocks + Shares ISA...

Move money into the ISA..

Pick what stocks/shares/funds you want to buy into...

It was pretty straightforward when I did it a little while ago. I went with HL based on Googling around and finding a few articles comparing different places

Associate
Depending on how long term you're thinking, bear in mind that this is a risky time to get in. Given what's happening with supply chains and travel bans there's a good chance of it dropping further. There will be knock on effects in terms of liquidity as well - as I mentioned before there's a lot of debt out there that won't be getting serviced if things carry on like this. Looking at the charts for the major indices, this drop looks very severe even compared with 2008.
I'm due to move back to the UK next week (assuming I can actually travel) and I've got some USD saved up. With both GBPUSD and shares going through the floor I might be able to make a tidy profit, but I do work in financial services so I have to balance that against the fact that if this gets too bad then I might not have a job for a great deal longer. At the very least I know that this will be given as a reason for a crappy comp package next year.

Soldato
On the cusp of moving 25k cash ISA to Vanguard to spread across the LifeStratagy funds but with what's going on I have no idea if or when I'll want to take the plunge! I suppose a sensible approach would be to work with 1k chunks invested per week for 25+ weeks!

Soldato
URL]
FTSE 100 looks like it’s going to be down 10% today, eek!

Caporegime
So is there any speculation from folks about how bad this will be in terms of history? Worse or better than 2008? Or are we potentially going to creep up on 1929's level of losses?

Soldato
I think in the next few days they will have to suspend trading completely or it’s going to be “short” city and a race to the bottom!

We’ve had a Bull market for years and we were due a correction but COVID brings it to a whole new level!

Back
Top Bottom