1mm cable for RGB lights ?

dal

dal

Associate
Hi, So I want to get some RGB decking/ patio lights, the ones that have a wire between them ( as opposed to the RGB strips ) but they only have 1 meter between them & although I'll probably only be having them about 1 meter apart because the connection to each light is between them it is not possible to use them as they are as I want to fit them in the ground & the wires will be underground.
So would 4 core 1mm cable be viable, would it be better for voltage drop ? I'm also thinking about maybe going 24v instead of 12v. Could I tee off from the main cable for each light or would I have to keep the wiring all in series ?

Associate
What's the current rating & what sort of lengths of wire runs are you looking at?

Voltage (in the ranges you're talking about) don't make a difference to the wire you'll need, it's the current you need to consider.

Unless you're talking more than ~10A, or over particularly long distances, then 1mm2 would be plenty. Just make sure your wires are suitable for burying.

Parallel/series will depend on the power source & light types. If you've got a 12V source, and 12V lights, you want to parallel them all together, rather than series them.

Back
Top Bottom