• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Your favorite graphics card?

Soldato
Diamond 3DFX Voodoo 1, game changer for computer graphics.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, when my FX5600 went sour I replaced it with an ATI card (first time buying an ATI product) and the card was amazing. Colours were more vibrant and games run faster, my only regret was I wish I originally purchased it when I done my original build (some time around 2002).

Caporegime
An old Palit 8800GT. It has a crap cooler that always ran at full speed and was the cheapest 8800GT I could find. It was a revelation in Call Of Duty Modern Warfare. 100FPS on what was my 1680x1050 monitor with everything on. Compared to the card I had before it was a major step change in performance.

Soldato
GTX 970, okay had that vRAM issue, but for most the part at the time when using it worked amazingly well in the twin frozer cooler. May have been because it was my first time back to PC's at the time, but card was a champ and great price / performance.

GTX 1080Ti, something about it, in FE SKU loved the shroud and design, overall performed very well given the price relative to what came with Turing.

Associate
Can't remember my full card history. Here's the highlights. :)

Voodoo1 card was first venture into "proper" 3D. Unreal was great at the time.

Going up to 2 x Voodoo 12MB cards in SLI was a big leap.

Only used a Voodoo 3000 series with my amiga years later. Pc wise went to a Geforce 256/2?

Biggest step up was probably getting an ATI 9700 All In Wonder card and being able to flash it to a full card, and have TV/Video capture to boot.

Had a few ATI/AMD cards in SLI. Twin 7970 lasted for years, and I dabbled with a 3 screen eyefinity setup too.

Switched to a 980ti which lasted for a good few years and still in my nephews pc.

For the original wow/next gen factor it has to be the voodoos - but then things were changing so quick back then. Big leaps in CPU power and audio quality too (for the time).

7970's were good cards but the MSI 980ti gaming X card was great - decent power and pretty quiet too.

The radeon VII has been..... ok. The fact it wasn't around for too long is a bit of a kicker too.

Associate
Hmmm. Hard to say.

The cards I was most pleased with relative to the time I had them and the return I got from them....probably the 980ti and 1070. I have gone through countless dozens of cards, tend not to hang onto them long really. Even in the last few years I've had 980Ti, 1070, 1080, 1080ti, 2070, currently 2070 Super and eyeing up the new 30x0 series. (should have stayed with the 1080ti in hindsight)

The card that kept me trucking the longest....probably a TNT2 around 1999 I think, and I had just upgraded from some crappy Pentium 166 machine, I could not believe my eyes when I saw Quake 2 running on the TNT2/P3 combo in comparison to what it used to look like)

Or 7600GT, think that was around 2004 or so? Remember going from some crappy X600 128MB to that, I was blown away.

Associate
3DFX Voodoo 2 12MB ( I had two in SLI both were press samples) was my first, playing wargasm with all the bells and whistles was a mind blowingly good experience way back when.
After that 9700Pro, and playing Battlefield 1942 with it was a sublime experience.

Associate
Toss up for me between the 8800gtx which i had a pair of, was a huge step up from previous cards.

But also the GTX580's i had a pair of Asus direct cuii's and if anybody else remembers how hot these things ran, you'll know you needed good ventilation for them.

Soldato
Yeah for me it was a 3dfx voodoo card, I was mesmerised by the Unreal intro sweeping around the castle. Back in the day :D
That was a long time ago, now I think my 1080Ti hybrid is a classic. It powers through so many things still today and the 1080Ti is 3yrs old now!

Back
Top Bottom