UEFA Champions League/Europa League 10/11/12 March *** Spoilers ***

fez

fez

Caporegime
First of all the "if he lets in one of those..." argument is nonsense.

Its as much nonsense as being adamant that a different keeper would have lead to a different outcome. You can't know what would have happened and AM still only needed that one goal. I'm sure if Salah, Mane or Firmino weren't playing you would be sitting here saying "Mane would have put those chances away" and such other speculative phrases and yet they missed a load of good chances.

Don
Its as much nonsense as being adamant that a different keeper would have lead to a different outcome. You can't know what would have happened and AM still only needed that one goal. I'm sure if Salah, Mane or Firmino weren't playing you would be sitting here saying "Mane would have put those chances away" and such other speculative phrases and yet they missed a load of good chances.
I've said that we'll never know for certain, it is however my opinion that had Alisson played then he'd have saved all 3 shots, the most important of which being the first. I'm really not sure what you're struggling with, it's hardly a controversial view. In fact I'd suggest anybody with an ounce of knowledge of football would share that view.

Now maybe it's just your opinion that the chances for the 2nd and 3rd goal would have still come about had the 1st goal not been scored (I think Alisson saves them anyway) but if so that would be incredibly naive of you imo.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I've said that we'll never know for certain, it is however my opinion that had Alisson played then he'd have saved all 3 shots, the most important of which being the first. I'm really not sure what you're struggling with, it's hardly a controversial view. In fact I'd suggest anybody with an ounce of knowledge of football would share that view.

Of course you would think that. You are a Liverpool fan. Plenty of people don't share that opinion unsurprisingly.

Now maybe it's just your opinion that the chances for the 2nd and 3rd goal would have still come about had the 1st goal not been scored (I think Alisson saves them anyway) but if so that would be incredibly naive of you imo.

Because obviously AM would have just downed tools and walked off the pitch without that first goal. Its OK though, because anything AM could have thrown at you would have been saved if you had Allison right?

Don
Of course you would think that. You are a Liverpool fan. Plenty of people don't share that opinion unsurprisingly.

Because obviously AM would have just downed tools and walked off the pitch without that first goal. Its OK though, because anything AM could have thrown at you would have been saved if you had Allison right?

Who are these people that don't believe that Alisson would have made a significant difference? Whoever they are either have no understanding of football or are talking nonsense.

And no, of course they wouldn't have downed tools but the likelyhood of them creating clear chances to score would have been smaller as Liverpool would have been less open. I'm honestly struggling to understand your point here. Again, I'm not saying that it's 10000% certain that we'd have won the tie, we'll never know but it's my view that Alisson was highly likely to have made a difference and we would have. Do you believe that's an unreasonable view?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Who are these people that don't believe that Alisson would have made a significant difference? Whoever they are either have no understanding of football or are talking nonsense.

And no, of course they wouldn't have downed tools but the likelyhood of them creating clear chances to score would have been smaller as Liverpool would have been less open. I'm honestly struggling to understand your point here. Again, I'm not saying that it's 10000% certain that we'd have won the tie, we'll never know but it's my view that Alisson was highly likely to have made a difference and we would have. Do you believe that's an unreasonable view?

I don't think its an unreasonable view at all. I just think you are far too sure that it would have made a difference. I'm not sure it would. Just to be sure, how confident are you that Liverpool would be in the next round with Allison in goal. Out of 10 if you don't mind.

Don
I don't think its an unreasonable view at all. I just think you are far too sure that it would have made a difference. I'm not sure it would. Just to be sure, how confident are you that Liverpool would be in the next round with Allison in goal. Out of 10 if you don't mind.
Given how the game played out up until Atletico scored, 9. There's a 1 in 1000 chance that Alisson concedes that first goal - he's not likely to make the initial mistake and is even less likely to not save the shot. At 2-0 Atletico would have had to thrown everything at us and it's more likely that we'd have scored a 3rd on the break than they'd have got one back.

At no point in the 210 minutes of the tie did Atletico dominate the game. Their entire game plan was to defend deep and hope to score from set-plays or counters because they knew an open game massively favoured us.

Soldato
Battered them, only difference was Oblak.

And the fact you scored 2 less goals. 0 shots on target in the first leg and only 3 more than Atleti overall is pretty weak for a battering. And for a keeper of Oblak's quality none of the saves were exactly difficult.

If Liverpool's front 3 spent less time trying to con the ref maybe the result would have been different.

Don
If trying to con the ref had any negative effect on the outcome of the game then we'd have won 25-0 and 40-0 in the first leg.

Caporegime
Even his 'dive' to save the shot was like, he just didn't set for it, it was incredible how he just flopped.

Weird to suggest people shouldn't talk about hypotheticals, leaves room for very little to talk about as from an analytical POV its only natural to do it.

Also Oblak was very good, to face that volume of shots without mistake is still impressive regardless of the quality. (See Adrian facing average shots and spilling/conceding nearly all)

Don
Nothing to do with them not spending every other minute rolling on the floor or surrounding the ref, waving imaginary cards?

Don
It's not really going round in circles, I assumed you were joking when you commented on gamesmenship in a match involving Atletico.

Back
Top Bottom