Alfa Romeo Giulia GTA/M

Soldato
even the non-specials giulias are gorgeous (eurythmics song always seems pertinant),
maybe there are just few on the road, but, I only saw my first red one two days ago.

OcUK Staff
Its a shame BMW, Audi or Merc cant make a car that good looking.

Why a shame, the Alfa is a better drive.
The way to think of these cars are as if they are a Saloon version of a Ferrari, the driving, damping, handling on the road is in another league compared to say an M4, they are also epic fast too, more so than the numbers would suggest.
For me a Merc or a BMW would not even get a look in against the regular Alfa, let alone this version, they simply drive so much better and in bumpy road mode are superbly damped on UK roads, I think for me the only better Saloon car than the regular one of these is the Project 8, but this new hardcore version would be my no.1 choice if I was in the market for a hyper saloon. Its a Ferrari with 4 doors and Ferrari know how to make a car drive amazingly well!

Soldato
Alfa - stop buggering about with special editions, and make an estate version!

(So I can buy it in about 6 years time when it's depreciated a load.)

My old Alfa 156 GTA SW is still the best car I've ever owned - despite being in a Merc AMG C63 now which is better than it in almost every measurable way (except looks). There was just something about that car.

OcUK Staff
Alfa - stop buggering about with special editions, and make an estate version!

(So I can buy it in about 6 years time when it's depreciated a load.)

My old Alfa 156 GTA SW is still the best car I've ever owned - despite being in a Merc AMG C63 now which is better than it in almost every measurable way (except looks). There was just something about that car.

And the 2 door coupe that was rumoured!

Associate
Alfa really do make some beautiful cars. I just wish people judged them on reality, not what people still say based on a reputation from the 80's.

Exactly this

I have had a steady stream of Italian motors and done ~100k in nearly all of them from new and apart from a brake issue on my 147 GTA which would warp on an enthusiastic drive to work (which to Alfas credit they did fix with bigger calipers and discs FoC eventually ) they have been very good, my car club friends continually mock based on this old rep but all of my cars have been better than their German stuff in reliability stakes though I would concede Italians not so good with interior build quality.

Currently looking to replace one of my current cars, one of which is another Italian car on its way to 100k, an Abarth, which has done much track and competition etc and it has had superb reliability, discounting where I have broken it with corner cutting on the tuning, I 've been looking at BMWs so have of course been doing a lot of research, it does seem that BMW actually deserve the rep that Alfa has :D at least going by most youtube reviews of anything BMW related where the reliability of BMW is always brought up, certainly on US based content.

I wish my Mazda was as reliable and my Abarth.....that's a statement I never thought I would make :D

Still reading the workshop manual on the GTA, it does look very complicated electronically, I would say it would concern me generally as it got older, but that is probably anything modern these days.

Absolutely love this GTAm, I wouldn't bank on depreciation, Italian car depreciation is not as bad as it used to be, 4Cs still hold strong money for example, blimey even my Abarth hasn't done bad for a cheap Punto, I was expecting it to be worth about 5p about now :D

Last edited:
Associate
I test drove a Giulia QF a few months back and was pretty seriously considering it for a daily. The whole reliability stories on the internet put me off for a daily tbh. Would put up with fairly frequent issues on a weekend car but not something i just need to 'work'.

That being said, it drove really well. The steering especially is very different to the normal german stuff; extremely precise and perhaps a little too darty for a daily. As gibbo says above, the suspension is extremely supple and great over B-roads.

Couple of other things were that you can only get the exhausts to open valves when your in race mode, which also turns off the DSC! Very italian. I believe the 19 model year allows it anytime. The tyres are limited too, with corsas being pretty much the only choice; not great in the winter!

....but i still think about buying one lol.

Back
Top Bottom