Youtube & Ads

Soldato
Anyone noticed a significant increase in advertisements "within" YouTube videos lately?

Im all for you tube content creators making money from their vids,However it seems lately whoever i watch im seeing at least 2 to 3 advertisements interrupting,And its always Ad 1 of 2 and they aint short either,yes you can skip but if you do skip you'll then be greeted with the same in the next video,im talking about on a TV here,Not on the computer.

I did look into the YouTube premium,as i hear this does completely do away with ads,But at £11.99 month?

So yeah,just wondering if anyone else has noticed this significant increase in ads and whats your view on it,Too many ads? feel YT premium is too costly?

Soldato
Too many ads? feel YT premium is too costly?
yep - very rarely bother with youtube now to be honest. used to enjoy flicking through it to find interesting content but it's too much like hard work now. between the endless dross and excessive adverts i rarely bother now unless i need to find something specific.

Soldato
Have noticed an increase in double adverts lately, used to just be a 7/8 second advert mid video, now it's doubled up and multiple points through the video.

However, at the end of the day, it's a free service so i'll put up with it. Shame they can't make their premium service more accessible, £12/month is ludicrous...i'd happily pay a few quid though.

I've had a free 3 month trial of their premium before and it was a breath of fresh air watching without interruptions.

Soldato
Huge increase in ads on the mobile app in the past several months, both before videos and static ones embedded in the app as you scroll (including some really dodgy/clickbaity ads). Fortunately they still haven't sussed how to prevent Ublock Origin from blocking ads on the YouTube website though so no issues there.

Caporegime
Youtube has been in a downward spiral for a while now. It's fairly hard to pinpoint the exact trigger it all went to poopoo but the writing's been on the wall for a while now, I suspect this is the reason we're all getting recommended 10 year old videos, because the odds of them being monetized are fairly slim so they can monetize them themselves and claim those sweet sweet clicks.

This of course is likely a result of them chopping the revenue from Adsense for content creators, meaning that the quality of content has suffered.

YouTube's solution to this was to enforce a 10 minute rule. Only vids of 10 mins or more can be monetized, which is why we have videos which are 30 seconds of content waffled out to 10 mins, just look on any major channel and you'll see vids between 10 and 11 mins long.

Of course another aspect is their copyright claiming system which is so blatantly open to abuse, their lack of communication with content creators, their censorship (anything about the coronavirus is instantly demonetized atm, regardless of what it is) and tons of other crap practices.

10 years ago Youtube was in a great place and people were making decent money which resulted in more passion, more money, and better quality.

Nowadays it's falling off a cliff and their tactics of simply jamming more ads in to their videos feels like that last nail clinging on before they fall in to the abyss of irrelevance.

I said it 10 years ago and I'll say it again: all it'll take for YouTube to be killed is a good platform which is just as easy to use and rewards it's creators generously. This is, as far as I'm concerned, literally the only reason youtube is alive. The sooner it vanishes, the better.

V F

V F

Soldato
Anyone noticed a significant increase in advertisements "within" YouTube videos lately?

Im all for you tube content creators making money from their vids,However it seems lately whoever i watch im seeing at least 2 to 3 advertisements interrupting,And its always Ad 1 of 2 and they aint short either,yes you can skip but if you do skip you'll then be greeted with the same in the next video,im talking about on a TV here,Not on the computer.

I did look into the YouTube premium,as i hear this does completely do away with ads,But at £11.99 month?

So yeah,just wondering if anyone else has noticed this significant increase in ads and whats your view on it,Too many ads? feel YT premium is too costly?

I'm seeing Youtube inject ads into my gameplay clips even though I don't have ads/monetisation enabled. There's at least 3 yellow squares I'm seeing on my stuff now. :/

Soldato
Yeah the ads are annoying as hell. Not 12 quid/m annoying though. Also I heard something about premium users getting some ads introduced. Not sure on the veracity of that though. I tend to back out of a video if I get an ad mid content unless it's a video I'm really engaged in

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah the ads are annoying as hell. Not 12 quid/m annoying though. Also I heard something about premium users getting some ads introduced. Not sure on the veracity of that though. I tend to back out of a video if I get an ad mid content unless it's a video I'm really engaged in

I hate the ones with long engrossing deep interviews and an ad pops up on mobile then I'm... "oh for gods sake!"

Twitch is the worst for Scottish granny glove/backseat compartment speed ads.

Caporegime
Audible really is trying hard to give me a free book when signing up, damn ads.

It's those stupid mobile game ads that get me. Their budget was clearly about 50p, it's literally just 2 mins of someone playing the game with zero voiceover or anything, with a big DOWNLOAD NOW button.

Yeah well done guys, fantastic marketing that :confused:

Soldato
OP
Yes its very annoying now. Plus you cant leave music playing without it asking you if youre still listening to it.
So this was actually put on by youtube then,i was wondering why it kept asking me this yesterday if i was still there when listening to music on my phone,i thought it was a new annoying android feature on my phone because it installed a few android updates before i started listening.

Mobile yes, massively. I'd say 2-3 weeks ago it started to get worse. 2 unskippable ads at the start on every video. Used to be one for a couple of videos, but now it's ratcheted up.

It simply makes me not want to watch the video, so I don't.

Desktop, no as AdBlock still seems to be working.

Back
Top Bottom