• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Do it, people that say 4k isn't there yet, I have this simple argument

There are people that play at 1080p and 1440p at medium/high settings to get 60fps or more and it's "there" why can't the same be said for just high to ultra mixed settings at 4k?
There seems to be this thing that if you are gaming at 4k without everything on full then some how it's not ready.... Makes no sense
I play all my games at 4k and never see below 60fps on my 2080ti

Hell I even play some games at 5k or 8k maxed or there abouts it depends on the game

but the 2080ti is still £1000ish and the 3070 could get near it for half the price and maybe better RT.

if you haven’t pulled the trigger on a 2080ti by now, you’ve waited too long.

Associate
if you haven’t pulled the trigger on a 2080ti by now, you’ve waited too long.

I agree completely. The only reason to buy a 2080 Ti now or in the future is if it gets a price cut, but it won't because as with the 1080 Ti it will be EOL'd and remaining stock sold out at RRP before supply of the 3000 series comes in.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
IMO 4K is not here yet (some will no doubt get defensive), either play it @1440p or lower some settings 1 notch.
I will get defensive!! :mad::p

Well I have happily been gaming on 4K for over 4 years now. But then I am happy with 60fps. Many games I can even play lower. So no issues there for me. People that say 4K is not here make the assumption that for it to be here it needs 120fps, but not everyone needs that. I play many games, just none that are twitch or online, so 60 is more than enough for me.

I recon once the 3070 comes out I will be golden for a long time. Especially if DLSS which apparently now has been fixed and is much better works properly.

Associate
This whole Samsung 10nm rumor is obvious BS. The 10nm process just wasn't suitable for large GPUs. If it was then Turing would have been fabbed on 10nm. Besides that, 7nm EUV is a mature process with high yields. Moreover, the EUV varient is much cheaper and easier to design and fab than the regular 7nm DUV and also acts as a stepping stone to 5nm EUV as the 7nm DUV is a bit of a dead end (although there night be a 6nm from TSMC which is DUV).
As for capacity, after the summer Apple will move to 5nm and TSMC will be desperate for 7nmEUV customers, of which Nvidia is one of their primary customers.

I take it you missed the stuff about AMD doubling their 7nm wafers at TSMC, essentially buying up all of Apple's capacity when they make the shift to 5nm.

bru

bru

Soldato
I take it all those who have to have every setting maxed out are using 8*AA or higher. Or is it a case of nah I don't do that even though it shoots my max setting argument out the window.:p:D:p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I take it you missed the stuff about AMD doubling their 7nm wafers at TSMC, essentially buying up all of Apple's capacity when they make the shift to 5nm.
He only follows Nvidia news :p

I take it all those who have to have every setting maxed out are using 8*AA or higher. Or is it a case of nah I don't do that even though it shoots my max setting argument out the window.:p:D:p
I use no aa in many games. Better image quality as a result and saves on grunt. Win win.

Won’t be until 8K that we get to a point where we won’t need it in any game. For me anyway. But I won’t be making the switch to 8K for a very long time due to graphics card prices going looney.

Soldato
Except that's not what the claim was either.

The claim was no performance increase at the same price point, the 2070 came out at the same price as a 1080, but was 5-10% faster, and had RTX as well. That's a performance boost at the same price point. Similarly the 2080 vs the 1080Ti, same launch price, small performance increase plus RTX.

Did you look at the benchmarks in the link? Same money. Same performance. That's what they wrote and that's what the benchmarks demonstrated.

Associate

16xSSAA in Arma 3 really is pretty! I do think that there's little point in upping the resolution if you can't at least run the same image quality settings but clearly some think otherwise. Having said that there are few games I can really max at 4K with 1080ti SLI but I always try and always want to and I'm always a bit peeved when I have to make that compromise.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
16xSSAA in Arma 3 really is pretty! I do think that there's little point in upping the resolution if you can't at least run the same image quality settings but clearly some think otherwise. Having said that there are few games I can really max at 4K with 1080ti SLI but I always try and always want to and I'm always a bit peeved when I have to make that compromise.
Lol.

Soldato

SLI is long dead

HRL

HRL

Soldato
The higher resolution you go the less AA you need. I haven't been able to tell any difference between x8 and x16 at 4k, and not using any AA is often visually acceptable.
Upping resolution itself is an increase in visual quality, or there would be no point.

Yep, AA is the first thing I switch off at 4K. It's just not worth using as visually I can't tell the difference with it on at that res, least not in the games that I play.

Soldato
The higher resolution you go the less AA you need. I haven't been able to tell any difference between x8 and x16 at 4k, and not using any AA is often visually acceptable.
Upping resolution itself is an increase in visual quality, or there would be no point.

Yep, AA is the first thing I switch off at 4K. It's just not worth using as visually I can't tell the difference with it on at that res, least not in the games that I play.

I only use the lowest possible aa if I do at all just to take the edge off lol puntastic

edit: also

Last edited:
Associate
I know re:resolution but I'm 40inch 4K and wear glasses and its still easy for me to tell in a lot of games. Sure 4K on a 24 inch monitor or even 27" I also might struggle but I had a Samsung 4K 27inch and my response was meh.
Step up to a decent size monitor for full immersion and pretty much every game I own I can see the difference between 2xAA, VS xAA vs 8xAA. Its subtle but its definitely there and more obvious than a lot of the RTX stuff I've seen touted.
Its the crawlies/jaggies that really get to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom