• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
That's available on monitors now 4k 120hz. I asked for those that are 5 years ahead.

And those 4 links are the same TV. One TV. You said the TV market was ahead of the monitor market by 5 years.

You need to stop editing your posts to make yourself sound right.

Linus says the input lag in that TV is easily as good as a high end gaming monitor after LG fixed the poor input lag only in that TV that came out in December. And you cant do 4k 120hz on those until GFX cards come out with HDMI 2.1.

try again

You dig yourself some deep holes pal. You are as entertaining as 4k8k - and as knowledgeable. You funny :D

Soldato
You selectively choose to ignore all the other features and pretend like cheap IPS panels PC monitors use is somehow comparable, typical. Oh well keep on in denial :D

All the other features? OK then please list them. So far you have only mentioned contrast and associated black levels......measured in nits. Well there are PC monitors that have 1000nits

What's all these other features then? Comes with a remote?

Still waiting for these TV's with tech 5 years ahead, and the features they have!

Looking towards the top of your hole - it must seem like a speck of light now. Well done, you've dug deep.

Associate
If I cant get 40%+ uplift from my 1080ti for the same money as i payed for my 1080ti I will be buying a ps5.
I think the 3080 will fit this but all depends on pricing, if they keep the current 2000 series pricing or raise it I'm out.
Hopefully AMD can fit this criteria aswell.
Been building PCs for over 20years, would be a shame to just keep what I've got to play my steam library but greed in the gpu market would force me out.
I could easily buy the top gpu without it effecting my bank much but I cant stand getting ripped off, always need to feel like I'm getting a good deal.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If I cant get 40%+ uplift from my 1080ti for the same money as i payed for my 1080ti I will be buying a ps5.
I think the 3080 will fit this but all depends on pricing, if they keep the current 2000 series pricing or raise it I'm out.
Been building PCs for over 20years, would be a shame to just keep what I've got to play my steam library but greed in the gpu market would force me out.
I could easily buy the top gpu without it effecting my bank much but I cant stand getting ripped off, always need to feel like I'm getting a good deal.
Seems we have more things in common apart from our good taste in resi games :D

I could get a Titan RTX, but would not be able to enjoy it due to the feeling of being ripped off. I would likely need to have close to a 7 figure net worth to not feel this way. One day maybe, should be doable by the time I reach Kaapstad’s age :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems we have more things in common apart from our good test in resi games :D

I could get a Titan RTX, but would not be able to enjoy it due to the feeling of being ripped off. I would likely need to have close to a 7 figure net worth to not feel this way. One day maybe, should be doable by the time I reach Kaapstad’s age :p

Same - still don't feel right on the reduced at £750 monitor I just bought.

Though once we get gfx cards that will do 4k @ 120hz with all max settings and turn off all the settings within a game to make potato resolutions look better, will you need greater gfx cards? I guess for added things like better physics etc. But 4k 120+hz will be enough for many. Could argue that 8k will be the next step but would have to see 8k @ 120hz vs 4k@ 120hz would be worth it. Maybe dual 4k screens in your VR headset will take some driving! Maybe they are setting these prices as they may see it stalling after they get to gfx cards that will do 4k @ high fps

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

prepare for cost at same price as 2000 series, no less. Usual markup applies during early release phase due to lack of supply. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Though once we get gfx cards that will do 4k @ 120hz with all max settings and turn off all the settings within a game to make potato resolutions look better, will you need greater gfx cards? I guess for added things like better physics etc. But 4k 120+hz will be enough for many. Could argue that 8k will be the next step but would have to see 8k @ 120hz vs 4k@ 120hz would be worth it. Maybe dual 4k screens in your VR headset will take some driving! Maybe they are setting these prices as they may see it stalling after they get to gfx cards that will do 4k @ high fps
I am happy with 4K 60FPS so I think a 3070 will be more than enough. As you say I turn of so many settings people love to keep on (you know, must play maxed out) that helps with fps and improves image quality by having them off :D

Soldato
The c9 looks like a nice screen but after reading about stuttering i probably would not consider it, my big 1080p Plasma has that same issue which is sometimes visible on pans etc, and i think it was bought in 2011 which was the (or one of the) best screens available at the time. They should not have any kind of stutter, especially not today.

Caporegime

Don't forget games use a lot of tricks to give you the playable framerates you get with today's GPUs. Like pop-in, rendering stuff at much lower detail the further away it is, approximating lighting and shadows, etc, etc, etc.

More powerful GPUs might not give you ever-increasing framerates, but they could give you better detail, fewer pop-ins, more accurate lighting... a whole host of things.

Associate
Seems we have more things in common apart from our good taste in resi games :D

Ha ha absolutely, we are both clearly well rounded, intellectual gentlemen :p
I just wont fork out cash for nothing, my man maths wont compute these new prices per performance.
I think 40% improvement in what 3 years? For same money is very very little to expect.
Back in the day we would be expecting 150% increase in 3 years. It's a joke no matter how anyone tries to spin it.
The thought of getting a console on launch day is cool tho, havnt done that in a long time.

Soldato
OK please show us where you got that lovely nugget of information, as I calling bull on that right from the start.:eek:

Well just quickly jumping onto the website of the largest TV seller store in my country, here is the TV models they have for sale as of today by resolution.

As you can see not only is 1080p an extremely small part of the new market now but the number of 8k TVs for sale is nearly on par with 1080p!

if any of this comes as a surprise to you, you either haven't kept up with market trends (under a rock) or the market in the UK must be a lot less progressive.

2pnic5az.tbq.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't forget games use a lot of tricks to give you the playable framerates you get with today's GPUs. Like pop-in, rendering stuff at much lower detail the further away it is, approximating lighting and shadows, etc, etc, etc.

More powerful GPUs might not give you ever-increasing framerates, but they could give you better detail, fewer pop-ins, more accurate lighting... a whole host of things.

True ^ But I consider those settings as settings I'd want to set to max as those effects enhance at all resolutions. The settings I'm talking about are to enhance lower resolution image quality, or tricks perceiving so, such as Post processing, Anti Aliasing, Blur, DSR, super-sampling, sharpening etc.

Review benches just turn everything to max for 4k when some of it should be off, but on for 1080, medium or so for 1440. so review benches are just apples to apples comparison but aren't really representative. A score for the masses, not the enthusiast. Those putting every setting to max, are doing it wrong.

I understand why reviewers do it for benches but many misinterpret benchmark performance for real world.

Soldato

For that you also need DX12/Vulkan and a more powerful CPU. The CPU we have, the will for devs to use such APIs... not so much.

Soldato
Well just quickly jumping onto the website of the largest TV seller store in my country, here is the TV models they have for sale as of today by resolution.

As you can see not only is 1080p an extremely small part of the new market now but the number of 8k TVs for sale is nearly on par with 1080p!

if any of this comes as a surprise to you, you either haven't kept up with market trends (under a rock) or the market in the UK must be a lot less progressive.

2pnic5az.tbq.png

Show me the ones 5 years ahead, I'm ready to buy one. I read that that LG C9 you linked suffers from stutter and can only do 1440p @ 120hz.

I'm waiting to see 'just the reality of it'.

WAITING!!!!

Back
Top Bottom