Valve Index availability rumour

Soldato
OP
I'd love to get one but the price has to come down. I'd bite at around £300 not 3 times that amount.

It is very expensive, but the top of the range PC equipment always is. The Rift S gets you most of the experience of the index, and is only £400, and has been as low as £350. However it is like comparing a base model car to the top of the range one with all the extras. Sure both will get you to your destination, but the more expensive one gives you more bells and whistles and better overall experience and performance.

That said, for the price of an Index you can get a Rift S and a Quest, and still have over £100 left for games. Ouch. :eek: I wouldn't be getting mine if I hadn't had a nice bonus from Work at Christmas that I've been saving specifically for this.

Soldato
Was interested in placing an order for one of these, been reading up and watching videos and even at over 900 quid it has issues.

People complaining about pixel inversion as well as glare off the lenses, seems a bit much for something that's quite expensive IMO. But then I'm also waiting for the next round of Nvidia GPUs, so maybe I'll wait until these headsets get better.
Surprised that something Valve released would have any kind of issue like that.

Associate
£1K for a vr headset and some sensors and controllers.

I'd love to get one but the price has to come down. I'd bite at around £300 not 3 times that amount.
Fair enough, it is a lot of money to part with. But putting things in perspective, a good monitor, an average TV, or a high-end phone can cost more than the full Index package.

Soldato
OP
A TV, monitor or phone I'm going to be using every day several times and for several hours.

A vr headset maybe once a fortnight.

Different people, different use-cases. I've used my Rift CV1 for hundreds of hours and expect to use the Index as much or more. On top of that I have an Quest and a Go which get regular use too.

Associate
Different people, different use-cases. I've used my Rift CV1 for hundreds of hours and expect to use the Index as much or more. On top of that I have an Quest and a Go which get regular use too.
Agreed. I use my Vive Pro quite regularly. Have an expensive phone, but only use a fraction of what it's capable of sadly. :(

Soldato
OP
One of the good things I've found out about the index is that the lighthouses can be used upside down, which means one of them can use an existing ceiling mount I have for a Rift CV1 sensor. This uses a car camera windscreen mount which has a heavy duty sticky pad to stick to the ceiling. I happen to have a spare sticky mount ready for the other lighthouse, as the placing will be different from my CV1 rear sensor.

Associate
I tried using suction-cup mounts on my lighthouses originally. As expected my walls are simply not smooth enough. Also tried heavy-duty double-sided strips. They worked...for about an hour before the vibrations slowly worked them loose (I fortunately had a safety string attached or it would have been rather expensive!)

Soldato
OP
That's a good point that the lighthouses vibrate so it may not be as secure as I'd like. (Rift cameras are solid state of course). Still I can screw them into the wall if necessary, though it's plasterboard so I might need better screws.

Soldato
OP
Well Parcelforce have been sitting on my Index at the local depot (probably literally) all day, despite saying they'd deliver it today. :(

Looks like it'll be next week now.

Associate
I've just had a right going on with Parcelforce today. Attempted delivery after asking to deliver direct to the local PO. They didn't try and then they said that some PO's won't take parcels that are too large.
I asked why they didn't state that in the email when I had options to change delivery as I knew I wouldn't be in?
Their response was "It's only a request and not a guarantee that we will deliver to a PO or neighbour".

Fuming tbh and now can't get a redelivery until Tuesday at the earliest, yet the option to deliver to the local PO (which won't accept the parcel apparently) is still available....WTF.

I'll probably go pick it up on Tuesday from the Depot which is about an hour away than arsing around any longer.
Oh and the robbing sods wanted to charge me £12 for a Saturday delivery which I found outrageous, especially when I deliver parcels for Royal Mail 6 days a week, including Saturdays for the same price!

Soldato
OP
Really poor customer service. Luckily my employers have told me to work from home so I didn't have to take a day off. I'd be fuming if I had.

Soldato
I didn't have to take a day off. I'd be fuming if I had

My employer went one better, I was heading home to take delivery within five minutes of arriving at work. Paid for the full day, after explaining like an excited child that I had to go.....

Sure I understand your anguish with it being so close, but the greater good is you've secured one:)

Soldato
OP
My employer went one better, I was heading home to take delivery within five minutes of arriving at work. Paid for the full day, after explaining like an excited child that I had to go.....

Sure I understand your anguish with it being so close, but the greater good is you've secured one:)

I console myself that I have three other VR headsets I can play on until the Index arrives :p

Associate
Still dont know why companies use parcelforce they have always been dreadful in my experience. When my index was due to be delivered Parcelforce guy went to next door, there was no one in and then proceeded to drive off. I saw him going and luckily got in contact with the depot and he returned later that day.

Back
Top Bottom